July 16, 2019, 09:36:37 AM

Author Topic: January Writing Challenge Review  (Read 2502 times)

AJZaethe

January Writing Challenge Review
« on: February 01, 2011, 05:07:34 PM »
I haven't seen anything pop up yet for this, and if I am stepping out of my bounds for this, I apologize. 

But I would like to begin reviewing the stories.  I will begin.

I would have to say that my favorite story in this collection was Hawthorn's.  A bit shaky at times through the read, but brilliant.  Teresa's reaction was awesome.  Curious rather than terrified, or was she so hung up on being right that she couldn't be scared?  Who knows.

The narration comes off omniscient, but the realization of second person was nearly flawless.  There were moments that appeared the narrator, after realizing it was second person, knew too much.  But then again, is second person allowed to know as much as omniscient?  Was never sure on that.  Perhaps.

As for the narration, again nearly flawless when I saw what Hawthorn was doing.  The gargoyle knew much, however, he didn't understand as much.  He talked as if a beast had the ability to voice his instincts.   He didn't seem to understand that his brethren would never wake, but yet understood the harshness and stupidity of the human race.  I liked the mix.  And I thought the speculation of the gargoyle's rise after the human's disappearance was amazing.  I also liked how the creature implied his immortality and never out right said it.  Speaking of times before man on his lands.  Loved it.

I give this story a solid 4 stars!

Offline Dan D Jones

Re: January Writing Challenge Review
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »
Is there going to be a poll put up to vote on the entries or is this going to be solely a writing exercise?  Will February's challenge be up soon?

AJZaethe

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 05:16:26 PM »
I have no idea to be honest.  And I don't know how to add a poll to this.  Perhaps the Overlord could show us?

Offline Overlord

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 05:21:35 AM »
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Hawthorn

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 12:09:35 PM »
Wow - what a great review! Thanks, AJZaethe, I appreciate it. I know there were issues with the narration, but to be honest the piece was knocked together really quickly in the middle of other editing and writing projects, so I'm delighted you liked it. :)

Hx

AJZaethe

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 07:40:12 AM »
You are welcome.  And don't make excuses.  Own up to your writing, other wise you are just an aspiring writer, and those are for sissies.  So, be a writer, own up to your faults and don't make excuses.  I know the editing flaws of my own writing, especially the train wreck beginning on my own story.  But that is mine and I will only improve as time goes on. 

Offline shigzeo

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 01:55:32 AM »
I'm quite sure that mine sucked. I was so excited to try and so miserable in my failure, but I'm on board for another try next month!
My Twitter
To infidelity and beyond!