November 13, 2019, 09:00:30 PM

Author Topic: [Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Discussion Thread  (Read 29255 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Discussion Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
Which one would you pick to write about @Jmack ? I'd go for the second one myself  write about a cyborg living there!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2016, 11:51:05 AM »
Since you claimed the second  ;) and the third doesn't show up on my iPhone, I'll take the first. A strange alien has crash landed on a snow bound Viking planet and is hiding on the rooftops from the terrifying humanoids.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2016, 11:58:56 AM »
Number 2.
Tuk tuk cabs still exist in the distant future. Adventures of an airborne traffic cop in the year 3473. 8)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2016, 12:19:15 PM »
Well in that case, let it be said that my cyborg would be a shrine attendant, working for the living god residing there, and his main job would be to go around on his shitty flying scooter to deliver or placate wards written by the god on pieces of paper or wood.  :P
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2016, 12:30:49 PM »
The second image reminds me of The Fifth Element :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2016, 01:51:06 PM »
Since you claimed the second  ;) and the third doesn't show up on my iPhone, I'll take the first. A strange alien has crash landed on a snow bound Viking planet and is hiding on the rooftops from the terrifying humanoids.

Fixed the third for you, but still reckon your viking version of The Thing is a great idea. :p

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2016, 02:32:28 PM »
that's a sweet series of photos, @Nora -- nice work.

i'd take the last one.  it's calling to me, asking for a blade runner / ghost in the shell mashup.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2016, 02:40:07 PM »
Love those kinds of pictures. We'd choose #4, and naturally write a story about turf wars between cats from either side of the street/tracks.  8)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2016, 03:01:24 PM »
Dug up this fancy pic.

A fantasy version of Mrs Dalloway would be my thing.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2016, 03:04:09 PM »
i'd take the last one.  it's calling to me, asking for a blade runner / ghost in the shell mashup.

Please, please write that!

Though I am afraid Deckard would be a bit outmatched by Major Kusanagi. It wouldn't really be a fair fight...

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 24, 2016, 11:06:30 PM »
Love all the pictures Nora and Henry, they have so much possibility. Nora your second one made me think of this in nowadays Hong Kong. Then I realised it was all so way off subject have put in spoiler so not to fill up page with irrelevant pics.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Then I remembered flying into Hong Kong before they built new runway and airport and the plane was so close to the old high rises that just before you landed you could actually see the washing and people on the balconies from the plane window very near.   :o At the time it didn't seem at all worrying and some of the actual streets then were often like your last picture.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:37:20 PM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2016, 01:41:04 AM »
Dug up this fancy pic.

A fantasy version of Mrs Dalloway would be my thing.

Huh... This looks just like Paris.. But is there someone with a dragon's tail in the middle there? I'd go back to Paris if it were like this IRL!

Spoiler for Hiden:
Rue des Tuileries

Or rue de Rivoli

And you're right Lady Ty, it does. A lot of streets in Japan as well, especially in Tokyo, seem to be so crowded with signs and cables that the illustrations can look tame!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:09:38 AM by Nora »

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2016, 10:06:28 PM »
*phew*

officially submitted my application for the clarion workshop.  imma gonna grind through this month's story and see if i can slam out something awesome.

Offline Blackthorn

[Feb 2016] - Fanfic - Discussion Thread
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2016, 11:28:19 PM »
Still trying to come up with an idea of what characters to use myself

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2016, 03:55:21 AM »
I truly knocked myself out trying this month, chef contests, circus acts, gladiators, who knows what, just didn't work for me. I even went back to try Mouse v Oberon and can't get past this doggerel

I belong to the Druid, Atticus my master
I'm Oberon the Wolfhound, nobody faster
Threatened by Angus Og and his Fianna
Then chased by Loki and Goddess Diana
Done defeated Thor an' ser'sly bad witches
But happiest with bacon and French poodle bitches

ABSOLUTELY TIME TO GIVE UP   ::) ::)
Good luck everyone who enters it is a good subject and will make great reading.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic