Poll

Please vote

Uncharted Raider - tebakutis
2 (4.4%)
Full House - Henry Dale
3 (6.7%)
I Am Adventure - Aidan Kolt
5 (11.1%)
Notes of a Transcript from an Interview with Eddard Stark and Albus Dumbledore; On a Philosophical Debate on Nature. - Mr.J
4 (8.9%)
The finalist - Nora
5 (11.1%)
Mistaken Identity - Rukaio_Alter
8 (17.8%)
Battle - Z.Topping
1 (2.2%)
FEUDS OF FATE - Timnacious
1 (2.2%)
TROJAN HORSE - Jmack
6 (13.3%)
Bulls and Horses - m3mnoch
7 (15.6%)
Land of shadow - Blackthorn
0 (0%)
Man and Mutant - Nerf
0 (0%)
A Game of Thorns - Lanko
3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: April 01, 2016, 09:47:40 AM

Author Topic: [Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Voting Thread  (Read 25446 times)

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
Re: [Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Voting Thread
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 11:50:56 PM »
Voted earlier today.

Why am I still up?  ???

Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2016, 09:55:05 AM »
Congrats Rukaio! I voted for you this month! I was sure you'd sweep the podium but I'm somewhat surprised that @Jmack didn't do any better... Since it was my big favorite this month! Great concept and great writing!

Also voted for Mr.J!!

"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2016, 10:30:35 AM »
It was a really annoying month this time cuz you all were so close in quality. My votes are Nora, Jmack, M3mnoch.
Also grats to our winner Rukaio!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 10:54:41 AM »
Enjoyed all this month and thank you for great stories.  In the end I voted for those where I knew  the characters well and enjoy the way they were used, so my votes were  -

Rukaio, not surprised you are our all round winner this month, congratulations.  You got my first vote easily with Harry Dresden and the whole perfect Jim Butcher worthy dialogue and story - really loved it. Please don't wander far from humour, you really excel and can be relied on to make us laugh.

One vote to Aidan Holt for two more of my favourite characters and a terrific battle of words between Wydrin and Kvothe, what a great combination.

Finally, Henry I thought your story was an absolute cracker and laughed so much and appreciated all the characters you chose, then ending with such a top twist was a treat.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:15:08 AM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2016, 11:08:10 AM »
Congratulation Rukaio :D
I voted for you too, even though I've never read Harry Dresden, hehe

My other votes went to Nora and Aidan Holt :)

My comments are in the printed stories at home, so can't say anything else at the moment, but there were several more I really enjoyed.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2016, 11:34:28 AM »
Congratulations to @Rukaio_Alter, the lord of the contest. (Until next month, that is  ;)

I loved the Harry Dresden story, it was my favorite this month. I also voted for Mr. J (so snarky) and Tebakutis (solid, fun stuff).

Henry Dale gets my honorable mention for sheer nuttiness. And I could easily have voted for @m3mnoch. I loved the casual humor of his story, and the lack of any great stakes other than pride.

(Why oh why didn't I vote for m3mnoch instead of Rukaio. That would have shifted a vote, and I would remain tied with my arch nemesis. Must remember never to vote for Rukaio again... except when he writes really good stuff. Dammit)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:41:43 PM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2016, 11:41:55 AM »
I almost forgot to vote, I did it while I was writing the Nightmare one haha.

Never read Harry Dresden and also have no idea who Vasher is, but got curious after reading them. Knows nothing of Conan too, but him + Drogo and tsundere Dany was a curious crossover and good.

My votes went for @Rukaio_Alter (best characterization), @Nora (best action/magic) and @m3mnoch (best crossover).
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2016, 02:43:05 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
As the arena doors rumbled open, Jmack saw his opponent for this round. m3mnoch, king of the lowercase letters. This was going to be an interesting fight.

"i've come for you, jmack!" m3mnoch shouted with his usual flair for the dramatic. "give up now and i promise i'll destroy you quickly!"

"I'll never yield to a man who doesn't know how to use the SHIFT key!" Jmack replied bravely, dashing into the arena at the head of his herd of venomous carniverous goats. "Charge, my pretties!"

As the herd of angrily braying goats surrounded m3mnoch, he took the only reasonable action for a man in such a situation. He tossed empty cans across the arena. Distracted by their only weakness, the goats commenced to gnawing, allowing m3mnoch to sidestep them and advance on Jmack wielding a claymore that was a giant lowercase t*.

Jmack grabbed a goat and it went stiff. He then used the stiff goat and its horns to fend off m3mnoch's lowercase t as the two engaged in a flurry of blows and counterblows.

"you'll never defeat me!" m3mnoch chortled. With one great slice, he chopped off the top of Jmack's J.

"You fiend!" jmack said, now missing the upper half of his first letter. He redoubled his efforts, pushing m3mnoch closer to the herd of goats, who were even now gnawing on the last of their cans.

Who would win? Who would lose? Who would learn to use their SHIFT key?

Watching the proceedings from above, Rukaio_Alter stroked his underscore and smirked as his minions continued to do battle.

* because an uppercase T would have been beneath him, of course.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2016, 02:46:29 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
As the arena doors rumbled open, Jmack saw his opponent for this round. m3mnoch, king of the lowercase letters. This was going to be an interesting fight.

"i've come for you, jmack!" m3mnoch shouted with his usual flair for the dramatic. "give up now and i promise i'll destroy you quickly!"

"I'll never yield to a man who doesn't know how to use the SHIFT key!" Jmack replied bravely, dashing into the arena at the head of his herd of venomous carniverous goats. "Charge, my pretties!"

As the herd of angrily braying goats surrounded m3mnoch, he took the only reasonable action for a man in such a situation. He tossed empty cans across the arena. Distracted by their only weakness, the goats commenced to gnawing, allowing m3mnoch to sidestep them and advance on Jmack wielding a claymore that was a giant lowercase t*.

Jmack grabbed a goat and it went stiff. He then used the stiff goat and its horns to fend off m3mnoch's lowercase t as the two engaged in a flurry of blows and counterblows.

"you'll never defeat me!" m3mnoch chortled. With one great slice, he chopped off the top of Jmack's J.

"You fiend!" jmack said, now missing the upper half of his first letter. He redoubled his efforts, pushing m3mnoch closer to the herd of goats, who were even now gnawing on the last of their cans.

Watching the proceedings from above, Rukaio_Alter stroked his underscore and smirked as his minions continued to do battle.

This should totally be a story and enter a FF Anthology.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2016, 02:53:06 PM »
Congratulations, Rukaio! And m3mnoch and Jmack. I voted for the top three this month.  8)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2016, 03:01:05 PM »
congrats rukaio!  not only did jmack vote for you, but i did too!

also, apparently my big outlier vote this month was for @Timnacious -- i thought that story was super-fun.  easily my favorite character match of the bunch.  the lack of general popularity may be because i am probably one of the few who've read the stormlight books.

Spoiler for Hiden:

omg!  can i retroactively go back and vote for this?!?!  I LOVE IT and cannot mash the like button enough times!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2016, 03:48:10 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:

Yes! This!
Special vote! Now!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2016, 05:18:56 PM »
Congrats Rukaio

I just voted for Henry this month  ;D
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2016, 05:33:33 PM »

YES! FIRST PERSON TO WIN 5 WRITING CONTESTS! Also, I've finally overtaken Jmack in the win count. Thanks to everyone who voted for me, obviously, and everyone else who helped make this another great month.

I'll admit, I'm especially happy to win this month, considering I actually first started the Writing Contest in February last year. And it feels especially appropriate to win with a Dresden Files story, considering Jim Butcher was the person who got me into writing in the first place. So it's kinda like things have come full circle... within another full circle... with a third full circle if you take into account March being the first month I won... and maybe another circle if you include- Look, what I'm trying to say is that there's a lot of circles. I think.

Well anyway, to sum up, here's to a great last 12 months. And hopefully another great year to come.............. which includes me winning even more Writing Contests.  :P

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, tebakutis got me so right in his story. I am totally the secret evil overlord here.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also also, I am running out of victory gifs to use.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also also also, <insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2016, 05:41:34 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
Also also also, <insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>.
Please please please create a signature with this ;D

Ok, and now checking my notes, I could have easily also voted for Jmack (who kept me reading even though I wasn't interested in the characters), m3m, mr.J, Henry or Lanko :)
(and I still think T.Rex isn't a character ;) )
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:46:17 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams