November 27, 2020, 05:53:12 AM

Author Topic: [Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Voting Thread  (Read 46678 times)

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
Re: [Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Voting Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2016, 05:47:49 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
Also also also, <insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>.
Please please please create a signature with this ;D
Done and done.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
Also also also, <insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>.
Please please please create a signature with this ;D
Done and done.

I still have a title change or two in my inventory...
Hmm. What should I do with one of them?
 8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2016, 06:00:47 PM »
I still have a title change or two in my inventory...
Hmm. What should I do with one of them?
 8)
Nyahaha! Don't forget that I too have a title change in my inventory........... which, ironically, I think you actually gave to me.

My point is, be wary Jmack, lest it be turned upon you. DRAMATIC EXIT!

5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2016, 08:22:00 PM »
Congrats Rukaio_Alter! Maybe I need to find themes that are hard to write humorous to give you an additional challenge. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2016, 08:32:51 PM »
Congrats Rukaio_Alter! Maybe I need to find themes that are hard to write humorous to give you an additional challenge. ;)
The most recent two Writing Contest Topics have been 'Nightmares' and 'Dystopia'. If I can make those two funny, I'm fairly certain you're not going to have much luck there.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2016, 08:36:30 PM »
The most recent two Writing Contest Topics have been 'Nightmares' and 'Dystopia'. If I can make those two funny, I'm fairly certain you're not going to have much luck there.

agreed.

it just may require some of us to double-down on the funny in an EPIC TITTER-GIGGLE SHOWDOWN!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2016, 08:44:22 PM »
Yeah... but imagine if the theme is... Clowns. GASP.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2016, 08:56:39 PM »
Yeah... but imagine if the theme is... Clowns. GASP.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #53 on: April 01, 2016, 09:56:58 PM »
If you make the theme clowns, I will roll in a puddle of my own tears and snot and wail for 30 days. Man I hate clowns!! When they don't try to murder you, they're selling you big macs...  ;D
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »
When they don't try to murder you, they're selling you big macs...

that's not the same thing?

Offline Nerf

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2016, 02:53:54 AM »
So two people basically rotate winning this contest?  Think I'll be passing on this event in the future.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2016, 04:43:46 AM »
So two people basically rotate winning this contest?  Think I'll be passing on this event in the future.

Well, it's true that Rukaio can make things frustrating because he's so good at humour, and when you read half a dozen gloomy stories and hit his, well written and that makes you chortle, it can feel a bit like a thievery of votes  :P You vote for him and you think that everyone else will...
But then so what? A few are better than others, get more votes, and hence win. Some people are more beginner than others, or write well but are a bit off-topic etc. Trust me, having strong contestants makes it even more valuable when you win a month. I would not bypass the contest out of fear of seeing Rukaio or Jmack steal the votes from you. It took me 9 months to win a contest, and my writing progress is invaluable, I would never have gotten to that level if I hadn't been in the contest.
Not only does it forces you to come up with new ideas and make it interesting in less than 2k words, but you get to see what makes a popular story, or a better story than yours, and you get the opportunity to get your work critiqued.
Why shy away from that? It's like wanting to quit democracy because your party doesn't get the votes. It just means you need to get better, and the best way to do that is to write more, get critiques and reviews, try again, repeat.

I guess we might have some people who end up being "fans" of the work of others, and it's true that I often give my votes to the same people, but not always. And the more people we have voting, the less favouritism is bound to appear.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:48:23 AM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2016, 09:25:27 AM »
I agre with Nora 100%.
Sometimes I vote for the winner, but most often than not I vote for stories who end up on the lower end of the spectrum. The world is full of different writers, different styles, and each one has got its own fan base.

And it's definitely not about friendship - I love Chilly to bits but his stories/style are definitely not for me ;)

Anyway, "2 people always winning" is really not true either, the posts above are just banter between them.
You have the proof in this thread with all the winning stories of 2015 - you can see how many different names there are:
http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/monthly-writing-contest/the-best-story-of-2015-vote-now!/

Also, there might be a better chance to win if you enter every month and improve your writing in the meantime, like Nora said ;) those 2 have been entering for quite a while now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:29:20 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Blackthorn

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2016, 09:38:08 AM »
Personally glad no one voted for me  ;D.
I wanted to have something to enter but this theme really wasn't for me and I wouldn't have wanted my drivel to waste a well earned vote for anyone else.

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2016, 09:55:43 AM »
Personally glad no one voted for me  ;D.
I wanted to have something to enter but this theme really wasn't for me and I wouldn't have wanted my drivel to waste a well earned vote for anyone else.

I can feel you, this was a very difficult month for me as well, I wasn't motivated and when I had half of a decent idea, it relied so much on a big, well described cast that I felt like I was forced to pare my story to its bones. I'm surprised I did this well votes-wise, I imagine a few people recognized the MC and his magic system.

But don't brand yourself so harshly. I read and rather enjoyed your poem. I could not write a poem to save my life, so you have my respect for catching my interest all along, but I think the worry was that the month's topic wasn't ideal for that format. Mine was better suited (I mean the "arena fight" rather than the epic poem) in my own opinion, so my votes went for similar stories, more confrontational and visual.
Given the looks of the podium, I think that's why you ended up with no votes, rather than for anything intrinsically wrong with your poem...