September 18, 2019, 03:00:49 PM

Author Topic: [Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Discussion Thread  (Read 27027 times)

Offline Blackthorn

Re: [Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2016, 07:35:17 PM »
I'm going to give this a shot just because it will be my second time participating, but I don't expect I can do this well. Also, whatever characters I decide on will most likely be from books written a decade or more ago.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2016, 08:33:54 PM »
Oof, I think I'll stand myself out of this one. [...]  but I don't read nearly enough of what is popular in fantasy currently.
Please don't. It's not a rule to use characters from bestsellers and using somebody cool from a lesser known book/series may even get some people to read that book. :)

Bouuuuh I don't want to not participate but I hate fan fiction...  :'(
I'm not a fan either - at least that's what I thought until I read some entries of the last fanfic contests. Fanfic can be cool. :)

My voice just won't fit other people's creation. Just dreaming up situations feels wrong and out of context...  :-[
See it as a challenge to your writing abilities. ;) I know that writing fanfic is hard - especially if you try to emulate someone else's voice. Having a crossover theme this time makes it easier I think, because it doesn't have to take place in another author's world.

Comic books do it constantly (Marvel vs DC; Mickey Mouse vs some real historical persons, ...) and it works great there.

Shout-out for @ScarletBea who is an incredible help with the contests and helps me immensely with staying on schedule (except with the publication of the winners on the main site - we're working on that)!

Wanted to Like that ........................
Please do. ;)

I'd prefer if we stayed with book characters, after all this is mainly a book site, but I'll leave it to xiagan to set up the rules :)
Completely agree. (Besides, having more options to choose from makes it even harder. ;))
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2016, 10:54:54 PM »
Of course I'm in. Haven't missed a month since I started  in Nov 14, not going to start now.  :)

I have an idea.
It may require a bunch of research.
And scotch.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2016, 11:37:16 PM »
Xia, do you mean that comic characters are included in the "book character" spectrum?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2016, 01:45:13 AM »
If you choose characters that are not generally well known, some of the impact and appreciation of your action/ dialogue/comments will be lost. They will rely on the knowledge of the book situations and the particular little quirks/strengths/weaknesses of those characters.

It is a risk you run. For example, if I said I would match Mouse and Oberon, I wonder how many here would know who I meant straight away?
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2016, 03:12:36 AM »
Mmmh. I have an idea for a setting that would make things bearable, but no clue as to which character would be interesting or that I would at all be able to write. I don't like other people's character's forced on me :(
I can see why people like fanfic to read, but I really struggle getting my excitement up.

Edit - it's decided actually, I'm going to write something monstrous and ridiculous with dozens of opponents with characters including my own in a way that will make all your eyes bleed. I actually have a ton of re-reading to do and plans an mapping for each battle it's stupid.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 05:06:08 AM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2016, 05:52:31 AM »
If you choose characters that are not generally well known, some of the impact and appreciation of your action/ dialogue/comments will be lost. They will rely on the knowledge of the book situations and the particular little quirks/strengths/weaknesses of those characters.

It is a risk you run. For example, if I said I would match Mouse and Oberon, I wonder how many here would know who I meant straight away?

Me,Elfy,Mr J .....
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2016, 07:42:38 AM »
http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif

Me,Elfy,Mr J .....
;D I knew I could count on you three, and also  Ryan Mueller, but I wondered how many more who follow the contests? It would be good to know just how many Druid and Dresden fans there really are here on the forum.
NB This was  only an example I chose at random and not to be mistaken for any commitment to go down that road ;)  :)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2016, 09:28:59 AM »
I have an intro, have characters and have a premise.
I got this  8)

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2016, 10:51:46 AM »
Quote from: Lady_Ty

I have no idea who they are.

Edit:
So if I were to choose Stephen Leeds (Legion) for one of my characters, does that mean I get to use all his friends/hallucinations too?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:11:05 AM by night_wrtr »

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2016, 11:01:35 AM »
http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/Smileys/default/grin.gif

Me,Elfy,Mr J .....
;D I knew I could count on you three, and also  Ryan Mueller, but I wondered how many more who follow the contests? It would be good to know just how many Druid and Dresden fans there really are here on the forum.
NB This was  only an example I chose at random and not to be mistaken for any commitment to go down that road ;)  :)
Sorry to disappoint, no idea who they are. :D

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2016, 05:20:57 PM »
Mr J, I'm sure your an Iron Druid Fan really  ;D go and read Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles #1) by Kevin Hearne ( now
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2016, 05:29:39 PM »
Xia, do you mean that comic characters are included in the "book character" spectrum?
No, that was just an example.

Edit:
So if I were to choose Stephen Leeds (Legion) for one of my characters, does that mean I get to use all his friends/hallucinations too?

Why not? It's the character's specialty after all.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2016, 06:19:30 PM »
Mr J, I'm sure your an Iron Druid Fan really  ;D go and read Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles #1) by Kevin Hearne ( now
Have never heard of that book before! Sounds interesting though, it will be added to the list. :D

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2016, 10:57:36 PM »
No, that was just an example.

Alright, but still? Does it not qualify? After all graphic novels are novels, and comic books and famous mangas are books recorded on GoodReads...
Not that I'm looking at doing it mind you, but the clarification would be good