Poll

Please vote

Uncharted Raider - tebakutis
2 (4.4%)
Full House - Henry Dale
3 (6.7%)
I Am Adventure - Aidan Kolt
5 (11.1%)
Notes of a Transcript from an Interview with Eddard Stark and Albus Dumbledore; On a Philosophical Debate on Nature. - Mr.J
4 (8.9%)
The finalist - Nora
5 (11.1%)
Mistaken Identity - Rukaio_Alter
8 (17.8%)
Battle - Z.Topping
1 (2.2%)
FEUDS OF FATE - Timnacious
1 (2.2%)
TROJAN HORSE - Jmack
6 (13.3%)
Bulls and Horses - m3mnoch
7 (15.6%)
Land of shadow - Blackthorn
0 (0%)
Man and Mutant - Nerf
0 (0%)
A Game of Thorns - Lanko
3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: April 01, 2016, 09:47:40 AM

Author Topic: [Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Voting Thread  (Read 4919 times)

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
Re: [Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Voting Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2016, 05:23:46 PM »
I'll take 4 votes for spewing some nonsensical bullshit, please and thank you.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2016, 05:41:13 PM »
on a serious note, tho.

i've done a ton of analysis on the contest over the last year or so -- both the objective, data-driven kind and the subjective, ask-a-creative-writing-professor-or-three kind.

the conclusion?  our votes are weird.

from a statistical relevance perspective, we're a fairly small group of writers and the contest gives us lots of votes each.  that, in itself, produces LOTS of noise.  worse, even tho a few of us cluster together on taste, there are still probably 6 or 8 different flavor-camps our regular voters group to.

so, statistically, it's noisy.  and taste-wise, it's all over the map.

pushing those tastes to the secondary judging criteria is indeed a winning strategy.  that means well-written fun-and-whimsy (everyone likes funny!) as the primary theme is really the only crossover-friendly flavor that is appealing to most of us.  hence, it's what can win consistently.

the real challenge is pulling off a non-funny primary motif in less than 1500 words yet still appeals to a plurality of us.  that's freakin' hard.

what would "fix" it?  giving out points to your favorite stories instead -- most points wins.  personally, i'd start with factors of 2.  (so, three votes would be: 4, 2, 1)  so, basically, a second-place story needs twice as many votes as the first-place story.

is that easy to do in the forum software?  nope.  does it REALLY matter?  personally, i don't think so.  writing stories, stretching ourselves on topics, and gaggling over the results is fun.  winning be [cool, but still] damned.

Online Eclipse

• Total eclipse of the dragon's heart
  • Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2016, 05:46:08 PM »
Everybody loves humour but people like different humour , I really don't like humor through
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2016, 05:49:47 PM »
Will be interesting to see if anyone can pull out the funny, and in what way, with the Dystiopia theme. Aside from making fun of Hunger Games that is...and if anyone does I'm calling you out now for taking a low shot :P

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2016, 06:19:40 PM »
on a serious note, tho.

i've done a ton of analysis on the contest over the last year or so -- both the objective, data-driven kind and the subjective, ask-a-creative-writing-professor-or-three kind.

the conclusion?  our votes are weird.

from a statistical relevance perspective, we're a fairly small group of writers and the contest gives us lots of votes each.  that, in itself, produces LOTS of noise.  worse, even tho a few of us cluster together on taste, there are still probably 6 or 8 different flavor-camps our regular voters group to.

so, statistically, it's noisy.  and taste-wise, it's all over the map.

pushing those tastes to the secondary judging criteria is indeed a winning strategy.  that means well-written fun-and-whimsy (everyone likes funny!) as the primary theme is really the only crossover-friendly flavor that is appealing to most of us.  hence, it's what can win consistently.

the real challenge is pulling off a non-funny primary motif in less than 1500 words yet still appeals to a plurality of us.  that's freakin' hard.

what would "fix" it?  giving out points to your favorite stories instead -- most points wins.  personally, i'd start with factors of 2.  (so, three votes would be: 4, 2, 1)  so, basically, a second-place story needs twice as many votes as the first-place story.

is that easy to do in the forum software?  nope.  does it REALLY matter?  personally, i don't think so.  writing stories, stretching ourselves on topics, and gaggling over the results is fun.  winning be [cool, but still] damned.
You should totally publish these analyses.  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2016, 07:32:35 PM »
Incidentally, my favourite story out of the lot was actually from the one month last year in which I hadn't read any and therefore didn't vote: December. If I'd have voted, it'd have broken the three-way tie in favour of Adrift; Rukaio & Jmack would have one less winner's medal each!  :o

Aww, thank you :)

It is really interesting to see the breakdown of winners, and the idea of humor having the most crossover appeal is absolutely food for thought. I think people should consider just finishing a story an accomplishment, however. You wrote something, so recognize that accomplishment! A lot of people don't even get that far.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Book 1: Glyphbinder
Book 2: Demonkin
Book 3: Bloodmender

Online xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2016, 09:28:48 PM »
Interesting discussion. :) But it doesn't take into account voters like me, who only vote for stories submitted on days that are prime numbers.  ;D
On a more serious note: Should I cut it out of this thread and post in a new thread or into the "My voting pattern"-topic?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Master Namer
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »
Interesting discussion.
On a more serious note: Should I cut it out of this thread and post in a new thread or into the "My voting pattern"-topic?

That would be better. Didn't we have a thread with an earlier voting analysis by Raptori ? Maybe it was within a voting thread.
My voting reasons change month by month depending on theme and usually read without noting writer. All our winners have been well deserved. The only times I entered it was for the enjoyment of having a go at actually writing, not just dreaming around in my mind. Love the contest, one of top sections of forum. Xia nearly gave me fatal shock this month. :o
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Online Eclipse

• Total eclipse of the dragon's heart
  • Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2016, 07:07:33 AM »
So two people basically rotate winning this contest?  Think I'll be passing on this event in the future.

Nerf did you enter the new contests?
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Tags: