January 16, 2021, 11:41:32 AM

Author Topic: Gardens of the Moon - Week 1: Prologue and Book One  (Read 10992 times)

Offline Jeni

Re: Gardens of the Moon - Week 1: Prologue and Book One
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »
Loving this so far.  :D

Don't skip any poems in Malazan.  ;)
Ahh. Why am I not surprised to hear this ;)

I did spot this rather interesting poem that opens the novel (and with it the series) that may be a bit more telling than it seems at first glance:

Hehe... the poems in epic fantasy novels are usually as clear as mud until you've read on and then go back!
What I did find interesting about that poem though is that it was written by 'Felisin'... isn't that Paran's youngest sister?

Quite a range of characters so far, who are all pretty much what you would expect from a series like this - which is one of the reasons I am enjoying it, I think. Also ....

In many ways it feels a little like being thrown into the middle of a much greater narrative from the beginning

I agree, and I'm enjoying just going with it at this stage because it is pointless speculating on where this is all ultimately heading this early on.

And.....

YAY!!! MAGIC!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Timstar

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »
I found Paran one of the best characters as well, maybe because I could understand his story more than the others.

Sorry is also great :)

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 04:00:22 PM »
I found Paran one of the best characters as well, maybe because I could understand his story more than the others.

Sorry is also great :)

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! It only gets better and better (and better and better)!  :D
Make Another World.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2015, 12:35:52 AM »
Finished Book 2 just now.
Book 1 was fascinating, even if the writing was occasionally a problem and often more obscure than it needed to be. Of course, the unraveling, or revealing, of the obscure is the fun; but I just mean passages where you really can't tell what the f@*k just happened.

Meanwhile, I'm really enjoying Paran and Tattersail. I find them both very easy to identify with. It's also fun to hate the two hunters. Sorry is boring after the initial part of the story. So far the bridgebuilders feel more like the promise of good characters than actually interesting ones.

Finally, the gnomic poems at the beginning of each chapter feel pretty pointless. Though I did just go back and read earlier comments from the January 2014 book club. I'm not supposed to ignore the poems. Yeah, but, I don't like them!  :o

But, overall, really enjoying.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:43:20 AM by Jmacyk »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2016, 04:42:24 PM »
And re-reading from the start. Bumping this thread so I can find it more easily.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 12:10:16 PM »
And re-reading from the start. Bumping this thread so I can find it more easily.
It's great to have you trying this again! I'm not sure if you'll like GotM, but Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice are a blast. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 12:50:32 PM »
It's great to have you trying this again! I'm not sure if you'll like GotM, but Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice are a blast. :)

Finished "book 1" and now heading to Darujistan. I do like the book quite a bit.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 12:52:17 PM »

Finished "book 1" and now heading to Darujistan. I do like the book quite a bit.
Then you'll love DG and MoI! :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 09:28:34 AM »
I finished book 1, and I'm really glad I didn't give up! :D

I'm quite enjoying it, especially Tattersail - I really like her.
I thought Paran would be another "young noble comes to lead and soldiers don't like him until he does something brave" but it ended up not being quite like that, I'm glad (that's a cliché I'm starting to get annoyed with!)

Don't skip any poems in Malazan.  ;)
It won't make any difference to me because I don't get any of those hints, at least not yet ::)

In many ways it feels a little like being thrown into the middle of a much greater narrative from the beginning
This, definitely! It's not that bad, though, if after a few pages you're able to swim into the story, instead of sinking, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!