September 20, 2019, 12:32:27 AM

Author Topic: [Feb 2017] - Fanfic - Discussion Thread  (Read 15912 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
[Feb 2017] - Fanfic - Discussion Thread
« on: January 31, 2017, 09:09:41 PM »
Fanfic

[Didn't find a fitting image on time, will probably add one later. Sorry.]

This is the fourth year we do Fanfic February and we weren't sure if it would be boring by now or not. We got a great idea to give the topic a nice spin, so we don't think it is!
The first year you could write whatever you wanted, the second year we limited the books you could choose from. The third year you had to stage a fight between two main protags (or groups of main characters) from different books/series and this year...

... the main character(s) of one book or series fell out of their book and landed in another book.
They could be messing up the other book's story, take the place of the other book's MCs or just walk around and try to figure out where they are. Kelsier and Vin meeting the Fellowship of the Ring and decide to join the quest? Rincewind finding himself in the Broken Empire, trying (as always) to survive? Eli Monpress teaming up with Hadrian Blackwater (instead of Royce)?
The possiblities are endless but none will be easy to write. ;)

I'm not limiting you to special books but remember that it's more fun for your readers if they know the characters. So if you choose something obscure, not everbody will get the jokes in or the awesomeness of your story. ;)

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. Has to be fan fiction and has to contain characters from one book/series in another book's/series' world.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-750 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys next to the 'youtube' symbol.

If you want so submit your story anonymous you can do so by sending it in a personal message to @xiagan.

Entry will close Feb 28th/Mar 1st, 2017 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.
Submitting a story counts as published. The author retains all rights to their work.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 09:11:28 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: [Feb 2017] - Fanfic - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 09:12:19 PM »
Was a bit rushed this month. Sorry for that. If you find any mistakes feel free to point them out or keep them. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 09:39:13 PM »
I'll admit to not being FanFiction's biggest, um, fan, but I'm sure I can come up with something. Will have to put some thought into this one. Or I could just pull two random books of the shelf and see what I can do with them.  8)
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 09:50:07 PM »
Nooooooooooooo.....!!!!

I'd forgotten february was fanfic.

I still hate fanfic.

But I kinda don't want to miss out on a month...

But wow do I loath fanfic, I don't even like reading the other contributions....

Anyway, how about that for pictures :

Spoiler for Hiden:

Since Belle is coming out as a live action movie soon :

edit, this is not a proper effort if I don't include hannibal.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:00:54 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
I have a feeling this I'm going to be a comedy month.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 10:01:20 PM »
My issues with fanfiction aside, as one of the, uh, how to phrase this ... least well-read?   :-\ Narrowest-read?  >:( Finickiest?  ::) Anyway, as the reader with one of the smallest "I read that" lists in this auspicious company, I hope I am able to follow the stories  ;D

As for writing one? I'm not a funny writer, so I doubt I could follow Jmack's lead. Although, it would be sort of funny if Link showed up at Helm's Deep with his slingshot.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline gennerik

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 10:03:20 PM »
Wow, this is going to be rough.
Author of Lamentation's Peak
Part-time Dreamer / Full-time Speaker

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 10:15:04 PM »
I have a feeling this I'm going to be a comedy month.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to build drama on pre-existing characters. Either the reader knows exactly what happened to them or they know them by name, or worse not at all. So finding the perfect balance of exposition in order to pull off anything emotional is discouragingly hard.
Comedy is easier, because if it's well made we can sort of not need to know the characters much.

To be honest I think I'll scrap this month entirely and go focus on my main story, even though the writing group is pretty dead. I want to try and be more efficient and focused, so maybe it'll help to take a month off.

I'm not limiting you to special books but remember that it's more fun for your readers if they know the characters. So if you choose something obscure, not everbody will get the jokes in or the awesomeness of your story.

I think that's why I so strongly dislike fanfic. Maybe, mayyybe I'd feel more at ease writting a piece of fanfic if it were on some kind of fandom forum. Aka, since I'm a rabid fannibal, I could write a story including Will Graham, make 'puppy overlord' jokes, and everyone would get it. Even in the example set, I have never read Eli Montpress and have no clue at all who Hadrian or Royce are, and what book they come out of.
It makes voting a real pain too, since it can cut off a lot of the pleasure from reading someone's story, even though they'll be very deserving if I'd known the character, etc.
The characters I'd enjoy writing about are the twisted types flowing out of books like Red Dragon, Vicious, The Bloody Chambers or American Elsewhere. No one's read that stuff. In a fandom-free forum like ours (though dare I say @Lanko and I are in a two-persons fandom here?), it's a very hard exercise.

Beyond those issues, there is also the discomfort, as far as I'm concerned, of separating character from the original author's prose. I struggle to see characters like Sanderson's in my hands, because we write nothing like each other. Can a character remain true to itself enough to be enjoyable, while written in a completely different style?

This being said, it's all a compliment to people who manage to make it work. I never intentionally go looking for it, but if I find great fanfic, I applaud.

So good luck everyone!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 10:29:19 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 10:23:09 PM »
My issues with fanfiction aside, as one of the, uh, how to phrase this ... least well-read?   :-\ Narrowest-read?  >:( Finickiest?  ::) Anyway, as the reader with one of the smallest "I read that" lists in this auspicious company, I hope I am able to follow the stories  ;D

As for writing one? I'm not a funny writer, so I doubt I could follow Jmack's lead. Although, it would be sort of funny if Link showed up at Helm's Deep with his slingshot.

Wow, this is going to be rough.

Hah, I forgot February was fanfic! Last year, I wrote a fanfic where Nathan Drake (from Uncharted) and Lara Croft (from the Tomb Raider reboot) got in a fight. They both had books written about them, so technically, it was fair game!

No one voted for it, though, since most hadn't played the games in question. Heh.

I might do the same thing this year, since these contests are more about fun than votes. The problem is, there's no Fire Emblem books out there. That said, there have been a number of novels written in the Mass Effect universe... :0

Anyway, my advice is just find something you think is fun and excites you and write that.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 10:25:20 PM »
Anyway, my advice is just find something you think is fun and excites you and write that.

I think I might have found a pair of book titles I can smash together, so that's the angle I'll be working from.

Also, I now need to go back and find that Drake/Croft bust-up.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 10:57:01 PM »
I'll be honest, for me, the question this month is less going to be 'What two stories will I mix?' and more 'Which fantasy land am I going to get Harry Dresden to set on fire?'
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 11:13:45 PM »
I'll be honest, for me, the question this month is less going to be 'What two stories will I mix?' and more 'Which fantasy land am I going to get Harry Dresden to set on fire?'

That sounds like a winner.

But you make me almost want to try and find out 'Which fantasy land could I get Hannibal to eat his way through?'
Not that that would get any votes  ;D

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 11:56:51 PM »

But you make me almost want to try and find out 'Which fantasy land could I get Hannibal to eat his way through?'
Go for it. I look forward to hearing of his meeting with 'Gandalf the Grilled' and 'Saruman of Many Flavours'.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 12:04:36 AM »

Go for it. I look forward to hearing of his meeting with 'Gandalf the Grilled' and 'Saruman of Many Flavours'.

Only you can come up with that kind of sick jokes!

I thought of have him drop into Little Red Riding Hood (which I've only ever done twice, immaright). The girl would sass Hannibal who would then eat the grandma and eventually eat little red after feeding her some grandma too. Upon being disturbed by the hunter, he'd invite him for a BBQ. Ending on sun setting with hunter and Hannibal enjoying grilled sausages.

Offline DevinBM

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 01:29:25 AM »

I think I might have found a pair of book titles I can smash together, so that's the angle I'll be working from.

Also, I now need to go back and find that Drake/Croft bust-up.

Literally laughing in my chair at this!

I fell out of said chair...  :P

Oooh! Can I call dibs on a pair of books?!?!? Anyone? Bueller?