October 17, 2019, 07:15:28 PM

Author Topic: [Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Discussion Thread  (Read 28365 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: [Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2016, 06:41:48 AM »
Xia, do you mean that comic characters are included in the "book character" spectrum?
No, that was just an example.

Alright, but still? Does it not qualify? After all graphic novels are novels, and comic books and famous mangas are books recorded on GoodReads...
Not that I'm looking at doing it mind you, but the clarification would be good
I think that opens the field too much. There are thousands of mangas, comics would contain Donald Duck, Asterix and Homer Simpson and again thousands of other comics.
We have so many fantasy (and SF) books, do we really need to open this up in the comic direction? What for?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2016, 07:53:51 AM »
Isn't a talking duck a fantasy. I'm sure there's a Donald duck novel out there lol
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2016, 08:41:11 AM »
Isn't a talking duck a fantasy. I'm sure there's a Donald duck novel out there lol
Special permission for you to write a story containing Donald Duck.  ;D

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2016, 09:22:55 AM »
See! My point!  ;D

No it's just that if goodreads considers V for Vendetta or Watchmen books, I figured their characters would be both well known enough and pretty awesome to describe in fights.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm taking my angry writing seriously. I'm 8 pages deep only in notes and plotting, and the battle will include 9 characters from 9 different authors.
Even drew the MC in late night doodles. If anyone is keen to have a look and try to guess who it'll be, here he goes : http://i.imgur.com/drBO8G3.jpg
The mail is here to blot the name out!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2016, 09:59:14 AM »
See! My point!  ;D

No it's just that if goodreads considers V for Vendetta or Watchmen books, I figured their characters would be both well known enough and pretty awesome to describe in fights.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm taking my angry writing seriously. I'm 8 pages deep only in notes and plotting, and the battle will include 9 characters from 9 different authors.
Even drew the MC in late night doodles. If anyone is keen to have a look and try to guess who it'll be, here he goes : http://i.imgur.com/drBO8G3.jpg

Hrm. So many characters that would fit that description...
Is it Lan from WoT? No? I give up  :P

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
He looks familiar... Hm...

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2016, 10:28:44 AM »
Not WoT. For even know why WoT stands for :p
There are very few illustrations of this guy even though he's sort of crucial to his book.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2016, 11:19:45 AM »
See! My point!  ;D

I think he sat next to me on the bus the other day...

We have a lot that look like that going on to Glastonbury.

Online Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2016, 03:47:32 PM »
Xia, do you mean that comic characters are included in the "book character" spectrum?
No, that was just an example.

Alright, but still? Does it not qualify? After all graphic novels are novels, and comic books and famous mangas are books recorded on GoodReads...
Not that I'm looking at doing it mind you, but the clarification would be good

Same thing here. I want to use a character mostly famous because of his appearance in comics/movies, but there works of him (and his universe) as graphic novels and even a book in paperback.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2016, 06:12:58 PM »
Edit - it's decided actually, I'm going to write something monstrous and ridiculous with dozens of opponents with characters including my own in a way that will make all your eyes bleed. I actually have a ton of re-reading to do and plans an mapping for each battle it's stupid.

Okay, now I'm imagining something as ridiculous as Project X Zone, but with novel characters instead of game characters. I want to read that!

Offline AshKB

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2016, 09:00:17 PM »
Oof, I think I'll stand myself out of this one. [...]  but I don't read nearly enough of what is popular in fantasy currently.
Please don't. It's not a rule to use characters from bestsellers and using somebody cool from a lesser known book/series may even get some people to read that book. :)

Eh, I have a lot on this month (including starting a new medication), so there are other reasons to sit this one out. Fanfic DOES involve a lot of 'needing to know the canon', which makes this kind of thing hard. While there are works which can work as separate to the source, they are much harder to pull off, and certainly with the word-limit. But mostly, from a fanfic writer's POV, if I can think of a pair of canons to crossover that have enough name-cred to work within this short word-limit, AND a pair of characters I can actually write (not all fanfic writers can write all characters, and my headspace for this area is very firmly in a fandom already), I can put it on AO3 and have far more people come over and read it. And if I'm going to finish a fanfic this month, it's going to be one of the ones already on my computer, because oh gosh, do I need to clear out the backlog there.

So, yes. Sitting this one out. Hopefully March, though!
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be lighted - Plutarch

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

Offline SJBudd

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Godling
    • View Profile
    • SJBUDD
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2016, 12:26:48 PM »
Don't think this is for me but reading the entries is going to be a lot of fun  :)

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2016, 06:24:52 PM »
I'm in  8)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2016, 08:10:06 PM »
References: The moomins, Liveship Traders, Harry Potter, MLP (or anything with glittery ponies), Wheel of Time
This has to be the most "I just have to read this" blurb EVER ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2016, 12:22:41 AM »
References: The moomins, Liveship Traders, Harry Potter, MLP (or anything with glittery ponies), Wheel of Time
This has to be the most "I just have to read this" blurb EVER ;D
Excellent idea, one sentence blurbs would be an added attraction. Good idea in the future?
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic