March 28, 2017, 08:37:53 PM

Author Topic: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread  (Read 6421 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
[Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread
« on: December 31, 2016, 11:31:35 AM »
Urban Fantasy

Harry Dresden by The Gryph

We didn't have a genre as our monthly theme for quite a while, so this time we want you to write us a nice, little Urban Fantasy story.
This means that your story should take mainly place in a city. Any city, any time? No. To make it a bit more specific, we'd like you to stay on our world (with added supernatural elements of course) and in contemporary times (+/- 50 years). Having an Urban Fantasy story take place in ancient Rome or in Minas Tirith has its own appeal but would be a totally different theme in our opinion.

Voluntary restriction and/or inspirational spark: Since it's January and the new year has just begun, the story should be about changes, the MC restarting or changing their lives.

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. The genre must be Contemporary Urban Fantasy.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-750 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys next to the 'youtube' symbol.

If you want so submit your story anonymous you can do so by sending it in a personal message to @xiagan.

Entry will close Jan 31th/Feb 1st, 2017 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.
Submitting a story counts as published. The author retains all rights to their work.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
Re: [Jan 2017] - Urban Fantasy - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 11:38:45 AM »
Would anyone believe me that during a quick nap yesterday I actually dreamed the next contest was gonna be Urban Fantasy?  :o :o :o
“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 12:34:52 PM »
Would anyone believe me that during a quick nap yesterday I actually dreamed the next contest was gonna be Urban Fantasy?  :o :o :o

Do a piece on a medium!

I think i know what I'll do, if I manage to make a good end to the beginning I'm thinking of.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 02:11:28 PM »
Such a good theme.
This will be fun.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 03:09:47 PM »
Yeah, say that, instead of admitting you're hacking into xia and my messages ::) ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Godling
  • The mind loves to race at night
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
I'm not gonna lie. I saw this after taking a nap to sleep off the last of my cold and thought I slept through new year's eve.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 09:08:13 PM »

Do a piece on a medium!

I think i know what I'll do, if I manage to make a good end to the beginning I'm thinking of.

Right? Why I didn't dream about the New Year's Lottery? It's accumulated in R$ 200 mi. Now that would've been useful  ::)
“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 09:21:15 PM »
God I hate UF.

*rolls up sleeves*

Let's do this.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 09:52:27 PM »
Hm, someone actually changed my title hah.

I wonder who did it now that the Forum Shop is gone  ::)

They could've added it to appear before Writing Contest Regular though, it took me a while to notice it hah.

Offline Eclipse

• Total eclipse of the dragon's heart
  • Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 10:18:54 PM »
God I hate UF.

*rolls up sleeves*

Let's do this.

Do it in the style of low town @Doctor_Chill
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 04:39:28 PM »
2,015 words and counting between last night and today in a story that doesn't want to fit in a 1,500 limit. I figure it's maybe 25% done. Of course, I have no idea where it's going, so who knows?

I guess I'll need a different idea for Urban Fantasy month.  8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »
2,015 words and counting between last night and today in a story that doesn't want to fit in a 1,500 limit. I figure it's maybe 25% done. Of course, I have no idea where it's going, so who knows?

I guess I'll need a different idea for Urban Fantasy month.  8)

I have 926, pure dialogue, and no idea how it ends and what the goal of each people is. Messy messy!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online Alex Hormann

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 01:16:58 AM »
I've never read any Urban Fantasy, let alone written any. Still going to give it a go though.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 01:26:29 AM »
I've never read any Urban Fantasy, let alone written any. Still going to give it a go though.

Mc is badass, regardless of other talents. Town is either big urban, or american midwest crossroad with cacti and tumbleweed. Weres run free, vamps are mean but will still have safe sex with you, mediums are a thing, they're often geeky, and sometimes keep company to witches.
Everyone owns bars, and everyone does their misdeeds at night. Lots of recreational sex, and lots of sheriff county officers. Lots of "ma'am".

Or maybe I don't read enough European UF.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 01:35:29 AM by Nora »

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 02:15:56 AM »
Whoa.

Was looking around for pictures to illustrate my point above, when I fell into the image of @Jmack upcoming UF story (RIGHT???) and at the same time Aktu came to my mind, the words "Rev! REV! turn around!!" came shrieking forth.

Tags: