February 24, 2017, 05:22:52 PM

Author Topic: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread  (Read 4600 times)

Offline SugoiMe

Re: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2017, 02:28:13 AM »
I have an idea...maybe.
"A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit." -- Richard Bach

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 05:34:17 AM »
I've never read any Urban Fantasy, let alone written any. Still going to give it a go though.

Mc is badass, regardless of other talents. Town is either big urban, or american midwest crossroad with cacti and tumbleweed. Weres run free, vamps are mean but will still have safe sex with you, mediums are a thing, they're often geeky, and sometimes keep company to witches.
Everyone owns bars, and everyone does their misdeeds at night. Lots of recreational sex, and lots of sheriff county officers. Lots of "ma'am".

Or maybe I don't read enough European UF.
UF doesn't need vampires, werewolves, sex or interspecies romance.
A lot of Paranormal Romance has a UF setting but it's not the other way round. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lanko

• Writing Contest Regular, Sherlanko Holmes and Jiin Wei
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 05:49:42 AM »
UF doesn't need vampires, werewolves, sex or interspecies romance.
A lot of Paranormal Romance has a UF setting but it's not the other way round. ;)

I don't know if that freed me options or limited me... I think I've read three UF stories last year. And two were actually supernatural Horror.

Anyway, the things Nora mentioned were exactly what first came to mind as well, hah.

Just in case I don't have any "serious" ideas, now I'm keeping an empty file with some silly comical title, currently My Dog Is A Werewolf. Oh, it needs interspecies romance. *Switches MC for teen girl protagonist*. Hm, or maybe invert the expected tropes and make it a teen boy and a female dog...

The things we think  ::)

(edited by SB to delete the double quote)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 06:41:28 AM by ScarletBea »
“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”

Online ScarletBea

• The colour of Courage, Force, Passion, Heart and Joy & the wondrous Mistress of Cake
  • Ringbearer
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 06:40:04 AM »
I hardly ever read UF, but last year *someone* made me read the first book of Peter Grant stories (Ben Aaronovitch) and I quite enjoyed it, continue to read the series.
Think of it as a detective/crime story set in London with magic :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 09:29:01 AM »
Does Harry Potter qualify as UF? It's really not my thing, at least, I don't think it is.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Lanko

• Writing Contest Regular, Sherlanko Holmes and Jiin Wei
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »
Does Harry Potter qualify as UF? It's really not my thing, at least, I don't think it is.

Pretty sure it does. There are various scenes in real London. Harry with his uncle, aunt and cousin. With Ron's family. They buy their wands and brooms in London. Even some battles where some important people die. Hogwarts is a parallel location inside our world. And even to access it you go to a London station. There's also some laws and "police" to prevent/cover magic usage in the "muggle world".

“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 09:52:06 AM »
I liked the Dresden Files (read 2?) but they didn't move me. I think at the time I was engrossed with Abercrombie's books, to which, a candle, they hold not.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Jmack

• Clueless Morgan and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • We are all Swedes now!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 11:46:17 AM »
Whoa.

Was looking around for pictures to illustrate my point above, when I fell into the image of @Jmack upcoming UF story (RIGHT???) and at the same time Aktu came to my mind, the words "Rev! REV! turn around!!" came shrieking forth.

Wow. I love this picture.
And the idea of Atku making a non-humorous appearance really appeals.
You're the best, @Nora!
(I mean, the best along with ScarletBea, and M3mnoch, and Gem Cutter, and.... 8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
I just got a start on the Dresden books, so this is very timely  ;D I'm also working on an Urban Fantasy freelance novel, so I'm already in the zone!

I tend to agree with TGC about Jim Butcher's Dresden books - they're not moving me. But I hear they really improve around Book 4 or 5, so maybe I'll slug it out and enjoy a light read. Also agreed that they don't hold a candle to Abercrombie. But really...who does ;) (He's my favourite author by a mile).

I was chucking around a UF Horror idea last Spring and got a 10k word start on a novel about an excommunicated, alcoholic exorcist that struggles with his sexuality. Threw in demons and angels, trapped spirits and the like, and I've been waiting for a reason to get back into it. It was coming along quite nicely, but got thrown in the trunk for reasons I can't explain or remember. I think it's time I write a short story about Malachai (maybe an origin story?) and get the juices flowing again ^^ So excited!!
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 02:50:54 PM »
I tend to agree with TGC about Jim Butcher's Dresden books - they're not moving me. But I hear they really improve around Book 4 or 5, so maybe I'll slug it out and enjoy a light read.

this is precisely why i bounced on dresden.  i'm certainly not a big enough fan of the genre to put in that kind of effort.  hell, i barely read second books in good authors' series.  there's just too much other stuff out there for me to commit that much time to one world.

heh.  but, yeah.  i've even had friends tell me to just skip the first three books.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2017, 08:10:44 PM »
I'm finishing up my story. Starring a cop and an artist.
I went from writing 900 words of pure dialogue between a mummy and the person working on understanding its restoration to life, to 1,000 words of a completely different nature, without more than a couple of lines of dialogue all told.
I think I'll be happy with this idea once I'm done with it. No one dies or anything in it, it's not too dark, just broody. Go figure.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2017, 11:31:01 PM »
To those who couldn't get into Dresden I'd suggest trying Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series. They're UF with a bit of a twist.
Got an idea for this, but only a small one and don't know if I'll be able to come up with a decent conclusion for it. Faeries are a big part of UF today. Tad Williams classifies The War of the Flowers as UF and his Bobby Dollar series. Larry Correia's Monster Hunter books are UF. Emma Newman also refers to her Split Worlds as UF. Simon Green's Secret Histories books, which are a spoof on James Bond are UF.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2017, 11:49:50 PM »
Anne Rice and Charlaine Harris write great UF, imo. Midnight, Texas is about to get a tv show. Gotta filter, but they do great. Anne Rice half founded the genre.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2017, 12:08:56 AM »
My favorite urban fantasy is probably Terry Brooks' Word and Void Series. While it has ties to his Shannara books, it is set *before* the nuclear cataclysm that remakes the world before the Shannara books begin.

The first book, Running with the Demon, is still one of my favorite books I've ever read by Brooks, and the following books are great as well. But if you're look for "urban fantasy" I heartily recommend it.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist for Glyphbinder

Unrelated best quote ever: "The president has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?"

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2017, 12:14:42 AM »
Anne Rice half founded the genre.
I thought that might be the case, but I am always conflicted with vampires and where they fall, but I suppose there's an area where fantasy and horror overlap.
The Gem Cutter

Tags: