October 18, 2019, 09:59:06 AM

Author Topic: [Feb 2014] Fanfic - Discussion Thread  (Read 11889 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
[Feb 2014] Fanfic - Discussion Thread
« on: February 02, 2014, 10:08:37 PM »

"Muggles had reached the moon" (by dinosaurusgede)

Your challenge this month is something a bit different! You have to write fanfiction, which means that your story should be set in an already existing fantasy world.
It doesn't matter if your story is set in Middle Earth, Winterfell, Andor, Modeg, Genabakis, Ankh-Morpork, the Broken Empire, Camorr or something entirely different but it must be possible to recognize the world. You don't have to use main characters from those worlds/books but if you want to, you can.

If you want an additional challenge, you can try to emulate the original authors writing style. :)

Rules:

1. This can be prose or a poem.
2. Must be fan fiction set in the world of a published fantasy book.
4. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
5. Poetry must be 100-500 words long.
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.

Entry will close February 28th 2014 and voting will begin March 1st 2014.

Please post your entry here.

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website in April 2014.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: [Feb 2014] Fanfic - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:12:58 PM »
Oh I like this one. So MUCH scope. Now I just have to work out how to keep it to between 500 - 1500 words long.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline TOMunro

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 12:10:59 AM »
Fanfic? you mean like Peter Jackson's Hobbit films only keeping more faith with the original milieu :)

Offline Fellshot

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 04:45:46 AM »
Can the short have been posted elsewhere before? I have a bunch of drabbles on a fanfiction site that could be dusted and polished.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
AW: Re: [Feb 2014] Fanfic - Discussion Thread
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:07:49 AM »
Can the short have been posted elsewhere before? I have a bunch of drabbles on a fanfiction site that could be dusted and polished.
If you rewrite them a bit (that's what dust and polish mean I guess), it would be okay.
Usually it's posted = published.

People ask if something they've written before is eligible all the time.
It is, because we can't check it anyways.
On the other hand this is called 'writing challenge' and not 'browse your archive if something you've written years before fits this month's theme-challenge'. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »
Oh I like this one. So MUCH scope. Now I just have to work out how to keep it to between 500 - 1500 words long.

*giggle* - 500 words in usually just the first paragraph for you...  ;)  It'll be an interesting excersise for you to write something "so short".

Like elfy said, lots of scope with this one, if only I could coax the plot bunny into cooperating!

"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline Thanos

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 05:48:10 PM »
Nice! I always wanted an excuse to write an Eternal Champion story  :D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 05:51:04 PM by Thanos »

Offline Maxfield

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Coreling
  • It takes two to tango, but a forum to have fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 01:12:42 PM »
After getting off the bus last night, I unfolded my folding bike and began my 40 minuet cycle home against the strong wind and pooring rain. I then entered my house soaked through to encouter my 1 year boy screaming with a running nose and my 3 year old daughter shouting, whilst my finacee attepted to get them ready for bed. She had had a bad day and I knew you just wanted to cry.

That's when I had my idea for my piece of work!

So I decided to take the Harry Potter family and write what us fans may not see behind closed doors - as life isn't just fantasy, its hard bloody work.

The die hard Harry Potter fans will either find it funny or want to kill me lol

I hope you all enjoy.  :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 01:15:37 PM by Maxfield »

Offline TOMunro

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 09:44:25 PM »
So I decided to take the Harry Potter family and write what us fans may not see behind closed doors - as life isn't just fantasy, its hard bloody work.

Very good, very enjoyable - loved the bit about not getting to use his wand for a while.  Also loved the last reference to Voldemort.  Yes - funny and faithful fan-fic, perfect!

Offline Thanos

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 11:41:13 PM »
After getting off the bus last night, I unfolded my folding bike and began my 40 minuet cycle home against the strong wind and pooring rain. I then entered my house soaked through to encouter my 1 year boy screaming with a running nose and my 3 year old daughter shouting, whilst my finacee attepted to get them ready for bed. She had had a bad day and I knew you just wanted to cry.

I liked the idea of showing us the everyday life of Harry and Ginny.
One thing that dissapointed me was the reference to Cho. I mean, what married man that has a fight with his wife says "Man, I wish I had married my high school girlfriend." It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Other than that, it was enjoyable, so good luck  :D

Offline Maxfield

• Coreling
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 12:00:42 PM »

Very good, very enjoyable - loved the bit about not getting to use his wand for a while.  Also loved the last reference to Voldemort.  Yes - funny and faithful fan-fic, perfect!

Thanks I appreciate your kind words :)

Offline Maxfield

• Coreling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 12:03:24 PM »

I liked the idea of showing us the everyday life of Harry and Ginny.
One thing that dissapointed me was the reference to Cho. I mean, what married man that has a fight with his wife says "Man, I wish I had married my high school girlfriend." It just doesn't make a lot of sense.

Other than that, it was enjoyable, so good luck  :D

Thanks for your reply and I understand your views on Cho Chang and yes I would agree that it would be unlikely that Harry would say what he did in a real argument, but being a huge fan of comedy I wanted to use this exercise to practice my style of humour.

Although I do understand that everyone is different and will not laugh at things that others find funny.

My favourite comedies are Gavin & Stacy, Only Fools & Horses, Friends and recently Two Broke Girls and New Girl, but some people find Little Britain funny!!!

Thanks for your feedback…I’m always learning and appreciate all critiques of my work.
?

:)

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 11:58:12 PM »
I've just submitted one piece of Fan-fic... I choose to write mine in the world of T O Munro's Bloodline Trilogy. Perhaps not yet as well known as Tolkien's but then he has a few decades of a headstart - it will get there!
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 03:34:37 AM »
I've also posted an entry - another Harry Potter  :)  But it's pre-series, not post-series like Maxfield's is.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline AshKB

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 08:44:11 AM »
I'm trying to resist writing anything for this, because fanfic is the main thing I write. But it'll be interesting to see what fanfic newbies will do :D
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be lighted - Plutarch

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson