July 19, 2019, 03:43:44 PM

Author Topic: War of the Usurper: Ask the Author  (Read 2087 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
War of the Usurper: Ask the Author
« on: February 03, 2017, 12:00:07 AM »
Here is our thread to bother @Eli_Freysson with any question we can think of?

What color is the golden throne?
Is the great sword really long?
And how many nobles are there in this book, anyway?

;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eli_Freysson

Re: War of the Usurper: Ask the Author
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 08:01:04 AM »
Here is our thread to bother @Eli_Freysson with any question we can think of?

What color is the golden throne?

A sort of yellow-brown.

Is the great sword really long?

Yes.

And how many nobles are there in this book, anyway?

As I recall, the exact number is: Lots.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline gennerik

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 01:28:37 PM »
Eli, how did you plan out your novel? Specifically, looking at important events and how they tie together, then selecting the MC for each POV?
Author of Lamentation's Peak
Part-time Dreamer / Full-time Speaker

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 11:13:51 PM »
Eli, how did you plan out your novel? Specifically, looking at important events and how they tie together, then selecting the MC for each POV?

As I recall, once I had the very, very basic storyline figured out, I started thinking up characters I could weave into a space opera narrative, and partly adjusted the story milestones to suit them, and partly the other way around. Largely I would say the characters molded the events more than the other way around. Some characters were always going to be on board, but some just developed, most notably the handmaiden and the partisan. I find these kinds of developments a really interesting and fun part of the creative process. Stories really do seem to have a life of their own.

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 04:42:31 AM »

As I recall, once I had the very, very basic storyline figured out, I started thinking up characters I could weave into a space opera narrative, and partly adjusted the story milestones to suit them, and partly the other way around. Largely I would say the characters molded the events more than the other way around. Some characters were always going to be on board, but some just developed, most notably the handmaiden and the partisan. I find these kinds of developments a really interesting and fun part of the creative process. Stories really do seem to have a life of their own.

Very cool that you weaved in The Handmaiden organically, but it makes complete sense. Both The Partisan and The Handmaiden felt like they could have been omitted from the story without any great consequence, but then again both stories added elements pretty integral to the plot, ESPECIALLY The Handmaiden. I maintain it was one of the best shorts of the bunch!   :)
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 07:54:47 AM »
Both The Partisan and The Handmaiden felt like they could have been omitted from the story without any great consequence, but then again both stories added elements pretty integral to the plot, ESPECIALLY The Handmaiden. I maintain it was one of the best shorts of the bunch!   :)

I was quite surprised by how much I myself liked the finished version of The Handmaiden. It's the one entry with no action of any kind, and I have never done romance before. I don't have a whole lot of faith in my ability to write it, but it seemed to turn out alright.