April 07, 2020, 03:02:39 PM

Author Topic: January 2012 Writing Challenge Discussion Thread  (Read 5008 times)

Offline wishywash27

January 2012 Writing Challenge Discussion Thread
« on: February 05, 2012, 04:51:45 PM »
I wanted to tell Whitehare that I loved the short story, The Ice Maiden, in January's writing challenge but can't send him/her a direct message. Great idea though, and I liked the writing style quite a lot. Cheers!
Rebecca L. Fisk (wishywash27)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:31:34 PM by Autumn2May »

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
Re: January 2012 Writing Challenge Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 06:30:37 PM »
Thanks for reminding me to start this thread. :)

In this thread, you can comment on the stories being voted on this month and ask the authors questions about their work.  You can give your opinions on which stories you liked and why you liked them, or give constructive advice for those you didn't like as much.

Thread Rules

1. This thread is for polite discussion only; a place for the authors to interact with their readers and hopefully a useful tool for all involved.  This is not a place to try and get people to vote for you, or to badmouth others' work so more people pick your story over theirs.  If we get complaints that either of these things is happening, the guilty parties will be banned from the writing contest.  If it continues happening with multiple people, we will discontinue the discussion thread.

2. Remember that real people wrote this stuff, and real people have real feelings. Things you may not say here: "That’s awful." "That's stupid." "You couldn't write your way out of a paper bag."

3. Please be respectful, courteous, and most of all have fun.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, questions, or problems.  Have fun everyone and good luck to our contestants!

Here is a link to the stories we are discussing this month: http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/writers-corner/january-2012-writing-challenge/

Whitehare

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 05:52:43 PM »
I wanted to tell Whitehare that I loved the short story, The Ice Maiden, in January's writing challenge but can't send him/her a direct message. Great idea though, and I liked the writing style quite a lot. Cheers!
Rebecca L. Fisk (wishywash27)

Thanks, Rebecca. :)

I'm very new to writing and trying to make myself put stuff "out there" to thicken my skin for the inevitable criticisms, but good comments are more fun to get!  I really struggled with the subject though - the muse just didn't want to consider mythical creatures at all. It gave me:

"Dragons? You could do dragons."

"Nah, did dragons last month."

"Not going to play if you don't do dragons."

Offline LeifGSNotae

• Coreling
  • Flash Fiction Writer and Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Leif G.S. Notae - Writing More With Less
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 01:21:44 AM »
Great stories all around, I am impressed by the talent here. Glad I had a humorous piece that wasn't driving for anything other than giving a giggle. Best of luck to those in this tight race!

Offline Dan D Jones

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »
2. Remember that real people wrote this stuff, and real people have real feelings. Things you may not say here: "That’s awful." "That's stupid." "You couldn't write your way out of a paper bag."

So no Bourking?  Well poop!  What fun is that?  <Dan grins, ducks and runs rapidly away.>

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:57:57 PM »

So no Bourking?  Well poop!  What fun is that?  <Dan grins, ducks and runs rapidly away.>

Wise guy. ;)

Offline AshKB

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 09:32:44 AM »
I'm another who really, really liked "The Ice Maiden" - it was its own complete story, full of background and depth, without ever hitting the exposition dump. I wasn't entirely sure how it'd end, and what can I say, I like that the ice maiden 'won' *g*.
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be lighted - Plutarch

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

Offline wishywash27

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 01:07:29 AM »
To WhiteHare-

Those fickle, tempestous Muses!! Ha :) I emailed you directly, hope you got it-

Rebecca L. Fisk, wishywash27

Whitehare

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 08:00:11 AM »
You should be able to DM me now, Rebecca. :)

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:02:30 PM »
I just wanted to say that I really liked RG_Sanders story.  It reminded me of an old folk story.  Great job! :)

Offline RG_Sanders

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 12:45:51 AM »
I just wanted to say that I really liked RG_Sanders story.  It reminded me of an old folk story.  Great job! :)

Thank you, Autumn.

I really enjoyed writing it. I was concerned it might be a little distant from standard prose, but nevertheless, it was great fun to put together.

Also, congrats to wishywash. Good job!

RG

Offline wishywash27

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 12:57:17 AM »
Oh, I just saw this last post now - Thank you so much to RG_Sanders for the congratulations! I truly enjoyed each story, everyone brought something different to the table and it was wonderful to read them all. Normally I have to pay for this kind of entertainment ;)