April 28, 2017, 10:36:55 PM

Author Topic: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread  (Read 7400 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2017, 07:16:37 AM »
Awesome idea, Eric! Really like it! :D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2017, 01:52:15 PM »
@tebakutis - Awesome idea, Eric. I totally support this.
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2017, 05:57:04 PM »
man, my story is turning out fun.  tho, i want MORE WORDS.  this is exactly the kind of thing that could be blown out into a much longer story or book.

you guys would be proud of me.  i'm even writing it in first person!  lookit me stretch!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2017, 06:56:43 PM »
man, my story is turning out fun.  tho, i want MORE WORDS.  this is exactly the kind of thing that could be blown out into a much longer story or book.

you guys would be proud of me.  i'm even writing it in first person!  lookit me stretch!

Very funny! I started in present tense, first person, quickly moved to past tense, now rewrote the whole thing in third person, past tense, going all sad and traditional. We're crossing paths! Please, try to apply present tense m3m.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2017, 06:57:39 PM »
I'm struggling to get my story out of present-1st person myself!
What is this disease?  :o
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2017, 07:08:34 PM »
I'm struggling to get my story out of present-1st person myself!
What is this disease?  :o

It ain't no disease! It's just my relentless wotk to make you all appreciate present tense finally coming to fruition.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2017, 07:17:53 PM »
Wow, I was also thinking of giving a shot for 1st person present tense this month. Apparently it's popular in UF. And I'm also reading City of Stairs which uses it.

But maybe I will stick with 3rd in the end.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2017, 08:40:53 PM »
Not so sure about the present tense, but 1st person is what a lot of UF does seem to be written in. Something about the subgenre just lends itself to first person story telling.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2017, 09:27:24 PM »
Wow, I was also thinking of giving a shot for 1st person present tense this month. Apparently it's popular in UF. And I'm also reading City of Stairs which uses it.

Oh wow, looking forward to your opinion on that.

Not so sure about the present tense, but 1st person is what a lot of UF does seem to be written in. Something about the subgenre just lends itself to first person story telling.

Yeah, that's true, but it often is what fails with me. I find the 'voice' of the characters, from american authors at least, to have a tedious "samey" tone, and often bore me. The Devil You know by Carey, had me snort and DNF on first page.  :-\
I think first person suits me depending on the character's voice. Is it stronger than my will to just tell the story? Sometimes I feel a strong narrative voice, and I write 3rd person. I don't question that choice much. In this case I changed because I needed to tell a lot and could do more by 3rd person than through one man's eyes.

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2017, 09:52:03 PM »
University deadlines done and dusted, so I've made a start on this month's contest. I have a good feeling about this.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2017, 12:39:30 PM »
Everything is pretty dead quiet here this month. Not much chatter here, and still no contribution by the 11th!

I'm trying to wrap up my story but I keep re-writing it down, try to make it more fluid. I've rarely had this many 'version' of a work conflicting. Every other day I think of more and more natural ways to make this thing flow.

I'm following a cop again this time. He's got an enjoyable point of view. I'm getting a liking to writing law enforcement people.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2017, 02:22:07 PM »
i'm putting the finishing touches on my first draft this morning.  then, letting it sit for a bit.  making sure i like it.

it'd be weird if i finished first.

oooh!  i've never been first!

*starts arting even harder*

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2017, 02:23:59 PM »
I'm often pretty quick about submitting, but this month I'm taking a knee.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2017, 02:31:13 PM »
As expected, I didn't even start it yet  ::)

But I think I have a good idea and threw in some notes.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2017, 02:36:15 PM »
As expected, I didn't even start it yet  ::)

But I think I have a good idea and threw in some notes.

How about setting some goals for you first month and not delaying closure by two days? How about trying to submit before the last minute, hmm?  ::)

Tags: