March 24, 2017, 05:50:28 PM

Author Topic: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread  (Read 6249 times)

Online Alex Hormann

Re: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2017, 02:58:50 PM »
I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying writing this. Almost enough to make me *read* some Urban Fantasy.

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2017, 03:11:22 PM »
As expected, I didn't even start it yet  ::)

But I think I have a good idea and threw in some notes.

How about setting some goals for you first month and not delaying closure by two days? How about trying to submit before the last minute, hmm?  ::)
Somehow I think that only me being really strict and locking the thread at midnight on the 31st will make him learn... I'm too nice for my own good ;) ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Online Lanko

• Writing Contest Regular, Sherlanko Holmes and Jiin Wei
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2017, 03:56:29 PM »
As expected, I didn't even start it yet  ::)

But I think I have a good idea and threw in some notes.

How about setting some goals for you first month and not delaying closure by two days? How about trying to submit before the last minute, hmm?  ::)
Somehow I think that only me being really strict and locking the thread at midnight on the 31st will make him learn... I'm too nice for my own good ;) ;D

Fine, fine, I will surprise you all by posting it before the deadline! In fact, I will not even be the last this month, how about it!

And if I fail, it won't get posted after! So I will also spare everyone the extra wait for the voting thread and also prevent Bea from having to sound bossy!

Ah, New Year promises  ::)   
“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2017, 04:13:16 PM »
I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying writing this. Almost enough to make me *read* some Urban Fantasy.

right?!?

i just finished my story.  cleaned it up.  now, letting it sit.

but, yeah -- reading it again not only makes me want to read wider in urban fantasy, but it makes me want to write this character as my next book.  man, that would be fun.

Online Lordoftheword

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2017, 04:23:58 PM »

right?!?

i just finished my story.  cleaned it up.  now, letting it sit.

but, yeah -- reading it again not only makes me want to read wider in urban fantasy, but it makes me want to write this character as my next book.  man, that would be fun.

Oooooo I'm excited to read your story now!

After missing the Dragons month, I vow to have a story submitted before the 31st. If I fail, @Nora may have my first-born and I'll bequeath my entire first novel's earnings to January's winner. Unfortunately, that person will be far from rich and the money is already spent...but still!

I've raised the stakes...damn  :o
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Godling
  • The mind loves to race at night
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2017, 07:37:28 PM »
I've stalled with mine so far. The most concrete thing I've come up with is the setting is a train. I've toyed with some ideas, characters, and other settings. None of the ideas or characters, however, have panned out and the setting keeps going back to trains.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2017, 08:23:11 PM »
I've stalled with mine so far. The most concrete thing I've come up with is the setting is a train. I've toyed with some ideas, characters, and other settings. None of the ideas or characters, however, have panned out and the setting keeps going back to trains.

oooh.  a train!  that sounds fun.

i went with demons, rock salt, and a car chase.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2017, 08:42:36 PM »

So your standard episode of Supernatural, then?

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2017, 08:44:19 PM »

So your standard episode of Supernatural, then?

exactly!!

but, since this is me, there's a twist!

lemme finish up this photoshop work for the image, and i'll post it.

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Godling
  • The mind loves to race at night
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2017, 09:59:12 PM »

After some reflection I've realized my problem is coming from the train. Part of me is afraid I'll end up with some Murder on the Oriental Express parody with fantasy highlights. The other part is saying "shut up and go with it, you might get something you like."

Now that I've properly identified the two halves the "shut up and go" half is beginning to win.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2017, 10:34:13 PM »

After some reflection I've realized my problem is coming from the train. Part of me is afraid I'll end up with some Murder on the Oriental Express parody with fantasy highlights. The other part is saying "shut up and go with it, you might get something you like."

Now that I've properly identified the two halves the "shut up and go" half is beginning to win.

i support that decision.  all the best gunfights always happen on trains.

go with it!

RIDE THAT TRAIN!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2017, 11:44:11 PM »
Well, I'm going on with a demoted-sup-homicide-detective now magical-vandalism-inspector on the trail of an infamous street artist, never caught before, who uses spells and alchemical paints to make magical animated or 3D art and other cool effects.
Cop vs vandal, no car chase but some car stake outs, some donut eating...
So really a crime on the orient express sounds sweet-as to me! Go @NightWrite no one wants to read the story you think you should write. We want to read the story you would enjoy writing.

Then, WHY would I get your firstborn child, @Lordoftheword ?? I don't want it! I know how painful children are, for your wallet, your social life, your peace of mind, your general wellness... Any children left on my doorstep will be sold to the circus.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2017, 01:11:13 AM »
Well, since we're sharing...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm going with an inexperienced witch living in her billionaire father's condo in the 3rd highest skyscraper in Manhattan, hiding out at 800 feet high from the urban spirits that feed on magical energy.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online Lordoftheword

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2017, 01:32:44 AM »
Then, WHY would I get your firstborn child, @Lordoftheword ?? I don't want it! I know how painful children are, for your wallet, your social life, your peace of mind, your general wellness... Any children left on my doorstep will be sold to the circus.

Off to the circus with it then!

Ooo...I think you just gave me an idea for a story  ;D
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2017, 03:45:48 PM »
btw, for the curious, my story image this month is a mashup of these two photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rogersview/6782672381/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kipsoep/8733341084/

since i couldn't find a decent copyright-permissible photo with demons or a nighttime car chase or rock salt shotguns.

so, the custom end result:

Tags: