May 24, 2019, 08:41:27 PM

Author Topic: [Feb 2018] - WASIASGYNDL - Voting Thread  (Read 12430 times)

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
    • View Profile
Re: [Feb 2018] - WASIASGYNDL - Voting Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2018, 09:34:03 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, and I agree 100%. The topic was to write something I don't usually like, and I can safely stay I still don't like it. :)

The scene itself was really good! And I liked your take on the silliness of a lot of the RPG world systems :p. It's also refreshing to see a true old school hack and slash fantasy entry too, which seems a lot rarer than it probably should be on a Fantasy/Sci-Fi contest.

Personally, I oft feel guilty of cheating the contest in that regard, as I veer more towards supernatural horror and real world stories with fantastical elements to enable metaphors.
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline Carter

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Night Angel
    • View Profile
Re: [Feb 2018] - WASIASGYNDL - Voting Thread
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2018, 09:21:46 PM »
Thanks for your comments @LadyTy and @D_Bates

I couldn't find anywhere what you aimed at doing differently and did not recognise fanfic, so don't know how you fulfilled the theme

I meant to put something more up about this.  Basically I neither generally read nor have ever attempted any (even if only suggested, as here) off-world sci-fi, and rarely go for a non-human perspective.  It ended up being light-touch, rushed, and to my eyes there was a lot I wanted to improve.  SO I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

This story so nearly claimed one of my votes that I'm disappointed I didn't choose it. Weirdly enough, had I done so, it would have tied with my own! So maybe I cheated you there

Don't worry about this.  If I hadn't voted (which I only got round to doing fairly last minute), I would have tied with you as well.  With something that I rushed and was not happy with (yes, the ending in particular I did not feel was particularly strong), and after reading everyone else's, I would have been happy going away just a single vote. 

And can I just add my comments to others that the time you take to provide individual feedback like this is much appreciated.