October 16, 2019, 05:54:05 AM

Author Topic: [Dec 2018] - Unwanted Gifts - Discussion Thread  (Read 3854 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
[Dec 2018] - Unwanted Gifts - Discussion Thread
« on: November 30, 2018, 12:27:47 PM »
Unwanted Gifts

German stamp depicting newborn Cinderella receiving her curse.

This month you'll be busy getting your loved ones presents they appreciate and in turn you hope to be surprised by an unexpected but fitting gift, you hope to get something you need or want or something that shows appreciation.

We want neither of that.

Our focus this month is on the other kind of gifts. Those that aren't wanted or appreciated, that aren't as nice as one thinks. Snow White's apple for example. Our fairy tales are full of those darker gifts and we find them in mythology and fantasy too. Have fun with my ring, Frodo.

There are lots of possibilities concerning the POV, the type of gift, the intention of the giver... Have fun!

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. The story has to be about an unwanted gift.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-750 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys under the B.
Bonus rule: We consider voting in a contest you're taking part in a given. Others take time and effort to read the stories - you should do the same. A small community like ours lives from reciprocity and this contest needs stories as much as votes. 

If you want so submit your story anonymously you can do so by sending it in a personal message to @xiagan.

Entry will close December 31st, 2018/January 1st, 2019 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.
Submitting a story counts as published. The author retains all rights to their work.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
Re: [Dec 2018] - Unwanted Gifts - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 05:32:47 PM »
I missed this going up.

Unwanted Gifts, eh? Nothing immediately springs to mind, but hopefully it will soon and I can get my story in a little earlier than last month.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 05:48:40 PM »
Wow. This month wrote itself.

I had a crazy idea on the way to work, something totally unrelated to any story I was working on. When I mentioned it to Mrs. JMack last night at dinner, she said, "What if someone gave that as a gift?" And there it was: December's story.

What a relief to be done early.  :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:03:25 PM by JMack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 07:44:36 PM »
We seem to have entries on the first couple of days of the month and the very last - hardly any in the middle, I wonder why hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Jenny HJ

• Coreling
  • Ent Provider to the horticulturally deprived.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 08:02:55 PM »
Well, I know in my case it’s a break from my WIP.  But I am behind my target monthly word quota for November... so until I catch up i’ll be aiming for the end of month team in December, I need to hit my self imposed deadline😂

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 09:58:03 PM »
Honestly not sure I'll even try this month. I'm so dead each day after work. It's mind numbing and back breaking, and my story ideas are pretty shit and rusty.
December is not a good month. Less free time than usual. I'll try but no promises. I don't have a single idea so far either.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 02:50:11 PM »
Honestly not sure I'll even try this month. I'm so dead each day after work. It's mind numbing and back breaking, and my story ideas are pretty shit and rusty.
December is not a good month. Less free time than usual. I'll try but no promises. I don't have a single idea so far either.

Nora, it sounds like you need someone to rub your shoulders and have dinner ready for you when you get home!  But that would be "wanted gifts" instead of this months topic, wouldn't it?

ooooh I just had an unwanted gifts story idea but it's not fantasy.

Spoiler for Hiden:

The Christmas Surprise

Ryan lit the scented candles as he re-heated the sub sandwiches he had bought this afternoon in the microwave. However rough his day might be, hers was worse.

The microwave signaled the completion of it's labor with a pleasant ding, just as the door opened. Mandy staggered in: a perfectly manicured appearance with eyes that were half open, and legs that didn't seem to want to walk anymore.  She tossed her overcoat in the general direction of the chair, missing, as she walked lifelessly to the table.

"God I hate December," she said as she collapsed into the chair. Her eyes slowly registered the candles and he perfectly set table. "What the hell is all this."

Ryan slid the sandwich out of the microwave, presenting it to the object of his affection with a flourish. "Dinner is served, madame."

A weak smile spread on her face, and before she knew hit, Ryan began kneading her shoulders. Had he seriously stashed massage oil in the kitchen? It was hard to complain.  Or eat.  It felt damn good. Finally she picked up the sandwich and before she knew it she had devoured it.

"This is perfect.  You know, for those cravings."

"You must get hungry working on your feet all day."

"Yeah, especially with the extra weight."

"Extra weight? Baby you look amazing--"

"No, I mean I'm not showing yet but still."

"You look perfect to me."

"I mean the baby's not that heavy yet but--"

Ryan's hand stopped kneading her shoulders and his jaw went slack. "The... baby."

"Ummm, yeah... I didn't tell you about that?"

"Uh, no."

"Well... there's a baby."

"But we haven't had sex..."

"You haven't had sex."

"You've had sex?"

"Um... not with you..."

That's all that popped into my head at the moment...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 05:49:17 AM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 03:06:44 PM »

Nora, it sounds like you need someone to rub your shoulders and have dinner ready for you when you get home!  But that would be "wanted gifts" instead of this months topic, wouldn't it?

ooooh I just had a story idea but it's not fantasy.
;D ;D

And yay @Cell18 , a new person in the forum and the stories! Welcome :D

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 04:12:51 PM »
@J.R. Darewood, that's hysterical. :D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ShadowKnight

• Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 12:10:09 PM »

And yay @Cell18 , a new person in the forum and the stories! Welcome :D

Welcome to the forum @Cell18!

I've just finished my story for this month. I'll probably wait a few more days before posting it though - an extra read can't hurt (well most of the time at least). Plus I have to trim it as it's currently a hundred words too long.  :-\

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2018, 02:09:53 AM »
C’mon! I know it’s the holidays, but 2 stories?
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Jenny HJ

• Coreling
  • Ent Provider to the horticulturally deprived.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 04:09:47 PM »
We’ve had a fairly tricky holiday so far😂😂 So writing has suffered in general. If I get my target words done  (5k left) elsewhere, I might do a last ditch attempt on New Year’s Eve as I am home ‘protecting’ my dog against the normal barrage of midnight fireworks.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2018, 07:30:16 PM »
I work in book retail. My month has been mental. I literally had 2 days off for Xmas and I spent them relaxing. I have a story in mind, but I'm working late shifts now right up until my next day's off 31st and 1st.... so if we stay open the 1st, and I'm able to write a story in two days.... it'll be hard.
It's just the long hours of nonstop running around and talking to people after people. It sucked the motivation to do anything out of me.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »
Well, you'll have the 1st for sure, and maybe an extra day :)

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »
Wahey, got in again. I had the idea early on, but haven't had much time for writing this month. regardless, hope you all enjoy.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex