January 16, 2021, 11:51:39 AM

Author Topic: Week 3: Books Four and Five  (Read 6053 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
Week 3: Books Four and Five
« on: January 18, 2014, 07:15:27 PM »
Well, still liking this one and starting to get a bit more of an inkling about whats going on. I had written up some recaps (for the book 4), but evidently in my haste forgot to save (I usually try to do that in a google doc, but this time typed it up straight into the forum and never finished/posted. Now it's lost, so … ooops?  ::)  I'll just move on to my reactions that I can remember at the moment. Maybe there'll be a little recap as I do that.

I like how this is coming together and we are starting to get a better idea of what is going on. We know now why Quick Ben is so powerful, yet under the radar. So, after leaving the service of Shadow, he now has to hunt down Hairlock to save his own life. Also, Hairlock, will there be no more possessed puppet? :)

Crokus decides to return his loot to D'Arle. He also knew Sorry was the one that killed the guard at the Inn. I have to admit, I really liked the interaction between him and Sorry when they met back up (after The Rope had left her). Will be curious to see what they do with her character now that she is just a normal (lost and confused) girl. Who decides to take on the name of the goddess of thieves. I am guessing I am going to like Sorry more in the future. :)

Tattersail is rebirthed as a child and speaks briefly with Paran that they will meet again. I'm curious about her aging process. I thought from one thing that she would age very slowly (tens or hundreds of thousands of years), but then she already appeared as about 5 years old when she met with Paran. Perhaps it's like Twilight where the daughter ages very quickly, then very very slowly so most her life will be spent in what would be prime age.

I am curious is Toc is actually dead or if he will reappear at some point (escaping whatever Warren he was pulled into).
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
Re: Week 3: Books Four and Five
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »
Only read book 4

But the assassins/wizard  crossfire with pearl the demon added in the mix was awesome "should I pity them"

Rallick the assassin who doesn't want to travel down his path  and trying to steer Crokus from a life of crime to ease his conscience a tiny bit is great to read 
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline eclipse

• Elderling
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:51:50 PM »
I like how this is coming together and we are starting to get a better idea of what is going on. We know now why Quick Ben is so powerful, yet under the radar. So, after leaving the service of Shadow, he now has to hunt down Hairlock to save his own life. Also, Hairlock, will there be no more possessed puppet? :)

Quick Ben has got some balls doing deals with his former master  :) I love Quick Ben and Kalam partnership together

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline eclipse

• Elderling
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 03:37:34 PM »
finished book 5

I didn't expect Sorry to become mortal again

Paran helping the Hounds escape from Rake wonder what the consequence of that will be? I liked the scene inside the sword with the wagon going on and on

Toc will be back probably changed into something not quite human I'm thinking

I'm not fond of Kruppe's dream but at least there don't last too long

Haha Lorn realising that Laseen sees her as expendable

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:51:31 PM by Eclipse »

Offline moonspawn

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 04:12:18 AM »
Hello all, I'm new here. I've posted a few times but haven't really gotten into any in-depth discussions yet. Since I've read the entire Malazan series and loved it I thought this would be a good place to start. First off are any of you aware that bestfantasybooks has been doing Malazan book club discussions for a couple of months now? Right now they're on Memories of Ice so there a little bit ahead. I just thought this was kind of cool because Malazan might just be the best fantasy series of all time. In answer to the Toc question I'm not sure exactly how to answer that without possibly spoiling the story a little bit. If any of you would like a mostly spoiler free answer please let me know.

That brings me to my final question. Are people who've already read a book allowed to take part in discussion about that book or are only those who are currently reading it allowed to participate? Forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place or disrupted the discussion but I don't really know how things work around here...

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 05:24:31 PM »
Hello all, I'm new here. I've posted a few times but haven't really gotten into any in-depth discussions yet. Since I've read the entire Malazan series and loved it I thought this would be a good place to start. First off are any of you aware that bestfantasybooks has been doing Malazan book club discussions for a couple of months now? Right now they're on Memories of Ice so there a little bit ahead. I just thought this was kind of cool because Malazan might just be the best fantasy series of all time.
Cool! That sounds worth checking out when I get to the next book :)

That brings me to my final question. Are people who've already read a book allowed to take part in discussion about that book or are only those who are currently reading it allowed to participate? Forgive me if I've posted this in the wrong place or disrupted the discussion but I don't really know how things work around here...
Absolutely! We welcome comments from anyone that is either reading for the first time or have read in the past, the only rule is to not post spoilers outside of the designated reading areas. :)
[/quote]
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 08:56:08 PM »
Hm, somehow I was a lot faster with book 4 and 5 than with the first three...

It's really flowing now and I had difficulties putting it away to write this.

I like how this is coming together and we are starting to get a better idea of what is going on.
Absolutely.

We know now why Quick Ben is so powerful, yet under the radar. So, after leaving the service of Shadow, he now has to hunt down Hairlock to save his own life. Also, Hairlock, will there be no more possessed puppet? :)
I loved the scene with Quick Ben and Shadowthrone. Quick Ben really has some cheek...
And I wouldn't mind not seeing anything of Hairlock anymore. Never liked the bastard. I don't believe that he's gone for good though. We'll see...

I have to admit, I really liked the interaction between him and Sorry when they met back up (after The Rope had left her). Will be curious to see what they do with her character now that she is just a normal (lost and confused) girl. Who decides to take on the name of the goddess of thieves. I am guessing I am going to like Sorry more in the future. :)
Exactly that. And I think she may have made herself to a god's pawn again...

Tattersail is rebirthed as a child and speaks briefly with Paran that they will meet again. I'm curious about her aging process. I thought from one thing that she would age very slowly (tens or hundreds of thousands of years), but then she already appeared as about 5 years old when she met with Paran. Perhaps it's like Twilight where the daughter ages very quickly, then very very slowly so most her life will be spent in what would be prime age.
Somebody in the bok said that Soulshifters age faster and I think she will do so until she grown up (around Paran's age, how convenient). I hope she still has the badass warrens. And I'm curious how the rebirth has changed her.

I am curious is Toc is actually dead or if he will reappear at some point (escaping whatever Warren he was pulled into).
I'm quite sure he still lives and that warren of chaos may have changed him. Since about everybody becomes more mighty, he may too. ;)

But the assassins/wizard  crossfire with pearl the demon added in the mix was awesome "should I pity them"
This was great. Quick Ben really is a high mage.

Paran helping the Hounds escape from Rake wonder what the consequence of that will be? I liked the scene inside the sword with the wagon going on and on
That was awesome. I wonder if he angered one of the twins too much... And if Shadowthrone (or the hounds) feel indebted to him now. Paran turns out cooler than I thought. I liked his interaction with Coll too.

Haha Lorn realising that Laseen sees her as expendable
It's cool to see that Lorn has some doubts about the stuff she does and that her "human side" shows more in book 5. The influence of the Imass maybe?
It's crazy how both of them believe it is a really bad idea but they're still going to wake that Jaghut tyrant. Very human...  ::)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline moonspawn

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 08:52:12 PM »
I hope this isn't spoiling anything but since a number of people have mentioned Toc I'll just say
Spoiler for Hiden:
that he does return later

*Edited by Xiagan to add spoiler tags.*
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 09:23:13 PM by xiagan »

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 09:05:24 PM »
Well, it is a spoiler, so...

Make Another World.

Offline Jeni

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 11:07:40 AM »
So. Loving how Erikson has rearranged the groups... who would have guessed that Paran and Coll would end up road trip buddies or that Tattersail would end up in the 'care' of Brood's army   ;D

Quite glad the puppet version of Hairlock has gone. Was well creepy. Wonder if he managed to escape back to his Warren of Chaos and if he did, will he and Toc now become frenemies?  :P

Sorry seems to have escaped from her possession ordeal relatively unscathed, but then she has been protected by the Seer. It surprises me that the Rope didn't detect the Seer's presence. Wonder if Ben will, if she ever finds her way back to the bridgeburners.

Offline eclipse

• Elderling
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »
hey I love the creepy puppet ...something wrong with me haha

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 10:11:27 PM »
Oh I think my favourite was book 5, at the hills. It seems everything and everyone is gathering together, different paths converging into a single dangerous zone.

Poor Sorry, I wonder if she'll remember anything.
Yay for Paran!
Yay for Quick Ben!
And I seem to be all for Rake ;D

I liked the scene inside the sword with the wagon going on and on
Yep, amazing!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 10:14:21 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 07:30:05 PM »
different paths converging into a single dangerous zone.
Remember this sentence. You will need it again. But try to think up some superlatives because they will get better and better.  :D

Convergence. One of the most important words for Malazan and one of the most perfectly executed concepts in all of fantasy. :)

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)