September 15, 2019, 07:34:44 PM

Author Topic: [Dec 2018] - Unwanted Gifts - Discussion Thread  (Read 3505 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Dec 2018] - Unwanted Gifts - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 01:14:00 AM »
I'm sorry but I got quite depressed, so I haven't written my story down enough to make this viable. It was a pretty twisted story though, so no loss I guess.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 05:46:28 AM »
I'm sorry but I got quite depressed, so I haven't written my story down enough to make this viable. It was a pretty twisted story though, so no loss I guess.

Spoiler for Hiden:

@Nora stretched in her bed, lost in the ecstasy of a long satisfying yawn.

The holidays and their relentless demands were finally over, and she could take a rest. The demanding customers, cold weather, and long hours were but a distant echo remembered faintly by her well rested feet.

After a gentle knock, her door cracked open. Nora frowned in confusion.

"Xiagan, what are you doing in my house?"

Xia slipped into the bedroom wearing a three piece suit and a monocle. He was carrying a tray?

Nora quickly forgot her confusion as the smell of something fresh wafted through the air.  "Did you... make me breakfast in bed?"

"It's something even better." Setting the tray over her in bed Xia smiled. The tray held no food, only a piece of parchment, folded into a tent on a silver platter. She picked it up, savoring the texture of parchment on her fingers. As she unfolded it, she noted the alluring smell of fresh ink and the beauty of perfect calligraphy.

"Air," it read.

Nora smiled.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:48:39 AM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline Jenny HJ

• Coreling
  • Ent Provider to the horticulturally deprived.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 07:43:35 AM »
I just haven’t managed the head space to do this this month. I couldn’t get a firm idea settled to start writing. Or when I did it related to the unwanted gifts we had this Christmas...

It’s been a bit of a messy Christmas holiday quite literally with plumbing problems and a car related incident. I’ll sit and enjoy all your contributions instead.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 08:32:28 AM »

Spoiler for Hiden:

@Nora stretched in her bed, lost in the ecstasy of a long satisfying yawn.

The holidays and their relentless demands were finally over, and she could take a rest. The demanding customers, cold weather, and long hours were but a distant echo remembered faintly by her well rested feet.

After a gentle knock, her door cracked open. Nora frowned in confusion.

"Xiagan, what are you doing in my house?"

Xia slipped into the bedroom wearing a three piece suit and a monocle. He was carrying a tray?

Nora quickly forgot her confusion as the smell of something fresh wafted through the air.  "Did you... make me breakfast in bed?"

"It's something even better." Setting the tray over her in bed Xia smiled. The tray held no food, only a piece of parchment, folded into a tent on a silver platter. She picked it up, savoring the texture of parchment on her fingers. As she unfolded it, she noted the alluring smell of fresh ink and the beauty of perfect calligraphy.

"Air," it read.

Nora smiled.

I LOVE this, JR :D :D

I'll lock the thread now, then - we still got 7, so not so bad.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 01:43:32 PM »
It's a pity liking is no longer possible in the contest. I would've made extra accounts to like your post, Bradley. :D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 05:29:45 PM »
Sadly not an accurate depiction of my feelings regarding writing at the moment, and no inspiration regarding air so far, but it's nice to live parallel lives that seem this comfy.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 11:14:24 PM »
Nora PM me if you wanna brainstorm partner

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 09:24:15 AM »
No it's ok. I don't need a brainstorm, I don't necessarily struggle with coming up with ideas, I struggle with getting the motivation to bother writing them.

Offline ShadowKnight

• Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2019, 10:16:49 PM »
The stupidest thing happened to me for this month's story.

I finished writing it a week before the deadline, but I wanted to wait until the end of the month to have one final read-through and do some last-minute revision.
In the meantime I left for the holidays. I was already far away when I realized that I couldn't access my story file as it was only stored locally on my home computer. :'(

I'll still submit it when I get back (on the 13th January) but it won't be eligible for the contest.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2019, 11:00:11 PM »
@ShadowKnight  I often write stories and have one thing or another make me ineligible (off topic, word count, finished too late)  In fact, that probably happens about half the time-- as often as I actually submit!

I usually just paste them in the discussion thread.  I think I'm the only one that ever does this tho :)  If you decide to post yours, welcome to the aborted story club!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ShadowKnight

• Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2019, 08:35:41 AM »
Thanks @J.R. Darewood. I feel better in the knowledge that I'm not the only one. :)

Offline Slaykomimi

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2019, 08:50:44 AM »
I was very absent the last weeks but still noticed that we got no critique thread for november, also none for december. As always I would be very welcome to critique and I am sure there are others who would love some too.
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2019, 07:45:29 PM »
I was very absent the last weeks but still noticed that we got no critique thread for november, also none for december. As always I would be very welcome to critique and I am sure there are others who would love some too.
Everybody is free to open one. Just copy the text from an existing one and ask for critique. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)