Of Heart & Hoard - NightWrite
5 (7.9%)
A Fitting - Crystallynnfairy
1 (1.6%)
The Dragon and the Lamb - Lanko
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: February 01, 2017, 10:29:45 AM

Author Topic: [DEC 2016] - Dragons! - Voting Thread  (Read 22792 times)

Offline m3mnoch

Re: [DEC 2016] - Dragons! - Voting Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2017, 12:45:43 AM »
Yeah, almost all talked or used telepathy (including mine). Many included knights. Many were fire-breathing... I tried to go wide in my references (coatl, ryu, long)... but we're definitely all thinking of good old western dragons in need of slaying or harnessing. I guess Jmack is the one who went farthest with a dragon divinity. Oh, and Bradley as well.
Hey, I'll have you know mine used Superheated Air breath!

But yeah, I get where you're coming from. It was kinda telling that my first (and final) idea for this month was a story parodying how common those sorts of Western dragons are.

Which made you totally aware of these issues, but not escaping them :p

yah.  totes.

mine, specifically, was a choice.  as a goal, i wanted to do a more character-flop thing, so i leaned heavy on tropes to conserve word count for the lengthier character stuff.

/shrug

trade-offs, ya know?

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2017, 02:37:32 AM »
Voted, and damn. Those stories were awesome. Well done, everyone.

Once again, my choices were based on the subjective appeal of the content, rather than the quality, because the quality was top-notch. This theme inspired so many cool ideas, I'm jealous I didn't come up with them.

Looking forward to seeing the results!

I'm not exceedingly impressed with this month, to be honest. Not so much about quality, but about the dragon cliche that is strong enough to make us all write something sooort of samey-samey. Which is what I adored in A Natural History of Dragons, in which they're like big cats or apes, studied by a woman in a time in which women wear dresses and pump out children. They're a backdrop that drive everything, and when they come, you feel as excited as your naturalist MC. I think we all more or less stuck to more traditional western fantasy dragons.
Not that it's bad, really, but it feels like we have more diversity in other months. I think it's due to the 'object' of the theme being restrictive to a cliche creature.

I love the stories I voted for, and it was a strong month, but I really dislike mine now. Even with my weak attempt at a happy ending, I wrote this while in a really shitty month in a really dark mood. Re-reading myself is horrible!  ;D So I guess it also influences my wish to soon go on and read the cool UF stories.

I feel you Nora.  When I first wrote mine I *HATED* it, and I usually have an over-inflated ego so that's rare.  I definitely liked my corpse story 10,000 times better than what I was able to come up with this month (haha when I wrote the corpse story, I definitely felt pumped), but i chalk it up to the holidays just being shitty cliche time of year, the theme was good :)

I think yours would have been better if
Spoiler for Hiden:
the dragon ate your MC, as I assumed when I first read it. But i'm an awful awful human being.

PS-- we are total opposites. For me: UF= groooosssss (unless I'm playing shadowrun).  Vampires= uggggggghhhh trite (so long as no one knows I secretly watched an episode of TVD) Epic fantasy=Yaaaayyyyyyy!!!!!!   I guess between the two of us we can keep opposite ends of the genre afloat with readership :)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2017, 10:12:34 AM »
Last minute vote.
I should be working but I had to finish reading the stories!
I really focused on prose and originality this time.
Some really excellent stories.  :)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline gennerik

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2017, 11:10:21 AM »
Congratulations, Jmack! Looks like that last-minute vote probably mattered.
Author of Lamentation's Peak
Part-time Dreamer / Full-time Speaker

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2017, 11:20:46 AM »
Congratulations   Jmack, so pleased, knew that was a winner  ;)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2017, 11:27:53 AM »
Congratulations, Jmack! Looks like that last-minute vote probably mattered.

Well, I didn't vote for myself  ;D. Honest.
But I did vote for four great stories by @TOMunro, @The Gem Cutter, @Bradley Darewood, and @Nora. Each had cool, original concepts and prose I admired.

A special call-out from me to Nora, who gave me feedback on my story and was spot on with every comment. I shamelessly used her advice.

And to @Osahon. I liked so much about the story, but it read for me more like a character study than a plot.
And to @Rukaio_Alter, who never disappoints.
And to.... I could keep going.

Thanks for the votes! So excited for the fun of winning and writing this month.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2017, 11:59:22 AM »
Ayy!! Congrats @Jmack, I know you deserve it, I think you'd have gotten there with the original story anyway, the differences aren't that great, mostly I'm glad you chose to go with this one. The other was cool but too convoluted and less self contained.

I voted for you, and @Bradley Darewood ! – In the beginning I thought 'wow, risky, going for the arab kidnapper angle.' and the more I read it, the better it got. The description of the pollution was awesome, so is the final choice. The only thing that could make it better would have been to drop a line or two explaining why the dragon's rain would have been beneficial (because if I think of it, water mostly goes down in wells, and wells are polluted, right?). Beyond that, great work, and nothing to feel bad about!
In retrospect, you're totally right, I should have made the Ouroboros eat my character. I think I was too mired in my shit mood and tried for something happy, even if it didn't work. *shrug*

Also voted for @m3mnoch, because your story was pretty boringly cliche untiiiiiil, ayyyy, awesome! I swear there is another story like yours before in the list (I tend to read in order), that had the exact same plot course, right until the curse is revealed. Since it was well written, the fresh twist was worth the vote  ;)

And my last was @NightWrite. Liked the scientific approach and the cliche bending. Lovely idea, very well executed in few words. Fan!

Special mention to @Osahon, who pretty much came in fifth on my list. Good idea. Could have been explored a little bit better, I guess, because the hints of the cross breed were a bit light and late in the tale, to appreciate it fully. Could make a great longer story, something like a 5k short in a crucial moment of the life of this little buddy?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2017, 12:17:02 PM »
Congrats, @Jmack!

My votes went for you, Bradley, NightWrite and Gem Cutter.

Do we have three emperors now?
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »
Tbh @Jmack yours was my fav story this round!  I voted for yours, @tebakutis (loved the snow thing), and @The Gem Cutter  (cute idea)

Aweeee thanks @Nora !  I felt called to do a climate change story w/ all the BS going on in DC.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:29:07 PM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline Roelor

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2017, 02:10:39 PM »
GZ @Jmack !

I voted for @The Gem Cutter @Anonymous @TOMunro @Rukaio_Alter
I even got two votes. Yay

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2017, 02:39:05 PM »
Yay @Jmack! :D :D
I voted for you, hehe

My other votes went to @m3mnoch, @TOMunro and @Rukaio_Alter, but I could highlight others that I also really enjoyed :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 02:45:42 PM »
Hot damn! Congrats, @Jmack!

I want to bring your story back to life ... SO I CAN KILL IT AGAIN. Mwuhahaha...

BTW, since everyone else is doing it, I voted for @The Gem Cutter (loved Anne's clever ploy to bribe the dragon), @Bradley Darewood (who actually made a good argument for human sacrifice), @Nora (I know you hated your story, but I thought it was great and actually got a tiny bit choked up when the vet leaves with the dragon) and @LightRunner (loved the witch's clever idea with the fireproof paste and the fact that she goes to go take care of baby dragons .. d'aaaw).

But I really enjoyed the rest of the stories too. Those just happened to be my four subjective favorites.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 02:49:26 PM by tebakutis »

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 02:57:48 PM »
I think this is the first time I've seen tebakutis reveal his votes  ::)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »
woot!

/highfive

congrats @Jmack -- i voted for you!  my streak of picking the winners remains!

i also voted for @TOMunro (steam engines powered by dragon blood ftw!) and @Lanko  (spaaaaaace dragons!) for their original takes on theme.  and, since i only used three of my four, that means there were a BUNCH of stories fighting for that fourth vote.  i just couldn't choose.

good job on the month, guys.  it was super-interesting to read.  is it just me, or are our stories getting really, really good?

i say it all the time, but man, i love this club.

edit:  weird.  i had to edit mine to get lanko's name to pop.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:16:33 PM by m3mnoch »

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2017, 03:13:36 PM »
Voted for @Jmack @NightWrite @m3mnoch and @Lanko

Did everyone vote for Jmack?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate