Of Heart & Hoard - NightWrite
5 (7.9%)
A Fitting - Crystallynnfairy
1 (1.6%)
The Dragon and the Lamb - Lanko
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: February 01, 2017, 10:29:45 AM

Author Topic: [DEC 2016] - Dragons! - Voting Thread  (Read 22657 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
Re: [DEC 2016] - Dragons! - Voting Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »
 It's 3am on a Mon morning, quarterly report is due J31st, but somehow I made voting on FF my first priority...

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
I'll be reading the stories on my flight to London.  8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 12:06:38 PM »
8 stories separated by just 2 points!

Your vote counts 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 03:02:50 PM »
i voted too!

get in there and read, read, read folks!  it's a great batch of stories!

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Chrestomanci
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 03:20:11 PM »
My votes are in. Tough competition, but one really stood out for me this time around.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 03:37:19 PM »
I'm reading today and voting as soon as I'm done with editing and posting my new story.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 03:50:27 PM »
My votes are in. Tough competition, but one really stood out for me this time around.

oh, fun!  i love when a single story pops for folks.  it was a wash of quality for myself, so i'm eager (once voting closes) to hear which one it was.

Offline gennerik

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 06:58:58 PM »
That was rough.  I had six stories that I thoroughly enjoyed (more than that, actually, but I was trying to be selective), and narrowing it down to 4 was painful.  Curse you, limits! *Shakes fist*

All in all, though, an excellent field of narrative combatants.  Well done to all!
Author of Lamentation's Peak
Part-time Dreamer / Full-time Speaker

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 10:04:26 AM »
Voted. Wasn't too bad for me this month.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 08:28:51 PM »
Voted, and damn. Those stories were awesome. Well done, everyone.

Once again, my choices were based on the subjective appeal of the content, rather than the quality, because the quality was top-notch. This theme inspired so many cool ideas, I'm jealous I didn't come up with them.

Looking forward to seeing the results!

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 08:49:55 PM »
Voted, and damn. Those stories were awesome. Well done, everyone.

Once again, my choices were based on the subjective appeal of the content, rather than the quality, because the quality was top-notch. This theme inspired so many cool ideas, I'm jealous I didn't come up with them.

Looking forward to seeing the results!

I'm not exceedingly impressed with this month, to be honest. Not so much about quality, but about the dragon cliche that is strong enough to make us all write something sooort of samey-samey. Which is what I adored in A Natural History of Dragons, in which they're like big cats or apes, studied by a woman in a time in which women wear dresses and pump out children. They're a backdrop that drive everything, and when they come, you feel as excited as your naturalist MC. I think we all more or less stuck to more traditional western fantasy dragons.
Not that it's bad, really, but it feels like we have more diversity in other months. I think it's due to the 'object' of the theme being restrictive to a cliche creature.

I love the stories I voted for, and it was a strong month, but I really dislike mine now. Even with my weak attempt at a happy ending, I wrote this while in a really shitty month in a really dark mood. Re-reading myself is horrible!  ;D So I guess it also influences my wish to soon go on and read the cool UF stories.

Offline LightRunner

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 11:46:03 PM »

Not so much about quality, but about the dragon cliche that is strong enough to make us all write something sooort of samey-samey.

I definitely had the same thought regarding the fact that certain characteristics came up in many of the stories (How many were there where the MC traveled to a dragon's lair?)

Also, I thought it was interesting to see where the similarities between the dragons from different stories were. Which characteristics did different writers see as part of the definition of a dragon and which did they not?

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 11:54:18 PM »

Not so much about quality, but about the dragon cliche that is strong enough to make us all write something sooort of samey-samey.

I definitely had the same thought regarding the fact that certain characteristics came up in many of the stories (How many were there where the MC traveled to a dragon's lair?)

Also, I thought it was interesting to see where the similarities between the dragons from different stories were. Which characteristics did different writers see as part of the definition of a dragon and which did they not?

Yeah, almost all talked or used telepathy (including mine). Many included knights. Many were fire-breathing... I tried to go wide in my references (coatl, ryu, long)... but we're definitely all thinking of good old western dragons in need of slaying or harnessing. I guess Jmack is the one who went farthest with a dragon divinity. Oh, and Bradley as well.

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 12:07:10 AM »
Yeah, almost all talked or used telepathy (including mine). Many included knights. Many were fire-breathing... I tried to go wide in my references (coatl, ryu, long)... but we're definitely all thinking of good old western dragons in need of slaying or harnessing. I guess Jmack is the one who went farthest with a dragon divinity. Oh, and Bradley as well.
Hey, I'll have you know mine used Superheated Air breath!

But yeah, I get where you're coming from. It was kinda telling that my first (and final) idea for this month was a story parodying how common those sorts of Western dragons are.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 12:23:02 AM »
Hey, I'll have you know mine used Superheated Air breath!

But yeah, I get where you're coming from. It was kinda telling that my first (and final) idea for this month was a story parodying how common those sorts of Western dragons are.

Which made you totally aware of these issues, but not escaping them :p