January 16, 2021, 12:18:46 PM

Author Topic: Questions as you read? Ask them here.  (Read 6292 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
Questions as you read? Ask them here.
« on: December 30, 2013, 06:25:35 PM »
So, since I have heard that this book can get confusing, I have been trying to come up with ideas to help our readers along. First, I am going to start this thread that can be used through out the month to easily ask other members any questions about what's going on.

Since there is not a set area of the book for this thread, I ask that people give a general description of where they are in the book, if the question has spoilers for any area of the book, put it in spoiler tags. Also, for anyone able to answer, same thing. If the answer has spoilers, put it inside of spoiler tags. That way no one has to worry about coming into this thread and seeing questions/answers that are beyond where they are in the book. I figured with this, people don't have to wait for the discussions to ask questions.

Maybe we won't need this, but I figure it can't hurt to set it up just in case. :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
Re: Questions as you read? Ask them here.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 05:20:40 PM »
ok The moon Spawn I'm reading it as a floating fortress which no one can get to yet but I'm not sure Ive read it correctly?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 05:32:17 PM »
ok The moon Spawn I'm reading it as a floating fortress which no one can get to yet

Yep, you have it right. :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline eclipse

• Elderling
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 06:48:45 PM »
Next Question Warrens and Mages

How many Warrens are there?

Does a warren seek out a mage or does a mage seek out a warren to use?

Can a mage use more then one warren to power his spells or is he stuck with one only?

can he use spells without a warren?

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 07:06:27 PM »
The Warrens thing is very much a core part/mystery of the series, so basically to all those questions...read and find out. :)

Make Another World.

TomTheBeliever

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 12:26:52 PM »
What I loved so much about this series, are all those moments of realisation where you don't quite understand something, then all of a sudden, it becomes crystal clear.  So be careful asking too many questions, as things will become apparent the more you read on!  :)

Offline Dessembrae

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 10:06:13 PM »
 I'm new to the forum, but have read most of the Malazan series. I'm 75% through Dust of Dreams ( book #9 ) And have also read two of Esslemont's books, I highly reccomend including them in your read of Malazan.

It's been some time since I read GoTM, but will be very happy to help when I can. If you like
GoTM, you'll love the rest of the story, it only gets better. Erikson's writing, and characterization improves massively. The third book ( Memories of Ice ) is one of the best I've ever read. Enjoy.

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2014, 10:42:31 PM »
What I loved so much about this series, are all those moments of realisation where you don't quite understand something, then all of a sudden, it becomes crystal clear.  So be careful asking too many questions, as things will become apparent the more you read on!  :)

That sounds very much like my type of thing.  ;D I love puzzling together parts of a story to figure out how they relate, watching/reading things fall into place.

I'm new to the forum, but have read most of the Malazan series. I'm 75% through Dust of Dreams ( book #9 ) And have also read two of Esslemont's books, I highly reccomend including them in your read of Malazan.

It's been some time since I read GoTM, but will be very happy to help when I can. If you like
GoTM, you'll love the rest of the story, it only gets better. Erikson's writing, and characterization improves massively. The third book ( Memories of Ice ) is one of the best I've ever read. Enjoy.

First, Welcome!  ;D Glad to have you join us. I'm only halfway through GotM, but already plan on reading on. I've heard other people say it gets even better further into the series. Definitely looking forward to it (when I can find the time to read them) :)
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline eclipse

• Elderling
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 05:18:16 PM »
Where would be the best place to read the Esslemont's books after Erikson series or somewhere earlier?

Offline Dessembrae

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 05:35:31 PM »
Where would be the best place to read the Esslemont's books after Erikson series or somewhere earlier?

The best way, is to read them in published order. The order on the Malazan site is the order they we're published in. That's what I did, and it work out awesome.

http://forum.malazanempire.com/

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 05:43:58 PM »

The best way, is to read them in published order. The order on the Malazan site is the order they we're published in. That's what I did, and it work out awesome.

http://forum.malazanempire.com/

Probably this, although the second time I read the series, I read through chronologically starting with Esslemont's Night of Knives, but it probably is not as meaningful without first having knowledge from the first book.

Offline eclipse

• Elderling
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 05:49:29 PM »
Are Ascendants Gods ,will we learn more about them?

Offline Dessembrae

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 06:09:26 PM »

Yes, and no. You'll get more info on that as you read on.

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 06:17:32 PM »

I have an answer, I don't think it spoils anything, but I've put it in a tag regardless.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Ascendants have the power of a god, but not necessarily equal to or less than, they might be more powerful. I think the rule is this: The head of the House is a god, the underlings of that house, and those powerful people unattached to any House are Ascendants.

Example:
Hood is a god, because he is the head of High House Death.
Anomander Rake is an Ascendant, because he is independent of any House.

Another example, (the spoiler is from book one of GotM):
Spoiler for Hiden:
The underling who Oponn bargains with for Paran's soul (in Hood's realm, after Sorry stabs him) would probably be considered an Ascendant.

I believe the Unnaligned, such as Oponn, Orb, and Obelisk, are also mentioned as Gods, even though they don't have a House, but I don't what distinguishes them from the others. I have one thought, but it may not have been alluded to yet, and I don't think it is for several books, so I won't mention it.

You learn a lot about Ascendants in later books.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:23:15 PM by Justan Henner »