April 02, 2020, 07:28:47 AM

Author Topic: [Jan 2015] - Science Fiction - Discussion Thread  (Read 6769 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
[Jan 2015] - Science Fiction - Discussion Thread
« on: January 01, 2015, 08:47:05 PM »

Alien Cityscape, Science Fiction Plus by FRANK R. PAUL

2015! We're as far in the future as we've ever been - what a good reason to write a science fictional story. ;)

wikipedia: Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with imaginative content such as futuristic settings, futuristic science and technology, space travel, time travel, faster than light travel, parallel universes and extraterrestrial life. It often explores the potential consequences of scientific and other innovations, and has been called a "literature of ideas".

I'm going to leave this theme as open as possible. Space Opera? Go for it. Dystopia? Why not? Technomanian utopia? Aliens? Whatever floats your boat. Fantasy/SF mixture? Well, there aren't enough good ones out there so you better write one.

This month I want you to write a science fictional story. Sounds simple? Let's find out. :)

Rules:

1. This can be prose or a poem.
2. The story must be science fictional.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-500 words long.
5. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
6. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
7. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
8. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
9. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys next to the 'youtube' symbol:

Entry will close February 1st 2015 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.*

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website in Spring 2015.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!

*My girlfriend is expecting a child in the beginning of February, so if I'm not on schedule, now you know why.  :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: [Jan 2015] - Science Fiction - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 12:09:27 AM »
SF and I don't play well together, so I'll see what I can do. Not making any promises. Also congrats on the impending birth.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 12:22:23 AM »
CONGRATS ON THE BABY!

Ahem. I'll see what I can do. Mix of SF/F will probably be on my plate this time. Maybe Second Industrial Revolution from Space Age technology? I don't know.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 09:47:08 AM »
Hmm... I was planning to write all my short stories in the same (fantasy) world that my partner and I have built, guess that's out the window now!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 02:29:26 PM »
Oooh this will be tricky but look forwards to having a go!
Congratulations on baby, I'm also expecting mine in first week of Feb!  ;D

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »
Thanks, guys! And congrats too, SJ! :)

@Raptori: The contest is to practice your skills and to make your writing more diverse - maybe you can do something along the lines Sanderson did with Mistborn. That world evolves from middle age over industrial revolution to SF.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 04:47:29 PM »
@Raptori: The contest is to practice your skills and to make your writing more diverse - maybe you can do something along the lines Sanderson did with Mistborn. That world evolves from middle age over industrial revolution to SF.
Yeah I'll definitely be taking part, should be a great way to get into the habit of writing and developing different skills  :)

I think it'd be a better idea to try some straight sci-fi so there's a clean slate, since one of the key things we're doing with our world is applying some theories about the development (and fall) of real world cultures. The stories we want to write novels about are about what causes the society to change and develop, so skipping a load of that development would bug me, even for a short story that doesn't necessarily have to be canon  :-\
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ryanmcgowan

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 05:21:46 AM »
Well its been a couple months since I last managed to get something in for the monthly contest, but we've had a few hours weather down-time in the north sea this shift so i've managed to put something together, very different from my usual writing style and a good subject this month to try something new.  That being said mines isn't all that techy.  Hope at worst it doesn't offend and at best, someone enjoys it.
It's the silence that scares me. It’s the blank page on which I can write my own fears.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 05:41:41 AM »
I did manage to get something written, and wonder of wonders I even fitted it into the word count. Just needs a check and a brief edit, no matter how hard you try silly typos always seem to slip under your guard, and then I can probably post it up and get the writing year off to a start.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2015, 05:44:42 PM »
Congratulations to @Giddler! "Junk Mail" was a really fun story.
And thank you to the folks who liked "Honest Trade" (recently renamed "Fair Trade" in my files.)
I'll probably be posting it in the critique thread... maybe.

Congrats to all the writers. I loved the romanticism in RussetDivinity's story, and the looming threat in Elfy's. I enjoyed the one about the ship traveling (sorry, not looking at the thread anymore). And who wouldn't love a kitten and a robot?

Great month.  And now... "Rogues."
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2015, 05:54:07 PM »
Congrats @Giddler, really liked that story! Was definitely among my favourites for this month. It was hard to pick which to vote for because there were so many that were really good :)

Also, thanks to everyone who voted for CU42 (and its furry friend) :D

Rogues should be interesting!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:58:24 PM by Raptori »

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2015, 11:11:39 PM »
Giddler's story was awesome, nice twist at the end and I could see it being successfully filmed as well. It's quite an achievement to fit that much complexity into 1500 words.