September 25, 2020, 01:06:47 AM

Author Topic: [Jan 2016] - Breaking the fourth wall - Discussion Thread  (Read 59121 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
[Jan 2016] - Breaking the fourth wall - Discussion Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2016, 02:19:17 PM »
I'm way too fast, too. And probably even more embarrassed about my accent :P, so kudos to you if you (a non native speaker) are brave enough to do this. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: [Jan 2016] - Breaking the fourth wall - Discussion Thread
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2016, 02:33:31 PM »
For this month I'm thinking of taking things a bit further and do a reading of my story, since it's an inviting first person tale.
Do an audio-short-story. I even started the recording.
This is in addition to posting it in written form here, right? You don't mean that your submission is audio only?
If that was the case, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to vote for it, I completely lose the story if I'm hearing it...

And I think everybody thinks their voice is weird when we hear it 'outside'.
It's quite different to what we hear when we speak, so that's normal - regardless of being a native speaker or not...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2016, 02:46:24 PM »
For this month I'm thinking of taking things a bit further and do a reading of my story, since it's an inviting first person tale.
This is in addition to posting it in written form here, right? You don't mean that your submission is audio only?
If that was the case, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to vote for it, I completely lose the story if I'm hearing it...

And I think everybody thinks their voice is weird when we hear it 'outside'.
It's quite different to what we hear when we speak, so that's normal - regardless of being a native speaker or not...

No, no, of course I'd submit it in written form as well! I wouldn't leave Xiagan with the doubt of the amount of words I'd be blabbering.
You could also read the text at the same time it's spoken, which is apparently the best way to learn (read while it's read), so I guess you'd remember my story xtra well at the time of voting :p

@xiagan : yes, it's so weird isn't it? I speak just fine in my own opinion, and in daily life it doesn't matter (except to older people who do ask me to slow down). But when you record it, then the pace feels completely wrong, compared to professional audio books. They wait way longer after each dot. Also, even though I know exactly what inflection I want, it's harder than I thought to make it right.

Bea, I assure you I have no issue with the timbre of my voice, but with my accent only. I dislike french accent in general, and mine is a weird mix. People often struggle to place it in OZ. But it's what disturbs me. If the recording was in french, then I'd be non plussed!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2016, 02:47:36 PM »

And man, I don't mind my voice but I SO HATE MY ACCENT, it's terrible.

Spent the day asking my colleagues and none seem to think anything about my accent at all. neither cute nor bad or anything really. But when I hear myself, I wonder how they can stand me.  :(

So now I'm not sure I'll do it, out of pure embarrassment!

I'm only telling you guys in case you want to push me into doing it!  :P  :-[
Seriously I'm on the fence here. Just realise how much of an art it is. I speak WAY too fast to be a proper reader voice.
Most people hate to hear their own voice, even when they have a cool voice. (Retelling from my psychology courses somewhere)
You should just go for it, it'd be awesome to hear you do character voices.  :D

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2016, 03:00:39 PM »

And man, I don't mind my voice but I SO HATE MY ACCENT, it's terrible.

Spent the day asking my colleagues and none seem to think anything about my accent at all. neither cute nor bad or anything really. But when I hear myself, I wonder how they can stand me.  :(

So now I'm not sure I'll do it, out of pure embarrassment!

I'm only telling you guys in case you want to push me into doing it!  :P  :-[
Seriously I'm on the fence here. Just realise how much of an art it is. I speak WAY too fast to be a proper reader voice.
Most people hate to hear their own voice, even when they have a cool voice. (Retelling from my psychology courses somewhere)
You should just go for it, it'd be awesome to hear you do character voices.  :D

No no, my voice is fine!! It's my bloody accent!!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2016, 03:09:30 PM »
I'm sure that's fine too ;)

When speaking english, I've been told I have: german, russian, and scandinavian accent. Never portuguese ::)
Henry, what did you think?

I just think I have *my* accent, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2016, 03:11:42 PM »

When speaking english, I've been told I have: german, russian, and scandinavian accent. Never portuguese ::)

As it is, custies always ask me where I'm from, and when they guess wrong I mostly get : south african, israel, eastern european, swedish or norwegian, german or italian or spanish.
I think it mostly reflects how poorly traveled many australians are  ;D

But you're right Bea, accents can become quite personal as you get accustomed to different ones and practice.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2016, 03:14:51 PM »

I thought southern european. Eg spain, italy and slovenia.

Reading Nora's stuff, she is an offworld creature that speaks in tongues  ;)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2016, 03:20:45 PM »

I thought southern european. Eg spain, italy and slovenia.

Reading Nora's stuff, she is an offworld creature that speaks in tongues  ;)

Soooo, Pentecostal? ;D
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

For book reviews - https://acerbicwriting.com/

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2016, 03:22:15 PM »
@m3mnoch

I have a similar hangover. I have an email signature, which is my name (God forbid I tell any of you that though) in lowercase preceded by an obviously erroneous full stop. Let's say my name is bob for instance.
you know it's from me when it ends like this,
.bob

(also a nod to dot syntax in programming -nerdy nerdy nerd nerd)  :D

oh, i'm totally gonna find it now.

Code: [Select]

$: cat wakarimasen | grep -E '\..' | sed -e 's/.*\(\..*\)$/\1/' | sed -e 's/\.//' | awk '{print $1;}'

ha!  programmer nerd humor!

As it is, custies always ask me where I'm from, and when they guess wrong I mostly get : south african, israel, eastern european, swedish or norwegian, german or italian or spanish.
I think it mostly reflects how poorly traveled many australians are  ;D

But you're right Bea, accents can become quite personal as you get accustomed to different ones and practice.

oh goodness.  speaking as an american male who has a thing for mysterious female accents...  uh...  as long as you don't picture me loosening my collar and turning up the air conditioner -- go for it!

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2016, 06:12:55 PM »
speaking of stories -- mine's officially in!

even reading it now, i still giggle in places.  this was a super-fun month to write.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2016, 01:24:13 AM »

Go for it, @Nora it would be a good experiment.  Agree always need a written one in any case as it is harder to take it all in when  just read. This is why I have often trouble writing a review of an audible book because of needing to go back and find something and re-listen, so much easier to flip pages.

Don't worry about accents, Henry's right about hearing yourself.  I am still  broad Somerset when I hear myself, mixed up with Oz idiom. It's terrible.   ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline wakarimasen

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
  • Currently suffering multiple story disorder...
« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2016, 03:36:09 PM »
For those familiar with my new foible about having a character's name in the opening line of a short story, you'll be pleased to know Joe Abercrombie doesn't agree with me - he just tweeted this pic of him editing page proofs from his forthcoming short story collection.

https://twitter.com/LordGrimdark/status/688020416707870721

Dammit Joe! Stop undermining me... we've talked about this...

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2016, 03:44:10 PM »
For those familiar with my new foible about having a character's name in the opening line of a short story, you'll be pleased to know Joe Abercrombie doesn't agree with me - he just tweeted this pic of him editing page proofs from his forthcoming short story collection.

I think in that case it's different because he's using a character who is already established in his other writing, rather than introducing a new one.  ;)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2016, 04:39:41 PM »

I think in that case it's different because he's using a character who is already established in his other writing, rather than introducing a new one.  ;)

heh.  i'll apologize about last month's story then.

but, at least this month i did it right!