May 27, 2020, 06:00:03 AM

Author Topic: February 2012 Writing Challenge Discussion Thread  (Read 5090 times)

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
February 2012 Writing Challenge Discussion Thread
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:05:03 PM »
In this thread, you can comment on the stories being voted on this month and ask the authors questions about their work.  You can give your opinions on which stories you liked and why you liked them, or give constructive advice for those you didn't like as much.

Thread Rules

1. This thread is for polite discussion only; a place for the authors to interact with their readers and hopefully a useful tool for all involved.  This is not a place to try and get people to vote for you, or to badmouth others' work so more people pick your story over theirs.  If we get complaints that either of these things is happening, the guilty parties will be banned from the writing contest.  If it continues happening with multiple people, we will discontinue the discussion thread.

2. Remember that real people wrote this stuff, and real people have real feelings. Things you may not say here: "That’s awful." "That's stupid." "You couldn't write your way out of a paper bag."

3. Please be respectful, courteous, and most of all have fun.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, questions, or problems.  Have fun everyone and good luck to our contestants!

Here is a link to the stories we are discussing this month: http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/writers-corner/february-2012-writing-challenge/

Offline LeifGSNotae

• Coreling
  • Flash Fiction Writer and Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Leif G.S. Notae - Writing More With Less
Re: February 2012 Writing Challenge Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:33:43 AM »
Sad to see there were only 5 entries, though I can understand the short month and whatnot. Also interesting to see everyone else did a modern or sci-fi piece. I placed my vote (and it wasn't for myself), best of luck to you all and I hope the best person wins!

Offline AshKB

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »
Sad to see there were only 5 entries, though I can understand the short month and whatnot. Also interesting to see everyone else did a modern or sci-fi piece. I placed my vote (and it wasn't for myself), best of luck to you all and I hope the best person wins!

It was going to be six entries! I have a story half finished - but then mental health knocked me back a week, and then physical health decided that it was its turn, and then....yeah, I decided I wasn't going to finish, and no point in stressing about it. Hopefully this month! (and may either finish my story later, or chop bits off and polish it and post it as a little 500-worder).

And now I'm going to go and reread all the other entries and vote.
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be lighted - Plutarch

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

Offline LeifGSNotae

• Coreling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 01:26:32 PM »
It was going to be six entries! I have a story half finished - but then mental health knocked me back a week, and then physical health decided that it was its turn, and then....yeah, I decided I wasn't going to finish, and no point in stressing about it. Hopefully this month! (and may either finish my story later, or chop bits off and polish it and post it as a little 500-worder).

And now I'm going to go and reread all the other entries and vote.

It happens, health is more important than anything. If you aren't healthy, you can't write; right?

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »
Yeah I think a lot of people were working on their short stories for the anthology contest too.  Hopefully we'll get more entries this month. :)

Offline LeifGSNotae

• Coreling
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 03:02:36 AM »
It is a good thing I thought ahead and wrote my anthology submission without even know it was intended for the anthology submission... lol

I am actually curious, for those who vote, what made you vote the way you did? You don't have to give specifics for the stories, I don't want to ruin a good thing. Was there something intriguing about the story that you felt connected with you? Is there more under what you read? Perhaps they used a word you liked...

I haven't a clue on what people think or like, since it is up to the reader. I am sure there might be some future contestants who would enjoy knowing they can at least see what people vote for and it isn't some popularity contest.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 03:07:26 AM by LeiffyV »

Offline AshKB

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 11:44:35 AM »
I look for a number of things - technical skill, the ability to show rather than tell, accessibility (this is probably not fair, but I have a harder time reading the stories that don't have spaces between the paragraphs, so I'm less likely to really enjoy the story), originality, and that mysterious something that makes me like a story.

Also, if a story doesn't wake up my inner editor, that's also something I look for. It's a trifle distracting reading something with the desire to cross things out and make suggestions in red ;)

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

Offline LeifGSNotae

• Coreling
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
Good point, there are many times I go through and pick apart stuff as I read it. Sometimes it is very tough to get past that, but it just means there is a passion for writing.

So does the formatting matter to anyone else? I know I am always leery on blocks of text.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 01:42:42 PM »
Good point, there are many times I go through and pick apart stuff as I read it. Sometimes it is very tough to get past that, but it just means there is a passion for writing.

So does the formatting matter to anyone else? I know I am always leery on blocks of text.

I definitely like it if an author uses the proper spacing between paragraphs, but that's mostly because if one of the block-o-text pieces win, I have to reformat it before I can repost it. ;)

Offline Nestat

• Terry Goodkind's Biggest Fan
  • Ambient Mage
  • The world needs more ginger heroes!
    • View Profile
    • nothingtree.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 03:28:26 PM »
It happens, health is more important than anything. If you aren't healthy, you can't write; right?

*ahem* I believe the correct phrasing is:

Prince Humperdinck: Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.

Count Rugen: Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. They have not forgotten this." - Terry Pratchett

Offline AshKB

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 08:22:39 PM »

*ahem* I believe the correct phrasing is:

Prince Humperdinck: Tyrone, you know how much I love watching you work, but I've got my country's 500th anniversary to plan, my wedding to arrange, my wife to murder and Guilder to frame for it; I'm swamped.

Count Rugen: Get some rest. If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.

:P I've got plenty other things, thank you. (I know this is said in jest, but a number of things I have are chronic, soooo...) Still, reminds me I need to watch that movie sometime soon.

Offline psuppak

• Builder
  • A smile a day keeps evil thoughts away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 03:59:39 PM »
Funny, the discussion of sleep and health reminds me of a poem a friend of mine wrote.

"Nights upon nights, Days after days,
The thread of time keeps spinning away
May the morning dew rest upon our eyes
For we can indulge on slumber the day we die...
The meaning of life? Our stipends
Hail!! Hail to grad students!!"
If you have not, smile.

Offline wishywash27

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 12:21:06 AM »
I can't help but notice spelling errors in other people's work, awkward phrasing, and inconsistencies. I read my own stuff a million times, backwards, out loud with expressions (my dog thinks I'm nuts!), etc. but I'm sure something may still slip through on occasion. I HOPE nothing did this time!! It's challenging, that's for sure. I find it hard to take any notice whatsoever on content if previously mentioned things are askew. That being said, I'm sure there are things about my work some may have complaints about, so I try to control my ego ;)

My biggest challenge as a writer is using proper tense. As a student, I was constantly getting the red pen with comments like "WHEN are we NOW, Rebecca?!" I wish I had someone with a red laser pointer to stand behind me as I type and go, "There. And there. Over here, fix this." It would save time in the end. Enough rambling. I love these contests. I'm looking forward to reading only next month as I am focusing on my anthology contribution, so hope to see lots of entries for March~