August 19, 2019, 02:45:58 AM

Poll

Vote for your favorite story from January's Writing Contest (Betrayal)

Stab and Twist (by ACSmyth)
3 (33.3%)
Origins of Rohanna: Demon Hunter (by Maxfield)
0 (0%)
Desperation (by TOMunro)
1 (11.1%)
Jing Ke - A Tale from the Stone Road (by G_R_Matthews)
3 (33.3%)
The Clemency of Kings (by Carter)
1 (11.1%)
untitled (by Justan Henner)
0 (0%)
The Crystal Hunter (by LisaElle)
1 (11.1%)
untitled (by jakle)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: March 02, 2014, 07:14:00 PM

Author Topic: [Jan 2014] Betrayal - Voting Thread  (Read 7562 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Re: [Jan 2014] Betrayal - Voting Thread
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 04:26:21 PM »
Indeed, it doesn't register unique views, so at least 10-15 of those views are mine. ;)

And the problem with voting is this: You have to read all the stories to give a fair vote, which needs more time than most people are inclined to commit. (I prefer lesser votes from people who actually read the stories than more votes from people who haven't.)
I personally hate to read long texts on screen, so even while being curious and interested, the start often feels like a chore.

This is foremost a competition to hone your skills and to get you to write something - sometimes outside your comfort zone or things you usually don't write. You may not get much recognition if you don't win but you wrote something you may have not otherwise and you certainly learned something from it.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 04:37:40 PM »
This is foremost a competition to hone your skills and to get you to write something - sometimes outside your comfort zone or things you usually don't write. You may not get much recognition if you don't win but you wrote something you may have not otherwise and you certainly learned something from it.

Definitely. This was the first time I've entered, but I loved it because of this. Especially since I struggle with short pieces and the word limits forced me to work on it.

Offline TOMunro

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 07:15:17 PM »
I too was surprised when I first saw these competitions at the ratio of views to votes.

I think repeat views of a page is part of it.  I opened the submission page each time a new entry was posted so that could mean that 600 views equates to less than a 100 viewers.

However, the other part is that you have to be a member to vote and people are probably quite happy t read teh stories but just not motivated enough to subscribe/login as a member and so vote.

I do agree the entries deserve more votes, and it would be nice to see a greater level of engagement, but hell it's just fun writing stories and twisting your imagination to fit somebody else's brief. 

It's also good fun reading other people's stories.  I don't think we should worry too much until the number of submissions outnumbers the number of votes cast (and to be fair we aren't that far off that point)  That would be the height of apathy, when the authors can't be bothered to vote!

Meanwhile I'm off to whistle up some serious grimdarkness for the March competition - anybody got a puppy to spare? 

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 07:57:29 PM »
Meanwhile I'm off to whistle up some serious grimdarkness for the March competition - anybody got a puppy to spare?

No, but if you find one, I have some rocks and a gunnysack.