Of Heart & Hoard - NightWrite
5 (7.9%)
A Fitting - Crystallynnfairy
1 (1.6%)
The Dragon and the Lamb - Lanko
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: February 01, 2017, 10:29:45 AM

Author Topic: [DEC 2016] - Dragons! - Voting Thread  (Read 27477 times)

Offline m3mnoch

Re: [DEC 2016] - Dragons! - Voting Thread
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2017, 03:15:18 PM »
Voted for @Jmack @NightWrite @m3mnoch and @Lanko

Did everyone vote for Jmack?

heh.  it only feels that way.  of 18 people, he got 9 votes.  1/2 of the folks voting for a single story is pretty darn good.  especially with our wild and varied tastes around these parts.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2017, 03:23:57 PM »
I think this is the first time I've seen tebakutis reveal his votes  ::)

You're not wrong!

For a long while I was hesitant to reveal my picks because I didn't want to seem like I was saying the stories I didn't vote for weren't good (since they were!) But given the high level of quality we now consistently have in our contests, I've gotten over that, and I think I've been clear that I've enjoyed everyone's stories, so I worry less about that.

Just because I didn't vote for a particular story doesn't mean I didn't think it was great ... it just means another story edged it out for a subjective reason.

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2017, 03:42:42 PM »
What I like about the reveal is who voted similar to you.

Apparently its Nora for this month 3/4 she copied my votes ;-)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2017, 04:06:13 PM »
Congratulations Jmack!

And thank you for those who liked Anne's Words  ;D
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2017, 04:12:04 PM »
Congratulations Jmack!

And thank you for those who liked Anne's Words  ;D

Don't be the black sheep.

Who did you vote for?  ::)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2017, 04:30:26 PM »
What I like about the reveal is who voted similar to you.

Apparently its Nora for this month 3/4 she copied my votes ;-)

Great minds think alike, and all that...
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2017, 04:49:09 PM »
I didn't want to seem like I was saying the stories I didn't vote for weren't good (since they were!) But given the high level of quality we now consistently have in our contests, I've gotten over that, and I think I've been clear that I've enjoyed everyone's stories, so I worry less about that.

Just because I didn't vote for a particular story doesn't mean I didn't think it was great ... it just means another story edged it out for a subjective reason.
This, definitely!
Every single month I have lots of trouble choosing just the max number of votes, there are usually so many stories I like! Well done, all :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline gennerik

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2017, 05:31:29 PM »
I ended up voting for Jmack, because I thought your story evinced that fable-y feel, or perhaps some eastern-influenced wisdom story.  But it was beautifully written, so well done.

I also voted for Tebakutis, because I enjoyed the story, and I wanted to pick one of the stories where the dragon kept away greater threats.  It was a tough choice, though, but in the end you won out on your dragons' names.

I also included Roelor, because I loved that it took place in modern day, but the dragon thought in terms it already knew (jets being birds, etc).  Well done!

And finally, though it was probably my favorite story, was TOMunro.  I thought your dragon enjoyed the might and majesty that such a creature should enjoy.  Also, as a nuclear plant supervisor, I thought the parallel was extremely well done, though you did miss a change in the dragon's name near the end (It was Chenya vice Cherna.  I'm assuming Cherna was to draw a closer link to the Chernobyl accident).
Author of Lamentation's Peak
Part-time Dreamer / Full-time Speaker

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2017, 05:32:48 PM »
Don't be the black sheep.

Who did you vote for?  ::)
I'm not being a black sheep - I'm cultivating an air of mystery  8)
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Online Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2017, 05:52:14 PM »
Looks like I was on trend with most of my votes. I went with @The Gem Cutter, the anonymous poem, @Jmack and @Bradley Darewood.

It was @Bradley Darewood who stood out for me in particular. I really like the style of this one.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2017, 06:35:42 PM »
Looks like I was on trend with most of my votes. I went with @The Gem Cutter, the anonymous poem, @Jmack and @Bradley Darewood.

It was @Bradley Darewood who stood out for me in particular. I really like the style of this one.

Thanks @Alex Hormann !!

Offline TOMunro

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2017, 07:24:14 PM »
congratulations to @Jmack, I did enjoy the twist at the end of your tale, though I guess I shoudl have seen it coming since it was about a fishwife. 

I thought it was a very high quality month with a lot of stories in contention for votes.

In the end mine went to
@Roelor I loved the mixing of the fantastic and the modern - it could almost have been an urban fantasy entry with the dragon descending on the football stadium/music concert
@tebakutis I liked the idea of a dragon protecting the village from a greater peril and thought this was well executed.
@LightRunner The dragon sourced paste to protect the witch from flames was a lovely little plot point, subtly foreshadowed that appealed to me.   
@m3mnoch this was another dragon protecting from a greater evil - so I was being less diverse in my votes maybe, but the humorous dialogue gave this a more lighthearted angle on a similar theme to Tebakutis

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2017, 07:37:19 PM »
I thought @TOMunro's story stood above the rest this month, and I truly had issues picking from the rest of the greatness out there that I just cast the one vote this month!

Edit: Can't believe I forgot to congratulate @Jmack! Awesome story man, well deserved :)
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2017, 07:39:50 PM »
I thought @TOMunro's story stood above the rest this month, and I truly had issues picking from the rest of the greatness out there that I just cast the one vote this month!

Edit: Can't believe I forgot to congratulate @Jmack! Awesome story man, well deserved :)

Thanks, LOTW.
And I think it's classy to pick just one when it stands out so much for you.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline TOMunro

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2017, 07:54:06 PM »

Also, as a nuclear plant supervisor, I thought the parallel was extremely well done, though you did miss a change in the dragon's name near the end (It was Chenya vice Cherna.  I'm assuming Cherna was to draw a closer link to the Chernobyl accident).

@gennerik wow - what are the chances of my story being read by a nuclear power plant supervisor!

I'm glad you spotted the parallels - I had so much fun with the world building in this one and the references to real world nuclear disasters.   Chernobyl obviously - with the premise of a foolish experiment that went disasterously wrong.  And a re-imagined control-rod fail safe.

Thank you also to all those who picked "Tickling the Dragon's Tale" in what was a very competitive month (as they all seem to be these days).

The title came from Feynman's description of some dodgy experiments at Los Alamos where scientists teased a nuclear core towards the point of super-critical flash over an experimental practice which killed two scientists Louis Slotin and Harry Daghlian in two separate accidents.

And the idea that dragon blood could be radioactive and dragon fire was actually an induced supercritical flashover. 

Yes I did enjoy that.  The first story was going to be about Alpha the brood mother, but I had to rethink as it expanded way beyond the word count.