August 08, 2020, 04:12:03 PM

Author Topic: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread  (Read 39947 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread
« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2017, 09:44:10 PM »
@mjolnir, I can't send you a message (and summoning isn't working right either), so I'm telling you here that you can't delete posts (because somebody once deleted a whole thread he started because he didn't agree with the way the discussion went and we have disabled it since then) and that I did it for you.

Rage-quitting, forum edition.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline LightRunner

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2017, 01:34:16 AM »
Finished a first draft today, so I should be able to get it through an edit and down to 1500 words by the deadline.

Offline DevinBM

« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2017, 02:24:32 AM »
Y'all be makin me nervous. Why is everyone such good authors?  :-[

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2017, 03:31:11 AM »
Y'all be makin me nervous. Why is everyone such good authors?  :-[

aha!  we're discovered!  it's all a clever ruse to get you to be nervous!

<insert cardboard villain laugh>

but, seriously -- no way, man.  we're all learning!  some of us have just been doing it a bit longer.  working up more entries.  eventually, you'll be there too!

but, to be honest, this is less a contest than a big ol' club where the only membership requirement is that you write a story.  stretching, challenging yourself, reading other interpretations of the same topic, critiques at the end, it's all a growing process.

we get excited when more people enter.  we get excited when other people read our stuff.  we get excited to practice.

winning?  meh.  whatever.  nbd.

working with a deadline?  awesome.

getting someone to read your stuff and give opinions on it?  awesome.

deconstructing others' writing and offering a critique?  awesome.

these are all things that will grow your toolset as a writer.  it's a super-fabulous thing.

tho, keep in mind, this is all coming from a guy who, while driving through the countryside, STILL points out the window and hollers, "look! horses!!"

yay!  mad props for having the courage to take the first step!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2017, 10:07:04 AM »
You are so fab, m3m ;D ;D

I also add, from the perspective of a non-writer, that I love reading all these stories! Some are more my style than others, but all this time (basically 3 years :o) of reading has also extended my comfort zone, making me read different things and be open to whole books outside that zone :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline DevinBM

« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2017, 12:30:57 PM »
Thanks guys. I think the main reason for the nerves is coming from the fact that I never write in 1st person POV and have never written a character that acts and thinks the way Jonathan acts from my entry.

It was definitely stretching outside my comfort zone. When my wife read my entry she was like, "What did you do? You never write like that." Of course my brain went, "OH CRAP ITS HORRIBLE!", but I entered it anyway because why not? Plus, I'd never get feedback on it if I don't put it out there.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »
Thanks guys. I think the main reason for the nerves is coming from the fact that I never write in 1st person POV and have never written a character that acts and thinks the way Jonathan acts from my entry.

It was definitely stretching outside my comfort zone. When my wife read my entry she was like, "What did you do? You never write like that." Of course my brain went, "OH CRAP ITS HORRIBLE!", but I entered it anyway because why not? Plus, I'd never get feedback on it if I don't put it out there.

that's the spirit!

/highfive

you don't get better at your craft until you get out of your own head -- because you don't know what you don't know about your writing.

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2017, 08:59:28 PM »
I've written...a little bit more. Nothing is coming out right and with everything going on around here I'm surprised I've had any focus whatsoever.
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #143 on: January 28, 2017, 02:52:34 PM »
@tebakutis:

Sorry I didn't see your post until today, but am very happy you used my story to promote the contest. I got a great kick out of the Twitter post and seeing one of my lines show up.

And hello everyone.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline gennerik

« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2017, 10:57:46 PM »
Hello, Jmack.

DevinBM, m3mnoch is correct. We're all learning, and honestly, even most established authors are constantly learning. Don't be discouraged by comparing your work to others, especially here. Personally, I consider my writing high quality, but I love when people critique it, because it helps me get better. Just write as well as you can, and be willing to take thoughtful feedback (though you don't have to take it all.  You should be developing your own style, not trying to mimic someone else). Before you know it, you'll be helping other people that are less confident in their writing.
Author of Lamentation's Peak
Part-time Dreamer / Full-time Speaker

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2017, 11:39:23 PM »
@tebakutis:

Sorry I didn't see your post until today, but am very happy you used my story to promote the contest. I got a great kick out of the Twitter post and seeing one of my lines show up.

And hello everyone.  ;D
I'll second that, and I loved the line of mine that was used.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2017, 01:11:55 AM »
Even with three days left, and no proper back up, I'm still not sure I want my current story to be my final one. What a dreadful pickle.

"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2017, 06:56:13 PM »
Wait. There's three days left? I thought there was only today and tomorrow? Cool. Maybe I can fix some of the problems I got in my writing then. It's...another rushed looking one.
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline DevinBM

« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2017, 07:03:34 PM »
I refuse to edit mine anymore. I looked at it and changed things incessantly for a week, and it drove me crazy. Last minute changes will just mess it all up for me. It's on there as is, and if it's junk, at least I'll find out in a few days. LOL  :o

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2017, 07:04:47 PM »
I still need to wrap up the final scene. I'm trying to do that now. It's HAARRRRDDDDD.....  :'(