January 16, 2021, 12:22:14 PM

Author Topic: Gardens of the Moon - First Impressions  (Read 11284 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: Gardens of the Moon - First Impressions
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2014, 02:58:33 PM »
I'm in chapter 2 now, not finding it difficult but maybe it's still too early to say?
Maybe it is, not sure. I think part of it may just not expecting for everything to be clear. Right now I am intrigued but not confused.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it anyhow - Gardens of the Moon's been on my TBR list for some time.

And BTW, greetings from a new member of this fantastic site here :)

Glad to hear your enjoying it as well. And definitely Welcome! Glad to see you joining in the book club. :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 03:10:13 PM »
Has anyone else got the Preface to Gardens of the Moon Redux in front of the novel it's quite interesting

Hmmm... my kindle version doesn't have it. What's in it?
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 05:59:02 PM »

And BTW, greetings from a new member of this fantastic site here :)

Welcome have fun  :)

Has anyone else got the Preface to Gardens of the Moon Redux in front of the novel it's quite interesting

Hmmm... my kindle version doesn't have it. What's in it?

About 10 pages explaining the beginnings of Gardens of the Moon

Basically how Steven got his book published, he wrote a screenplay with Ian C.Esslemont in Canada and had positive feedback but the suits said no as there not got the budget to do this in Canada if you want it done try something simpler less ambitious well Steven said no to this as he wouldn't back down decided to try a novel instead and took 8 years and a move to the UK for Gardens of the Moon to find Publisher and took another 4 years before a US deal the complaint too complicated,too many characters too ambitious...

Tells of authors he looked up too and left a message for the writers out there

"One last word to all you nascent writers out there.Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the Throat. Write with Balls,write with eggs. Sure, It's a harder Journey but take it from me, it's worth it.
Cheers,
Steven Erikson"

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Clubfoot

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 02:01:40 PM »

Yeah, found the preface quite interesting as well. Kinda lets you know what you are in for. Hope he can live up to those words.

So far it seems to me he can. I don't think it is really as confusing as people say, but I am just 4 chapters in so I guess I can't say anything definite yet.

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »
The point that broke it for me was the transition to book 2, when it introduces the second cast of characters which at that point seem to have nothing to do with the first set. Even though book 2 is still gardens of the moon, it really did feel like taking a full stop and picking up a whole other book for a while. It comes together fairly quick, but that first time it was just too much of a wall to start a new book inside the new book I just started.

It took me two tries to muster the interest to struggle on, but was well worth it. Ironically enough, the PoV at the start of book 2 I had so much trouble with is one of the more entertaining characters in the series.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:47:22 PM by Justan Henner »

Offline DBASKLS

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
Started last night. I was a bit worried there was a cast list at the front of the book - it seemed quiet extensive! However, first impressions are good (I'm not that far in yet). Like the sound of the characters I've met so far and there are monsters and magic. Yes this is definitely fantasy!!
  • Currently reading : Dominion - C J Sansom
  • On hold : The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 11:17:24 AM »
Theres a lot of sweaty characters in this novel,   you could have a drinking game round it  ;)

I don't like the word Dammit it sounds too modern, Damn it reads better for me  minor nit-pick
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Evazorek

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 07:32:13 AM »
I finished this book last night and thought it was a tough read, but it pays off in the end. I really enjoyed the journey even though I might not have understood everything during the ride. I am looking forward to discussing certain aspects of the book with you as everyone gets caught up.

*disclaimer* - I was already half way through the book before I realised it was this month's book club entry. It was just a happy coincidence. I didn't blast through it in a week or anything :p
Writing Blog: www.rhodestonowhere.com
Online Portfolio: www.sterhodes.com

Offline Timstar

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 09:29:53 PM »
I'm a bit late to the party, but now about half way through the book. First impressions are good, the writing is captivating even when I don't fully understand what's going on :)

The characters are described very well but the world is pretty hard to get a picture of, I'm guessing this will be gradually built up over the series.