September 23, 2020, 08:16:49 AM

Author Topic: The Bear and the Nightingale:Wolves-A Horse called Fire/THIRD 20%  (Read 533 times)

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
Post your thoughts on this chapters here. (Chapter Thirteen to Seventeen)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 11:43:26 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
Re: The Bear and the Nightingale:Wolves-A Horse called Fire/THIRD 20%
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 02:58:24 PM »
I really like how the Fae are portrayed in the novel, not evil not good just a danger to the unprepared.

Very good writing to make me hate Konstantin so much. His ego that he thinks his communicating with his Lord.

Loved how Vasya learnt to be an expert horse rider.

Alyosha has turned out to be a very kind man.

Humour from Vasya to stepmother look stepmother is that a cat  :)

Vasya saves her nephew and gets rid of Kyril at the same time. Yay!

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 08:19:04 PM »
Just finished Chapter 17. I've continued to enjoy it and the pacing still impresses with moving ever forwards in bursts that seem to let you know everything you need without dragging on. The only complaint I have is that there's some unskilled head-hopping in this part. Earlier, I was quite surprised at how often the POV changed, but I found it was very well done in the first 40%. I'm usually allergic to it, so the fact that I barely noticed means Arden has pulled it off skillfully. But in the last few chapters, there were some abrupt switches that had me confused and temporarily detached me from the story.

Otherwise, I enjoy the book. The setting is great and the characters keep developing in ways that make sense but keep me on my toes. I honestly didn't know if the marriage was going to happen or not; I felt it could have gone either way. One thought I had was that they might get married and Vasya would end up 'taming' her husband, as opposed to the other way around.

I assume and hope the whole fairy tale plotline will pick up pace now, though, with the promise made to Winter about to come true, and the warnings from the various chyerti. And of course, Konstantin's meddling in the old ways putting everyone in danger. I don't hate him, though, for all his religious zeal. But I think it will turn against him, as I doubt it was God's voice he heard talk to him, but rather this as yet unknown adversery, the Bear or whatever it is.

I doubt I'll take many more days finishing this! :o

Offline eclipse

• Dragonrider
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 10:30:58 PM »
Yep that definitely the Bear his communicating too, definitely not his lord. (Konstantin)

Unlike the other fae, the Bear does feel Evil.

Offline isos81

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 07:36:56 AM »
Oh Konstantin. How I hate him. Wondered if he will be able to repent and cleanse but now that I finished the book, I know the answer.

Is that a cat put a smile on my face :)

Vasya communicating with the spirits and helping them. That looks like a build-up :)

Let's move on..
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 07:43:16 PM »
I'm glad she didn't marry that oaf!

And I'm not surprised the vain, self-righteous, angry priest doesn't realize that it's the devil he's talking to and not God. So now we know that Frost is the Winter-King and that his antagonist is the Bear. Who will the Nightingale be?

It's a lot of foreboding and now it feels like a train racing checkless towards the end of the tracks. Nothing you can do and a lot of things will be broken when it reaches its destination.

Why, oh why did she save Konstantin's life? The Rusalka told her that many others will die and she still did it... She's the good one, I know. But still...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)