July 21, 2018, 10:06:14 PM

Author Topic: [Feb 2018] - WASIASGYNDL - Discussion Thread  (Read 4687 times)

Offline Jonathan Ryan

Re: [Feb 2018] - WASIASGYNDL - Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2018, 11:17:24 AM »
I've never been particularly comfortable writing in first person PoV and always try to avoid it, would that count...?????????
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."

- George R. R. Martin

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2018, 03:15:40 PM »
I've never been particularly comfortable writing in first person PoV and always try to avoid it, would that count...?????????
Sure :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Jonathan Ryan

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2018, 05:27:46 PM »
Perfect, think I've got an idea so ????????
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."

- George R. R. Martin

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2018, 03:03:23 PM »
Done.

It's a sort of children's tale with a positive message, happy ending, and a stronger narrator presence than I usually do, so way, way, waaaaay out of my comfort zone. It's also the first entry I've made that went way over the word limit and I had to cut a huge amount out to meet the quota--over 200 words and at least 3 characters. Most, admittedly, was just fluff, but I don't know if it's taken away from the story as the pacing feels off in places. But then that could also be because I just suck at this style of writing, which is frustrating, because I admire it an awful lot.

Anyway, it is what it is, including the rather stupid, uninspired, and five second thought up title, so hopefully it does something for somebody.
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline MrTea

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »
I've been reading the contest entries for months now, summoning up the courage to enter. I'm trying to write two books in my spare time, a fantasy epic in a post-apocalytpic future and a near-future YA piece of science fiction.

I've never written in the first person because it's my least favourite thing to read. I also never set anything in the modern day, so my first ever attempt in the contest will be a mix of them. That way if it's rubbish, I have a ready made defence!

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2018, 12:55:13 PM »
^ ;D

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline MattWillis

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2018, 04:11:47 PM »
Struggling a bit this month. Maybe it's having to think of a genre or style I don't usually write in, could actually conceivably attempt, AND a story to write it in. Not really sure where to start.

To go really out of my comfort zone would probably be smut. But that might be a bridge too far.

Online Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2018, 04:36:45 PM »
Brother, if you wrote good smut, I would vote for you!!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline MattWillis

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2018, 06:15:35 PM »
The chances of me writing good smut are seriously slim.

Maybe I should try some dino erotica. How about 'A Billionaire Dinosaur Forced Me Gay' fanfic? That would kill two birds and my dignity with one stone.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2018, 03:55:10 AM »
Are we going to get some more?? Hmmm?
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline MrTea

« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2018, 09:31:13 AM »

Maybe I should try some dino erotica. How about 'A Billionaire Dinosaur Forced Me Gay' fanfic? That would kill two birds and my dignity with one stone.

That's a little close to the works of Chuck Tingle......so fanfic?

Offline MattWillis

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2018, 04:34:33 PM »

That's a little close to the works of Chuck Tingle......so fanfic?

It might be getting into satire. But the problem is it becomes hard to tell what's already satire. Poe's Law seems to apply to smut rather well.

Maybe I should just try steampunk

Offline NightWrite

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2018, 12:07:49 AM »
Ever have one of the those moments where you want to do a "Choose Your Own Adventure" kind of story for the contest because you've never done one before and it's outside your comfort zone. Then realize you'd probably only get 2-3 sentences per choice to get a lot of potential outcomes, which makes you sad. And frustrated. Which leads you to consume a bunch of ice cream to feel better.

I have.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2018, 02:24:35 AM »
Ever have one of the those moments where you want to do a "Choose Your Own Adventure" kind of story for the contest because you've never done one before and it's outside your comfort zone. Then realize you'd probably only get 2-3 sentences per choice to get a lot of potential outcomes, which makes you sad. And frustrated. Which leads you to consume a bunch of ice cream to feel better.

I have.

Cherry Garcia.
Just saying.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2018, 08:52:18 AM »
Jmack wrote one in a past contest, so it's feasible ;)