July 19, 2019, 03:38:29 PM

Author Topic: [Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Discussion Thread  (Read 25663 times)

Offline SugoiMe

Re: [Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 01:56:02 AM »
Fight scene, huh?  Is this a verbal fight scene or a physical fight scene?

This is a tough one.  It's hard to get into the minds of other authors' characters.  And since I'm not as 'seasoned' of a fantasy reader as some (or a reader period), I probably won't recognize a lot of characters.

However, I would like to see a standoff between Aragorn and Hadrian Blackwater.  Or maybe that wily dwarf from the Sword of Shannara against Royce.  (Can you tell I'm reading Riyria books right now? hehe).

Oh!  I know, guys!  Dumbledore vs. Gandalf!  I feel like someone might have thought of/tried that before.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 01:57:59 AM »
Yeah, that's going to be a bit of a problem for readers as well... Even though I read a lot of sff, I still don't recognize any of the names in Xiagan's examples besides Kelsier, or I know of the name but it's from series I have not read... Might not be able to be a fair judge this month either.

Is this a verbal fight scene or a physical fight scene?

@SugoiMe if you read Xiagan's post carefully he says it can be a battle with swords, magic, or words. So verbal battles are fine too.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:59:43 AM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 02:02:42 AM »
Yeah, that's going to be a bit of a problem for readers as well... Even though I read a lot of sff, I still don't recognize any of the names in Xiagan's examples besides Kelsier, or I know of the name but it's from series I have not read... Might not be able to be a fair judge this month either.

Is this a verbal fight scene or a physical fight scene?

@SugoiMe if you read Xiagan's post carefully he says it can be a battle with swords, magic, or words. So verbal battles are fine too.

hehe Maybe I should read the post carefully next time.  ::)
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2016, 03:03:47 AM »
Shout-out for @ScarletBea who is an incredible help with the contests and helps me immensely with staying on schedule (except with the publication of the winners on the main site - we're working on that)!

Wanted to Like that ........................

ETA  ;D ;D ;D ;D Don't rush will you, @tebakutis, like don't push in at the head if the queue, or try and get No  1  spot or anything. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Seriously, mouth dropping speed.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 04:04:50 AM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2016, 04:19:23 AM »
ETA  ;D ;D ;D ;D Don't rush will you, @tebakutis, like don't push in at the head if the queue, or try and get No  1  spot or anything. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Seriously, mouth dropping speed.

It was a really cool theme and I got excited. :0

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 08:04:59 AM »
I'd prefer if we stayed with book characters, after all this is mainly a book site, but I'll leave it to xiagan to set up the rules :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2016, 01:58:27 PM »
I'd prefer if we stayed with book characters, after all this is mainly a book site, but I'll leave it to xiagan to set up the rules :)

That's why I went and found books starring the characters I used! :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2016, 02:09:15 PM »
Oh yes, I noticed - I was mostly replying in general, in case others were thinking about the same thing :)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2016, 06:16:23 PM »
So just to clarify some things, as I started writing my idea but skidded to a halt pretty quickly.

If I'm doing Locke Lamora vs Jorg for example, am I supposed to be writing fan-fic mimicking the style of one of the characters from the author they are written by? As Locke is written in third person while Jorg speaks to us directly, so it was weird writing Jorg in the third person when that just doesn't happen in the writing.

Or am I being dumb here (if I am it's due to tiredness :D)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2016, 06:27:06 PM »
I think it's more related to the personalities of the characters, rather than the writers' specific styles.

So for example in your case, I doubt we'd see Jorg having a funny chat and pint with Locke, hehe

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2016, 06:34:02 PM »
I think it's more related to the personalities of the characters, rather than the writers' specific styles.

So for example in your case, I doubt we'd see Jorg having a funny chat and pint with Locke, hehe
Fair enough! Think I'll do it from Locke's POV anyway, think I can actually write that than mimic Jorg's mind...

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2016, 06:35:41 PM »

Fair enough! Think I'll do it from Locke's POV anyway, think I can actually write that than mimic Jorg's mind...

Mimic Jorg mind hmm Henry Dale might be able to help with that  ;D
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2016, 06:37:12 PM »
i'm hoping to make this month, but i may not.

for one, i'm crushing on a couple short stories to submit as part of my application to clarion.  (one of them happens to be a story with guns.  and dragons.  double-duty!)

the other reason is my general malaise about fan-fic.  never really been my thing.  besides, even tho i love the fight scene part of it, i'm suffering some pretty deep cognitive dissonance when it comes to mixing the narrative voice of some of my favorite characters into one scene - and still keep it feeling authentic.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2016, 06:59:50 PM »

For mine, I actually went and read the first chapters of the Uncharted and Tomb Raider novel tie-ins to see how each author had written the characters (thanks, Look Inside!) and used that to inform how I wrote the crossover. I tried to mimic Christopher Golden's writing style, to an extent (even though I'd never read any of his other work) while also drawing on my experiences in both games.

What was the most fun when thinking through how a fight would go between Drake and Lara was comparing how powerful each character was, just considering what you do in each game. If you consider only the mechanics in each game, Lara wins in most encounters. If she has any sort of sightline on Nathan Drake, he's pretty much dead with an arrow between the eyes.

Drake's combat in Uncharted is mostly gunfights at close to medium range, with some fistfights in melee. Lara spends the vast majority of her time creeping through woods, silently headshoting enemies with bows from long range, without ever being spotted. Plus, she gets perks later in the game that allow her to headshot people automatically, which make her absolutely lethal.

Technically, if Drake had a sniper rifle and sightline on an unaware Lara, he could probably take her out, and he also might have a chance if the got in a straight up gunfight, but if she got to choose where the encounter took place, I think Drake's pretty much dead. Fortunately for Drake, because Lara's a decent person and actually didn't WANT to kill him (I figured Drake would just take a contract for Trinity, without knowing about their darker deeds) I decided she'd fire some warning shots to cover her advance, instead.

Can't wait to see what other people come up with, I *love* this writing prompt.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:01:36 PM by tebakutis »

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2016, 07:08:36 PM »
May I suggest that the 'newbies' (even though I think of you as anything but!) read the entries from last year's fan-fic challenge?
There were some really good ones, and maybe you'll be inspired :)