July 04, 2020, 07:52:35 PM

Author Topic: The Bear and the Nightingale:The Madwoman in the Church-The Priest/SECOND 20%  (Read 501 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Post your thoughts on this chapters here. (Chapter nine to twelve)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 11:36:46 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Dunya scary dream vision.

This line made me laugh Pyotr is worse. A horse will listen to reason haha

I really liked the scene where Vasya is being taught by Vasila on horses.

Oh my God my dislike of Father Konstantin is high, he such a religious fanatic.

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
I’m not far enough to read this section of posts, but I am amused on page 2 of chapter 9.

Some time back in one thread or another, we talked here about the simile “like a cat.” Such an easy and over-used three words. I think we damned it with faint praise, along with “cat-like” and related.

So here we have Vasya sliding down her favorite tree “like a cat.” OK, I’ve watched cats climb out of trees. They do not slide, they sort of crawl and then finally jump down. Of course, we all know what the author means by the phrase, and we shouldn’t be too literal, right? I mean, she could have written “like an eel” and we all can picture the success rate of eels sliding down trees. Still, “like a cat” is just so... easy. I’m not sure Ms. Arden worked very hard for that one.

But, meh, I’m being an ass.  ;)
Have to get back to reading. I only have a few more minutes before Mrs. JMack comes down and we head to church.

Edit: And here is lovely writing: “The fire crumbled in a glowing core and the air in the kitchen chilled and sank.” Such simple words, but perfect.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 12:26:51 PM by JMack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Half a King
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
Heh, yes! Cats are a lot better at climbing up trees than down them. There's a reason there' a "cat stuck in a tree" trope. But yeah, I think with how good the language overall is in this book, a few tired similes are forgiven. She might have looked for alternatives and found none that worked, particularly in the somewhat limited context of the setting. A tired metaphor is still much better than a convoluted one.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Continued lovely writing and the story deepens. Really enjoying it. Yes, I hate Konstantin; I’d like to see what the second son, the monk, makes of him. I hope that’s a thing, later.

It is quite a long set up, though, to get to the core conflict. I do t know if we’ve gotten there yet at all.

On to the next section!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline isos81

• Auror
    • View Profile
Finished 2nd part. A usual religious fanatic who places himself higher than the rest and justifies so. One of the reasons I was pushed away from religion. That priest is disturbing with all his self assurance.

I think the chapter and chapter section transitions are too disconnected. Chapters end suddenly and the next one is usually months ahead.

It was not nice seeing the spirits suffer (this might not be in the part tho, I'm a little bit ahead of the section).

Anna and the priest are such a couple.
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Do we already know who (or what) the bear is? And the nightingale? Intriguing so far.

Konstantin is a demagogue and his God thinks a bit too much like himself, doesn't he? I hate self-righteous people.

And as it's getting darker, I don't want to see Vasya suffer. She is so innocent, strong and always tries to make the best out of a situation. I fear the second half of the book won't be kind to her...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Do we already know who (or what) the bear is? And the nightingale? Intriguing so far.

Konstantin is a demagogue and his God thinks a bit too much like himself, doesn't he? I hate self-righteous people.

And as it's getting darker, I don't want to see Vasya suffer. She is so innocent, strong and always tries to make the best out of a situation. I fear the second half of the book won't be kind to her...

Lois McMaster Bujold: Create characters you love. Imagine the worst thing that could happen to them. Write that.
www.starlit-lands.com