June 21, 2018, 11:19:00 AM

Author Topic: [Feb 2018] - WASIASGYNDL - Discussion Thread  (Read 4201 times)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2018, 10:55:18 AM »
@Carter  did too!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Feb 2018] - WASIASGYNDL - Discussion Thread
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2018, 06:40:26 PM »
What the Hell? How come Bradley's post title in this thread is "what are you currently reading?" ???
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2018, 07:01:24 PM »
Ah, he posted in the wrong thread and I moved it here, but didn't notice it still kept the old subject, hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2018, 10:34:34 PM »
Oops sorry!!! When on my phone I make all kinds of mistakes

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2018, 12:44:13 AM »
Ooh! Some mod's magic's after-effects. I thought it was the randomest bug ever.  ::)
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2018, 09:21:04 PM »
Ahem, people.

Only 3 days left.

Time to wrap up on those stories and start posting!! It may be a challenging month but come on, who's still working on it? We can't close with 4 stories!?

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2018, 10:21:21 PM »
I plan to both write a story for this month and vote for last month in the next few days. As usual, it's coming down to the wire, but I shall make time. Soon!

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2018, 04:05:31 AM »
Jmack wrote one in a past contest, so it's feasible ;)
Was it a post formatted full of spoiler tags with the various choices. Maybe I could try and pull it off, just reduce the number of options down. Or maybe I should just go back to the horror story idea and maybe try a CYOS for another month when I have more than a week to work it out.

Then again the horror story is kinda stagnating too....

Online ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2018, 08:10:05 AM »
Jmack wrote one in a past contest, so it's feasible ;)
Was it a post formatted full of spoiler tags with the various choices. Maybe I could try and pull it off, just reduce the number of options down.

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?topic=8896.msg128182#msg128182

(is it sad that after trying searching for it and realising it wouldn't work, I immediately discovered this story just by looking at the monthly themes? I need a life ::) ;D)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2018, 04:47:02 PM »
http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?topic=8896.msg128182#msg128182

(is it sad that after trying searching for it and realising it wouldn't work, I immediately discovered this story just by looking at the monthly themes? I need a life ::) ;D)
I'm not surprised a story format like this would be in the "breaking the fourth wall" month. Seems appropriate.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2018, 07:46:28 AM »
So I'm not gonna have time to finish this month-- things came up-- I was a few words too short to submit.

Here's the "Military Romance" I had so far.

Ian held the bearskin blanket close, clinging to its warm embrace.  He knew war raged outside my tent, but all he could think of was her.

The firm but supple curves of her body, the way her lips curled ever so slightly when she gave her orders, the sparkle of intensity in her eyes as she looked over her maps. What could she possibly see in him, such a plain and simple man with no redeeming qualities?

Ian flushed.  It wasn't his dear Rebecca waiting at home he dreamed of. It was General Lyza Armstrong.  The two couldn't be more different.  Rebecca, with her flowing golden locks spilling over the white sundresses she favored, was nothing like the stern raven-haired general in her form-fitting military uniform.

"Commander--" The soldier froze at the entrance to the tent, mouth agape, clearly wondering what Ian was still doing in bed.  "The General wants to see you in her tent immediately!"

The General wanted to see him! Ian's brow furrowed as he looked down at his...  excitement.  He concentrated on thoughts of the company's packmule. Cold water. Jesters.  Nothing was working.  "Could you... umm... give me a moment to change."

"Of course sir."

In moments, Ian was dressed and ready. Ready for her.

The pair strode across the camp to the general's tent. The general was bent over her table studying the war map, her sumptuous curves even more tempting as she leaned forward.

"You... summoned?" Ian said coyly, biting his lip ever so slightly.

"Yes.  There are 10,000 enemy forces approaching from the east, a quarter of them archers, another quarter cavalry. They will have 10 trebuchets..." She continued on with a good hour of boring strategic details. "I've studied the battlefield for hours, but I see only casualties.  Even with the high ground, forcing them into the ravine, their archers will decimate us. I want you to lead a battalion positioned--"

"I know the real reason you called me here, General."

The general looked at him flatly.  "You're the Commander of my largest battalion."

Ian shifted his weight pushing out his chest and hoping his eyes looked half as steamy as he was trying to make them.

"You lured me into your ravine once.  A sensation of falling like my heart has never felt--"

"That's it!" the General exclaimed.  "I'll put your battalion in the ravine!"

"Wait what?"

"You'll be positioned on the far side of the ravine.  Instead of entering, enemy forces will take the high ground, which will be trapped to collapse.  Brilliant!"

Ian smiled sweetly twisting his foot.  General Lyza gripped him and kissed him on the cheek. It was as if the world had stopped, the war won in an explosion of ecstasy.

"You've won us the war!" she said.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2018, 10:45:40 AM »
@Elfy, that was wonderful, and awful, and hysterical, and fantastic, and funny, and so wrong, and... did I mention funny? It was undeniably Elfy.  ;D ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2018, 08:37:21 PM »
@Elfy, that was wonderful, and awful, and hysterical, and fantastic, and funny, and so wrong, and... did I mention funny? It was undeniably Elfy.  ;D ;D
Thanks, glad you liked it as I was playing in your sandbox, mate.

Offline MattWillis

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2018, 02:09:19 PM »
I'm not going to be able to muster an entry this month I'm afraid. Will have fun reading the others and voting though. Especially if the hilarious 'military romance' above is in any way representative

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2018, 06:19:02 PM »
Unless sudden inspiration happens, I don't think I'm getting in this month. My ideas keep either flat-lining or morphing into the kind of stuff I usually do.