Of Heart & Hoard - NightWrite
5 (7.9%)
A Fitting - Crystallynnfairy
1 (1.6%)
The Dragon and the Lamb - Lanko
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: February 01, 2017, 10:29:45 AM

Author Topic: [DEC 2016] - Dragons! - Voting Thread  (Read 27448 times)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
Re: [DEC 2016] - Dragons! - Voting Thread
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2017, 08:33:40 PM »
Also, as a nuclear plant supervisor, I thought the parallel was extremely well done, though you did miss a change in the dragon's name near the end (It was Chenya vice Cherna.  I'm assuming Cherna was to draw a closer link to the Chernobyl accident).
What plant do you work at @gennerik ?
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline gennerik

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2017, 08:55:46 PM »
Also, as a nuclear plant supervisor, I thought the parallel was extremely well done, though you did miss a change in the dragon's name near the end (It was Chenya vice Cherna.  I'm assuming Cherna was to draw a closer link to the Chernobyl accident).
What plant do you work at @gennerik ?

Sorry, not a civilian plant.  I'm a US Navy Nuclear Submarine Officer.  So, the plants are much smaller, but the principles are the same.
Author of Lamentation's Peak
Part-time Dreamer / Full-time Speaker

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2017, 09:09:38 PM »
Sorry, not a civilian plant.  I'm a US Navy Nuclear Submarine Officer.  So, the plants are much smaller, but the principles are the same.
Ah, yes. In a previous life I worked with many of you guys in a variety of interesting ways. My real father, whom I did not know well, designed the piping systems for many of the plants in the western states in the 70s, and helped establish some of the heightened quality control processes that set the industry apart from other piping-intensive industries, like water & sewer. The failure of a bolt in one setting is one thing; in the other setting, something far more dire.

There's a former Nuc Commander turned-inspirational/leadership seminar speaker whose take on leadership is innovative and thought-provoking, but his name escapes me.

ETA: David Marquet. Love this video! Perhaps you're familiar with him and his talk:
Spoiler for Hiden:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psAXMqxwol8[/youtube]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:11:37 PM by The Gem Cutter »
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline gennerik

« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2017, 12:13:11 AM »

My first thought at you working with us in a variety of interesting ways would be you were a Navy Seal?

And that's a very true observation. In nuclear power, tolerance from perfection it's very small, be it size, shape, or material.

Not familiar with the video. Started to watch it, but my kids decided otherwise. I'll have to watch it after they go to bed, but thanks for sharing.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2017, 12:25:47 AM »
No, I was a lowly linguist, although I worked in specops (as you Navy folks call it) and encountered SEALs from time to time. I did almost make it through Army Combat Diver training, but found my instincts to not drown were too strong. There is a small number of sailors who do what I did, smaller than the 150 or so in the Army, but there's always been a close relationship between special operations, submariners, and other less cool endeavors, like mine.

I hope your career progresses well, and safely. Putting a nuclear reactor in a boat that deliberately sinks and operates in absolute darkness for months at a time - well, going to the moon was literally easier, simpler, and safer.

I do always love to use nuclear subs as an example of the inevitable stupidity inherent in all people, and multiplied when they gather in groups, the example being that the number one cause of fires on nuclear submarines remains:
Spoiler for Hiden:
drier lint

And people wonder why I am fascinated with irony  ;D
The Gem Cutter

Offline gennerik

« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2017, 01:24:04 AM »
Thanks, Gem Cutter! I also hope for safety. I can see the linguist interactions as well. There's a lot of times they come in handy.

That is true about the moon, too. The pressures that we operate at are much more difficult to deal with than space, though the return from the moon is still pretty rough, and they do operate a little faster than a sub does.

I also knew the answer to your question, though I've only encountered a dryer lint fire once. Another was a pen stuck in the dryer, then I've had one at sea equipment fire, and one while in port. But fire on a submarine is incredibly scary, no matter what the source.

Offline LightRunner

« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2017, 02:49:21 AM »
@Jmack  I write a few notes after I read each story to help remember my experience when it comes to voting and critiquing. The only thing I wrote after yours was "Creepy." Well done.

I voted for @Bradley Darewood (I really liked the concept and setting), @Nora (Your opening line was fantastic and set up the character really well), @tebakutis (I liked the concept and Sekia's horror), and @m3mnoch (Great writing and twist)

Again, there were lots of other worthy stories this month - these were just the ones that ended up getting my vote on that day.

Also, thanks to @tebakutis and @TOMunro for the votes!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2017, 03:02:48 AM »
My comment was brief last night because I had to wake up to see the result, so will expand on where my votes went after a lot of hard decision making about my favourite fantasy creatures. Many entries kept near the accepted themes, of hoards/ usual physiology/sacrifice to appease, but I appreciated the variations on those themes as well as other treatments. Excellent month from my pov, sincere thanks and congratulations to everyone.

@Lanko I loved every part of the story concept and the portrayal of your dragon, while being eaten up with personal envy. I have been struggling with a story around immeasurably large Space Dragons ever since the Monstrous Beasts month and tried again this month, still couldn't get it together. Now you have done it for me perfectly, a splendid all powerful dragon, together with a clever plot twist, and got my vote instantly. I hope one day Kalgarath appears again. Congratulations. ;D ;D

@Jmack, you got a vote from me for excellent fable style and even more for creating Lo, a bad tempered, long suffering, stubborn, snarky fishwife. She was brilliant. ;D

@Bradley Darewood Gladly voted for modern time, desert setting  and build up to new treatment of sacrifice with clever unexpected twist. :D

@NightWrite, that heart wrenching story of true reasons for dragons' hoards, love it when dragons get a little sympathy for a change and that was a different approach. Liked the unusual narrator and the journal entry style  so altogether pleased to give it my vote. ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:08:41 AM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2017, 03:48:09 AM »
Hey so question for @xiagan (and others who want to chime in). When I announce the winner on the FF-Contest Twitter, it's tempting to also post a link to their story in the submission thread, so people can go read it if they wish. However, I know we also post the story on the main FF site after a set period of time, and I wonder if posting the thread version to the Twitter thread would "steal the story's thunder", so to speak.

I dunno! What do you guys think?

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2017, 04:04:24 AM »
Hey so question for @xiagan (and others who want to chime in). When I announce the winner on the FF-Contest Twitter, it's tempting to also post a link to their story in the submission thread, so people can go read it if they wish. However, I know we also post the story on the main FF site after a set period of time, and I wonder if posting the thread version to the Twitter thread would "steal the story's thunder", so to speak.

I dunno! What do you guys think?

Do they still post to the main site? I haven't seen one up there since I joined FF, and the last featured story was what actually got me onto these forums in the first place.

But even if they do, I still think making the winning story as available as often as possible and to the widest audience possible can only be seen in a positive light.
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2017, 04:39:47 AM »
They don't seem to be on the main site very regularly but they are there. I assume it is xiagan who organises that. But suspect main site and Twitter are rarely same audience, so it seems good to let it out on both.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2017, 05:41:06 AM »
Congratulations Jmack!

And thank you for those who liked Anne's Words  ;D

Don't be the black sheep.

Who did you vote for?  ::)

Very well, if you must know, I voted for @Crystallynnfairy 's "A Fitting" because, in a departure from my usual, technical appreciations, I thought it had a very fragile, feminine mood to it that I found stirring. I broke my decision to only pick one, because @Rukaio_Alter 's story got to me. I am normally very straight-laced and prefer stories played straight. But, despite myself, he made me laugh, and I thought if he can make even stodgy old me grin with a tongue-in-cheek approach, that was worth a vote.
The Gem Cutter

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2017, 07:09:40 AM »
My comment was brief last night because I had to wake up to see the result, so will expand on where my votes went after a lot of hard decision making about my favourite fantasy creatures. Many entries kept near the accepted themes, of hoards/ usual physiology/sacrifice to appease, but I appreciated the variations on those themes as well as other treatments. Excellent month from my pov, sincere thanks and congratulations to everyone.

@Lanko I loved every part of the story concept and the portrayal of your dragon, while being eaten up with personal envy. I have been struggling with a story around immeasurably large Space Dragons ever since the Monstrous Beasts month and tried again this month, still couldn't get it together. Now you have done it for me perfectly, a splendid all powerful dragon, together with a clever plot twist, and got my vote instantly. I hope one day Kalgarath appears again. Congratulations. ;D ;D

@Jmack, you got a vote from me for excellent fable style and even more for creating Lo, a bad tempered, long suffering, stubborn, snarky fishwife. She was brilliant. ;D

@Bradley Darewood Gladly voted for modern time, desert setting  and build up to new treatment of sacrifice with clever unexpected twist. :D

@NightWrite, that heart wrenching story of true reasons for dragons' hoards, love it when dragons get a little sympathy for a change and that was a different approach. Liked the unusual narrator and the journal entry style  so altogether pleased to give it my vote. ;D

Quick somebody check if lady Ty Head space is okay worried that she voted nearly the same way as Nora don't won't her turning into a person with a taste for flesh ;-)

Mind you lady Ty also has 3/4 with me too....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:48:00 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 02, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »
Just shows Nora and I sometimes enjoy similar reading taste, but not always.I'll try not to nibble on human snacks but having some in common with you does that mean I'm going to get some bike exercise soon? ;D  ;D
Good to see you around again, missed the cheek ;)
Noticed you started on Marcus Didius Falco, good move, if you enjoy that series we definitely have one big Like in common.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2017, 09:53:57 AM »
Hey!! Why is everyone calling me a cannibal? Yall realise that Hanni's moto is to, when possible, eat the rude?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty