January 22, 2021, 12:00:10 AM

Author Topic: Gardens of the Moon - First Impressions  (Read 11316 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
Gardens of the Moon - First Impressions
« on: December 26, 2013, 08:11:32 PM »
This is a thread for first impressions, a place to share your very initial thoughts when you sit down to read. This should be spoiler free. If there is something spoilerish you just really want to comment about right at the beginning, just be sure to use spoiler tags. :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline michaelramm

Re: Gardens of the Moon - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 05:08:25 AM »
I am two chapters in and a bit confused. I like what i have read so far, but there are a lot of characters thrown at you in the beginning and I am a tad confused.

I know that there is a BIG war going on and that there MAY have been a huge sell out from the top Mage in the land. That is about all that I know.

But I am enjoying it so far.
Currently Reading: Malice, John Gwynne; Leviathan Wakes (Expanse 1), James SA Corey; Rage of Dragons, Evan Winter
Favorite Authors: Tolkien, Sanderson, Kemp, Salvatore, Sullivan, Hearne
goodreads: michaelramm

Offline Algon 33

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 10:45:57 AM »
That's good! Keep going, as the first book is rather necessary (to be the way it is) when I look back. And if it feels too long, or tedious, or just too many characters, remember that this is all building you up to a great finale (in the book) and an even greater series.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Elderling
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »
I think I buy this on my kindle so I can keep track of the characters
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 03:59:01 PM »
I just finished Chapter 2. Really enjoying it so far, feels like it will be my type of book  ;D

Undeniably epic scale, battles, betrayal and all the rest of that good stuff looks like it will feature. Oh, and a good dose of magic. Definitely has my interest peaked. :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 04:55:51 PM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 08:06:32 PM »
I just finished Chapter 2. Really enjoying it so far, feels like it will be my type of book  ;D

Undeniably epic scale, battles, betrayal and all the rest of that good stuff looks like it will feature. Oh, and a good dose of magic. Definitely has my interest peaked. :)

We finally have a winner for Arry!! This gives me high hopes.  I need to bust through the second half of The Well of Ascension today, but after that, I'll get into this one.
Reviews and more at: www.forgedempires.wordpress.com

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 08:49:48 PM »

We finally have a winner for Arry!! This gives me high hopes.  I need to bust through the second half of The Well of Ascension today, but after that, I'll get into this one.

Yes, I am hoping it continues this way, because I'm always bummed to have a book club read not work for me, and to have two in a row … urghh  :-\

Was worried because of all the hype about what a hard book this is. And honestly, I may not be far enough in to get to the 'hard' part. So there is still time for it to go south. But starting out strong is definitely a huge plus. :)
-- George R.R. Martin

Offline eclipse

• Elderling
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 04:44:11 PM »
Just started reading this

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline eclipse

• Elderling
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 12:21:13 PM »
Up to chapter two not too hard to keep track of the characters so  far

I think I will like this as the author seems to be a fan of Glen Cook's Dread Empire and Black company novels and wanting more he had to write them himself

Has anyone else got the Preface to Gardens of the Moon Redux in front of the novel it's quite interesting
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:29:46 PM by Eclipse »

Offline Geekory

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 01:38:16 PM »
I'm up to chapter 3 and I think I know what's going on. Empire at war, dead emperor and dark magic at work. I think keeping track of characters is going to be a challenge.

The pages are streaming with epicness. Other than ASoIaF I don't think I read anything like this before. Liking it so far.

ACSmyth

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 11:41:30 PM »
I've got to chapter 3. At the moment there seems to be a lot happening, but I'd be hard pushed to tell you exactly what.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 12:06:42 PM »
First impression is 4 pages of dramatis personae and I'm thinking "Oh god, do I really have to know who everybody is and what they do?".
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 12:11:12 PM »
First impression is 4 pages of dramatis personae and I'm thinking "Oh god, do I really have to know who everybody is and what they do?".

I skipped that (after skimming a couple) and figured I could reference it when/if I start having issues keeping characters straight. Honestly, beside being dry/boring, I was also a bit worried about minor spoilers.
-- George R.R. Martin

sya

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 01:22:58 PM »
I'm in chapter 2 now, not finding it difficult but maybe it's still too early to say? I'm sure I'll enjoy it anyhow - Gardens of the Moon's been on my TBR list for some time.

And BTW, greetings from a new member of this fantastic site here :)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »
I'm in chapter 2 now, not finding it difficult but maybe it's still too early to say? I'm sure I'll enjoy it anyhow - Gardens of the Moon's been on my TBR list for some time.

And BTW, greetings from a new member of this fantastic site here :)
Yay, welcome! It's always great to have new people join the book club. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)