June 19, 2019, 10:22:42 PM

Author Topic: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread  (Read 26302 times)

Offline gennerik

Re: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread
« Reply #195 on: February 06, 2017, 12:45:45 AM »
Oh, but that's so far away....
Author of Lamentation's Peak
Part-time Dreamer / Full-time Speaker

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 06, 2017, 09:20:44 AM »
Oh, but that's so far away....

It's logical, because it's a monthly event. So people start writing on the new month, and do some critics on the side (sadly, few people actually critic, sometimes even after receiving critics of their own). We also have a new voting. Each month we write, vote, and eventually critic, all on three different topics.
It's well spaced out and it works. I don't think people would be as involved otherwise. Most voters have not even read your story yet. Many will read and vote but not say what they thought of it. And maybe some would not bother to vote if they were forced to review.
It's also good because it gives you time away from your story. A whole month is long enough to distance yourself and see if you did so good a job, and also read the others' stories.
So it's a good system. Mostly people get what they want.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline gennerik

« Reply #197 on: February 06, 2017, 12:49:27 PM »
I understand. I'm just always eager to have the chance for people to tell me what they think of my writing (I believe the proper term for it is Newb). Writing is amazing, but I've found that it's incredibly difficult to get feedback, which is annoying since that's how you improve. So while the system in place works really well, I'm just impatient. Probably because this is the first competition that I've entered.
Author of Lamentation's Peak
Part-time Dreamer / Full-time Speaker

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 06, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
I understand. I'm just always eager to have the chance for people to tell me what they think of my writing (I believe the proper term for it is Newb). Writing is amazing, but I've found that it's incredibly difficult to get feedback, which is annoying since that's how you improve. So while the system in place works really well, I'm just impatient. Probably because this is the first competition that I've entered.

You'll get used to it in no time, and soon realise how fast things actually go here. I mean, compared to other places where you can wait for a few months before you know if you won or not, and likely get zero feedback...

If you want immediate review, you can share things you've written in the critic section (though obviously not the story under vote). But keep in mind that the more you review others, the more likely you're to get reviews in return.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #199 on: March 01, 2017, 01:47:19 AM »

You'll get used to it in no time, and soon realise how fast things actually go here. I mean, compared to other places where you can wait for a few months before you know if you won or not, and likely get zero feedback...

If you want immediate review, you can share things you've written in the critic section (though obviously not the story under vote). But keep in mind that the more you review others, the more likely you're to get reviews in return.

You're not alone-- I feel the same way you do @gennerik  but alas we are outnumbered :)

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #200 on: March 01, 2017, 04:23:08 PM »
heh.  just look at it as good practice for the patience required when you start submitting work for publication.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #201 on: March 02, 2017, 03:18:44 PM »
Oh man, winning stories are being posted fast and furious on the main page now. :0 I will catch the Twitter feed up soon!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #202 on: March 02, 2017, 06:17:05 PM »
Oh man, winning stories are being posted fast and furious on the main page now. :0 I will catch the Twitter feed up soon!

There's a main page?  :o  :o

;) 8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com