May 29, 2017, 10:28:21 AM

Author Topic: War of the Usurper, Part 4, Ch. 10-11: Royalty  (Read 235 times)

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
War of the Usurper, Part 4, Ch. 10-11: Royalty
« on: February 02, 2017, 11:57:55 PM »
Here is the part 4 discussion thread for War of the Usurper.

Have at it!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Usurper, Part 4, Ch. 10-11: Royalty
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 06:03:34 PM »
Finished this morning. Enjoyed the book overall. Wasn't quite expecting every chapter to be a different character. Even so, Eli's done a good job of tying a common thread that makes it work. Having so many characters was something of a risk, but overall I think it was pulled off nicely. However, I was a bit sad that we didn't get to see more from some of the characters. Would have been nice to see more from Beren's perespective since I grew pretty attached to him in that first chapter.

Comparing this to the Call, this is certainly the stronger. It's clear that you've grown as an author, Eli. Loved several of the characters in this book, my favorites being Chana, the scout, Beren, Geon, and the partisan. Was surprised not to see a chapter from Chana's perspective, but I think that shows how well written she was, that I liked her even in brief glimpses.

I think the only major drawback of the serialization was that some of the events seemed unimportant to the larger plot of the book, despite being great chapters. I think the Scout being the perfect example. It's this great, compelling scene where he finds the Ancient's ship, filled with wonder because of this relic floating in the midst of nothing, then you add in the parasitic corpses and him fleeing for his life, the whole chapter was great, but his success didn't seem to carry much forward to the plot as a whole.

Otherwise the book was excellent. Glad I participated this month.

Offline Eli_Freysson

Re: War of the Usurper, Part 4, Ch. 10-11: Royalty
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:28:33 PM »
Whoa, @Justan Henner, I totally missed your post. Sorry about that.

Comparing this to the Call, this is certainly the stronger. It's clear that you've grown as an author, Eli. Loved several of the characters in this book, my favorites being Chana, the scout, Beren, Geon, and the partisan. Was surprised not to see a chapter from Chana's perspective, but I think that shows how well written she was, that I liked her even in brief glimpses.

Yeah, it's funny that. Sometimes minor characters, simply there to fill a support role for bigger ones, take on a life of their own. I often don't feel like a creator so much as a conduit.

I think the only major drawback of the serialization was that some of the events seemed unimportant to the larger plot of the book, despite being great chapters. I think the Scout being the perfect example. It's this great, compelling scene where he finds the Ancient's ship, filled with wonder because of this relic floating in the midst of nothing, then you add in the parasitic corpses and him fleeing for his life, the whole chapter was great, but his success didn't seem to carry much forward to the plot as a whole.

Well, I couldn't make every story a galaxy-shaking event. But he DID provide the coordinates that gave the loyalists an edge in the fighting that followed.

Otherwise the book was excellent. Glad I participated this month.

Glad to hear it, and thanks for participating.

Would you be so kind as to post a review on Amazon, however brief?
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Tags: