May 28, 2017, 12:06:54 AM

Author Topic: [DEC 2016] - Dragons! - Discussion Thread  (Read 4539 times)

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
Re: [DEC 2016] - Dragons! - Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2016, 06:28:24 AM »
The cheese hoard is fab, very french, but that must be one hell of a smelly dragon.

I already have about 500 words in my story, it's third person past tense so far, for a change. I've even written a joke. I must be sick.

As a sort of ludicrous personal challenge, I'll try to make it so that I write the story with the largest amount of breeds of Dragons mentioned. Haha.

@Lady_Ty you better submit! No excuses this month!!

Edit : Back to first person. Man, you actually save SO MANY WORDS by using "I" instead of the various ways you can call your MC.
Deinitely sick if jokes floating through brain.  Also sounds as though acute Trent Syndrome setting in.
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Offline TOMunro

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 07:16:11 PM »
Oh! I like this one - I've got an idea incubating quite nicely.

a) I've always wondered about the ecology of dragons, like how did Smaug survive dormant and unfed for so many years, and where do they get their fire from and what use do they have for gold.

b) I was fascinated by the phrase "Tickling the Dragon's tail" used by Los Alamos scientists to describe dangerous experiments with nuclear cores - which led to one famous fatal accident.

I wouldn't want to give too many spoilers for where those two thoughts are taking me,  I just hope I can make it fly!

Offline Bender

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2016, 04:07:34 PM »
Does this have to be a new theme? As in can we take a existing fantasy book world and write our own fan submissions? Or maybe an alternate timeline story for an existing book and similar to that? As in just use the existing universe...but for a brand new story.

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2016, 04:29:16 PM »
Does this have to be a new theme? As in can we take a existing fantasy book world and write our own fan submissions? Or maybe an alternate timeline story for an existing book and similar to that? As in just use the existing universe...but for a brand new story.
Hi, it needs to be original.
We have a month (usually February) where we do fanfic, but for the rest of the year it must be wour own worldbuilding.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2016, 06:05:25 PM »
Hi, it needs to be original.
We have a month (usually February) where we do fanfic, but for the rest of the year it must be wour own worldbuilding.
Really? I thought since it wasn't stated in the rules it would be fine. Interesting!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2016, 06:38:19 PM »
@xiagan, big boss, what's the rule?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2016, 07:32:46 PM »
I'd rather hope to keep fanfic at bay in general, as it seems like it pre-digests a lot of the work in a story and essentially makes it harder for those who have to establish their own universe, and riskier for those who want to write in a universe and under-develop it because they assume readers know where they're at (and might well not).
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »
I'd rather hope to keep fanfic at bay in general, as it seems like it pre-digests a lot of the work in a story and essentially makes it harder for those who have to establish their own universe, and riskier for those who want to write in a universe and under-develop it because they assume readers know where they're at (and might well not).

Thank you for summing up my feelings exactly. I don't want to miss out on good stories about an AWESOME topic because I've never read the author's world they're writing in. But then again I despise most forms of fanfic because they rarely live up to the original author's voice and it comes off as forced.

Unless we decide to do a Fifty Shades of Grey fanfic contest, in which I imagine almost every single story will hilariously involve something going terribly wrong in the rich guy's sex dungeon. I could get behind that.  ::)
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2016, 09:10:15 PM »
Oh hell yay, any excuse to write gory erotica! \o/

edit : OMG you deuce @Lordoftheword, now I have a weird craving to go and write dark dungeon sex, mind what you say, dammit, that's some infectious idea, you're like a inception bio-terrorist!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:16:12 PM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer A demon god's birthday starts the hunt(1)
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2016, 09:13:23 PM »
@xiagan, big boss, what's the rule?

It's not in the rules, that's true. We just never had the case that somebody wanted to write fanfic in the contest before.
I'd like to keep fanfic in 'Fanfic February'.

There are thousands of forums, homepages and facebook groups dedicated to Fanfic and this forum is not one of those. Most writers here have the dream of getting published someday so naturally none of them writes Fanfic. And while I can understand that spending time in a favorite universe has its appeal, it's not what we do here. We don't use worlds, we create worlds. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2016, 09:32:25 PM »
The key to happiness is to create a world, love it so dearly that you want to spend time in it, boom.

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2016, 09:38:10 PM »
The key to happiness is to create a world, love it so dearly that you want to spend time in it, boom.

A flesh eater's paradise with gory erotic ? I don't won't to spend time in Nora's world with a bloke called Hades, help me!

I'm looking forward to your undead lich dragon Nora,not enough undead dragons in my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:39:44 PM by Eclipse »
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Lordoftheword

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2016, 09:46:23 PM »
If Nora pulls off an undead dragon, gory erotica piece, she's got my vote.  ;D
Author of Tournament of Hearts: The Librarian Gladiator.
Check out my embarrassing misadventures @ www.dustindoes.com

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2016, 09:48:11 PM »
I was going to write a piece about a vet for dragon being called onsite to save a great rare dragon, found injured, and have a happy ending.  :-[

Dammit people, you don't know what you want!

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2016, 09:52:06 PM »
Give me undead zombie dragon sex! I want it now.have a three way with Hades added in to the mix.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 09:55:52 PM by Eclipse »
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Tags: