January 16, 2021, 11:46:55 AM

Author Topic: Week 4: Finished!  (Read 12514 times)

Offline Idlewilder

Re: Week 4: Finished!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 10:12:20 AM »
I finished my reread last night and moved straight on to Deadhouse Gates. This sub-forum is buried away now so I'm not sure anyone will see this post, but for what it's worth the book was a completely different reading experience a second time. I really enjoyed it the 1st, but this time through I just noticed so much more that I couldn't possibly on the first read. Early references to characters who don't crop up until later in either this book or book 2. (Some of whom are actually major characters in book 2) Many of the poems/epigraphs are written by characters who are main POVs in Deadhouse Gates, as well as obviously the likes of Toc the Younger. (Who can't be dead, surely!) The foreshadowing is pretty incredible. There is actually at least 5 references to Rake being a dragon throughout the book, though they are buried in subtext. Likewise, Kruppe being the Eel is kinda revealed offhandedly several times.

The only thing I still struggled with was picturing the likes of the T'lan Imass and the Jaghut. Is Raest meant to be enormous or is he human-sized?

I came away a lot more content this time, with elements like the Crimson Guard, Caladan Brood, the Pannion Seer and Quick Ben's secret leaving me very eager to read on, which I'm doing!

Also: what do we reckon about Rallick Nom and Vorcan? Are they dead or have they become ascendants? Notable that another one of those houses was seen in Unta (I think) and was named the "Deadhouse" - Deadhouse Gates anyone?   ;)
Make Another World.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 05:30:35 PM »
Also: what do we reckon about Rallick Nom and Vorcan? Are they dead or have they become ascendants? Notable that another one of those houses was seen in Unta (I think) and was named the "Deadhouse" - Deadhouse Gates anyone?

I think there become Ascendants also I think the trees are connected somehow to warrens maybe there become gods  , I like to see more of those two  :)

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 06:28:42 PM »
The only thing I still struggled with was picturing the likes of the T'lan Imass and the Jaghut. Is Raest meant to be enormous or is he human-sized?
I think he is human-sized (or a head taller or so). The T'lan Imass are human-sized afaik.

Also: what do we reckon about Rallick Nom and Vorcan? Are they dead or have they become ascendants? Notable that another one of those houses was seen in Unta (I think) and was named the "Deadhouse" - Deadhouse Gates anyone?   ;)
In Malaz City, I think. And I don't think Rallick and Vorcan became ascendants (yet).

minor spoiler for Deadhouse gates, book 1:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The other two who entered an Azan house were the Emperor and Dancer and they didn't immediately became ascendants.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 10:17:32 PM »
I think he is human-sized (or a head taller or so). The T'lan Imass are human-sized afaik.

I pictured the T'lan Imass as just a bit larger, but not sure if I remember that actually being described.

what do we reckon about Rallick Nom and Vorcan? Are they dead or have they become ascendants?

I doubt they are dead. :) But then, this is definitely one of those books where you feel like you have to really question the death of any character.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 12:48:10 PM »

That's pretty much what I thought. Physically Jaghut seem similar to orcs maybe? Tusks, inhuman, green skin.
Make Another World.

Offline Jeni

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 12:25:39 AM »
What a great start to a series.  :D

I didn't have a problem with the way it ended... I'm happy that Sorry/Apsalar is on her way home (although as she and her father were possibly the sole survivors of the Itko Kan massacre it'll be interesting to see what happens when and if she gets there) and really curious about the Seer's agenda.

I wasn't surprised that Kruppe was the Eel, or that Rake could transform into a dragon - the rest of his crew could so I guess I assumed he could too... the fight with the demon at the end suggested that the demon at least could take on any form that he thought would be useful, so maybe Rake can as well.

The telepathic link between Tattersail and Paran is intriguing - it seems that she has access to his thoughts but he can only 'hear' what she wants him to. Could get very interesting if she can sense where he is, or can influence him - we don't know how involved she is with the group protecting her.... do they know that she is communicating with Paran - have they asked her to?

with elements like the Crimson Guard, Caladan Brood, the Pannion Seer and Quick Ben's secret leaving me very eager to read on,

yep, me too  :D

Notable that another one of those houses was seen in Unta (I think) and was named the "Deadhouse" - Deadhouse Gates anyone?   ;)

I noticed that....also, because we are reading the series now it has been completed, the passage Kruppe read which mentioned 'the crippled god' became much more significant than it would have when the book was first published  ;D

Offline Timstar

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »
Finished GotM last night. A cracking read with an action-packed last 100 pages which flew by. Rake becoming a Dragon was awesome as was the duel. I would have preferred at least something to be concluded but I guess we have to wait until Memories of Ice for that.

Looking forward to Deadhouse Gates

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 10:02:03 AM »
Finished GotM last night. A cracking read with an action-packed last 100 pages which flew by. Rake becoming a Dragon was awesome as was the duel. I would have preferred at least something to be concluded but I guess we have to wait until Memories of Ice for that.

Looking forward to Deadhouse Gates

Glad you enjoyed it!  :)

I wouldn't expect much in the way of conclusions for a good 10 books or so. It's barely even begun.  ;)
Make Another World.

Offline Serenity

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2014, 10:29:47 AM »
I finished my reread last night and moved straight on to Deadhouse Gates. This sub-forum is buried away now so I'm not sure anyone will see this post, but for what it's worth the book was a completely different reading experience a second time. I really enjoyed it the 1st, but this time through I just noticed so much more that I couldn't possibly on the first read. Early references to characters who don't crop up until later in either this book or book 2. (Some of whom are actually major characters in book 2) Many of the poems/epigraphs are written by characters who are main POVs in Deadhouse Gates, as well as obviously the likes of Toc the Younger. (Who can't be dead, surely!) The foreshadowing is pretty incredible. There is actually at least 5 references to Rake being a dragon throughout the book, though they are buried in subtext. Likewise, Kruppe being the Eel is kinda revealed offhandedly several times.

This is pretty much my experience with GotM, too.  I've just read it for the third time and I'm still picking up things I didn't notice on the previous occasions.  I also find the poems contain so much information.  Normally I'd skip over that sort of thing, but they're just so intriguing here and, on re-read, revelatory.  As you say, the foreshadowing is off the scale.

I loved the book the first time I read it because it was so different in its approach.  It chucks you straight in the deep end.  There’s no info-dumps to catch the reader up in a ‘Previously, on the Malazan Book of the Fallen’ kind of way.  He really wants you to work for the rewards, which I find so refreshing.  I like the challenge, although I understand why some don't.

It's true that practically all of the characters seem to share knowledge that the reader is not party to.  Everything about it is enigmatic.  But I was (and still am) enthralled by the feeling of landing in a fully formed world that's already in motion, with all its unique races and thousands of years-worth of history.  I find it so atmospheric and completely immersive.  I also like his use of the unreliable narrator.  There are so many lies within lies and plots within plots that it can get bewildering - and, again, I can understand why that might put some off - but it really worked for me.  I enjoy the sense of mystery and chaos.

I don't think it's a perfect book by any means but for a debut, with so much ambition . . . wow.

Plus I think that Anomander Rake and his sword, Dragnipur, are just the coolest things I've encountered in a fantasy novel  8) ;D
"If you are in difficulties with a book, try the element of surprise: attack it at an hour when it isn't expecting it." - H. G. Wells

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2017, 09:53:42 AM »
ohmygawd!!!!!
I just had to finish it last night, and I was glad I could sleep in today hehe, I read for over 2 hours ;D

What an *amazing* book and story, and I'm so glad I didn't give up!
Yes, in the beginning you're thrown in the deep end, not of the pool but a really big ocean, and you either sink or swim or float... I decided to float, soon I was learnign to swim and by the end it was racing ;D

I understand why @xiagan mentioned the importance of 'convergence' in my last post, that party was superb! So many amazing and extraordinary things happening, and you just read on and want to know more and more and more!
I thought the Tyrant story would last much longer, but I suppose his power was so huge, terrifying and destructive, that if he'd been let loose much longer there wouldn't be a city any more!

And funny about the gas pipes detail ;D

I'm still not sure what an 'Azath' is, if Lorn is really dead, and so on, but I'm sure knowledge will be coming in the next books :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2017, 10:19:39 AM »
Glad you enjoyed the novel , I did think it be too military For you, Who was you favourite character at the end?

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2017, 10:26:01 AM »
Oh gosh, so many!
Tattersail, Rake, Paran, Quick Ben, Rallick...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2017, 07:06:29 PM »
Oh gosh, so many!
Tattersail, Rake, Paran, Quick Ben, Rallick...
Quick Ben will become so much better. You'll develop a legit crush. :D (Not dismissing the others, Paran for instance grows massively too.)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)