September 16, 2019, 01:45:19 PM

Author Topic: [Feb 2019] - Gender reversal - Discussion Thread  (Read 3015 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
[Feb 2019] - Gender reversal - Discussion Thread
« on: February 01, 2019, 08:46:55 PM »
Gender Reversal

Female Gandalf by Torremitsu

For years February was our Fanfic month. We stopped that tradition and did something else last year. So this is not Fanfic February but it comes close.
It's close because we want you to take a character you know well or like a lot from an existing fantasy series, reverse their gender and write a short story that could have happened  (with all the implications of the new gender) in their existing universe.

"Hey, this is the definition of Fanfic, are you kidding me?", is what you probably think right now. The difference for us is that we don't want you to tell us who you've picked and that the focus isn't on the story/universe you choose but on the gender reversal (which is hard to do without having something to reverse). This is a good exercise to hone your craft. Have fun!

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. Your story's main character has to be a gender reversed character from an existing novel/story/series.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-750 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys under the B.
Bonus rule: We consider voting in a contest you're taking part in a given. Others take time and effort to read the stories - you should do the same. A small community like ours lives from reciprocity and this contest needs stories as much as votes. 

If you want so submit your story anonymously you can do so by sending it in a personal message to @xiagan.

Entry will close February 28th/March 1st, 2019 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.
Submitting a story counts as published. The author retains all rights to their work.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Feb 2019] - Gender reversal - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 10:33:46 PM »
Oh no! I thought it would be a reversion of gender roles or even body swapping, but it's low key fanfic again xD
Not sure I'll participate, I really can't get my mojo on to write in someone else's world, sorry.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Slaykomimi

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 11:53:39 AM »
I agree to @Nora, I love it to dive into the world of others and explore it, but not write in them.
I will still try to make something up for this month because I don't want to skip any contest.

The pipe of that female gandalf looks very similar to my long pipe, except that the engraving looks different.
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 12:02:05 PM »
a reversion of gender roles or even body swapping
I'm not sure this is fun in 1500 words if you have to establish a character and a world first...

Depending on the universe you choose, a gender reversal will change not much (but tbh, there aren't that many fantasy stories where men and women are equal - but that's another discussion), so I thought about upgrading it to race (only works in the  universes with different races, of course).
Think Aragorn falling for Arwen, the dwarven princess.

What do you think?

I really can't get my mojo on to write in someone else's world, sorry.
They're still your words. I think this topic stands or falls with being able to find the right story. I certainly couldn't do it in Middle Earth or the Harry Potter universe, but if I check my read books on Goodreads I'm sure to find something I'd be thrilled to write about.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 01:00:30 PM »
Oh no! I thought it would be a reversion of gender roles or even body swapping, but it's low key fanfic again xD
Not sure I'll participate, I really can't get my mojo on to write in someone else's world, sorry.

I feel you @Nora --  I tried to write a spec script for an existing TV show as part of a fellowship application and several hours into the exercise I realize how utterly impossible I was for me to capture someone else's characters (the world itself was easier for me) and gave up. Anyway maybe we should say each year that it's time for "Bradley-and-Nora-take-a-break February"

That said, I'm super tempted to try to write the story of Xeno Warrior Prince and his trusty sidekick Gabe. 

I feel like this would really be a good prompt for @cupiscent if we're lucky enough to get some of your attention :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 01:39:06 PM »
That said, I'm super tempted to try to write the story of Xeno Warrior Prince and his trusty sidekick Gabe. 
I'd love to read this ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Carter

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Night Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 06:10:29 PM »

For those of us in this position - myself included - I was wondering about stretching the rules a little bit.  I don't much like writing in someone else world but from a fantasy perspective what about drawing on mythologies?  Fairy tales?  Epic poems?  After all, there are plenty of books and stories based around these. 

Robyn Hood?  Queen "Arthur"?  Cinderalan?  The mighty goddess Thora?

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 06:17:37 PM »

For those of us in this position - myself included - I was wondering about stretching the rules a little bit.  I don't much like writing in someone else world but from a fantasy perspective what about drawing on mythologies?  Fairy tales?  Epic poems?  After all, there are plenty of books and stories based around these. 

In my opinion all those are acceptable - what do you think, @xiagan ?

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline cupiscent

• Writing Group
  • Auror
  • an nonsense
    • View Profile
    • viscerate.com
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 09:29:22 PM »
I feel like this would really be a good prompt for @cupiscent if we're lucky enough to get some of your attention :)

What's hilarious about this is that another friend just sent me this Trope Roulette tweet with a note basically saying "You've written this already, right?" I haven't yet, but I might be actually halfway through playing with a fanfic idea involving genderswap, so now I'm sitting here going, "HOW DO YOU PEOPLE KNOW??"

The problem is that I seem to take 1500 words just to clear my throat these days. (The fanfic I'm playing with is at 2300 words and all I've established is "X is now a girl; Y is somewhat flustered about this".) So... thank you for thinking of me, I am very amused, and I will actually have a think about it! But I doubt anything will bite within the wordcount.

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 09:43:13 PM »

In my eyes that's not even stretching the rules. Go for it!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 12:44:48 AM »
Ah well if we don't have to steal someones's world and can twist popular character of fairytales that's a different deal. I can definitely give a shot to my boy Cinder.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 07:16:29 AM »

Okay here's another idea.  I'm not sure how to do this one without getting offensive though. I've only seen the movies, not read the books.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Bellamy Swan was an awkward boy with a somewhat listless disposition--his parents blamed the lack of sunlight in Seattle. They weren't surprised he was single: how could anyone love a boy with absolutely no value and eyes that said "I'm dead inside"?  So when Jacobina Black professed her undying love for him, to their surprise he simply didn't know what to do!

Bellamy frowned-- they couldn't possibly understand. Bellamy's heart belonged to Edie Cullen, the tallest, palest most anorexic girl in school, largely due to her strict diet of blood. She was stoic, emotionally unavailable, completely disinterested in Bellamy-- the perfect woman in every way.  Jacobina was passionate, vivacious and loyal, all qualities Bellamy just couldn't stand. Bellamy picked a strand of black hair off of his jacket.  Did Jacobina shed on him? Bellamy sighed. He just wasn't a dog person.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 08:00:03 AM »

Okay here's another idea.  I'm not sure how to do this one without getting offensive though. I've only seen the movies, not read the books.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Bellamy Swan was an awkward boy with a somewhat listless disposition--his parents blamed the lack of sunlight in Seattle. They weren't surprised he was single: how could anyone love a boy with absolutely no value and eyes that said "I'm dead inside"?  So when Jacobina Black professed her undying love for him, to their surprise he simply didn't know what to do!

Bellamy frowned-- they couldn't possibly understand. Bellamy's heart belonged to Edie Cullen, the tallest, palest most anorexic girl in school, largely due to her strict diet of blood. She was stoic, emotionally unavailable, completely disinterested in Bellamy-- the perfect woman in every way.  Jacobina was passionate, vivacious and loyal, all qualities Bellamy just couldn't stand. Bellamy picked a strand of black hair off of his jacket.  Did Jacobina shed on him? Bellamy sighed. He just wasn't a dog person.
;D ;D

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2019, 04:33:00 PM »
I'm thinking of going down the mythological route with this one.

Just as soon as I'm done laughing at the name Cinderalan.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Jenny HJ

• Coreling
  • Ent Provider to the horticulturally deprived.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 05:46:27 PM »
The old- less Disney versions of fairy tales are definitely calling me.
I fancied twisting a Mabinogion tale- but it may be too obscure for some.