July 10, 2020, 08:28:41 AM

Author Topic: [DEC 2015] - Young Love - Discussion Thread  (Read 41583 times)

Offline AshKB

• Godling
    • View Profile
Re: [DEC 2015] - Young Love - Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2015, 10:23:49 PM »

If you now stare in disgust at your screen because you think that you have to write a teen girl romance, you're wrong.

...You guys have no, NO idea how tempted I am to write about teenage girls who are in love, featuring vampires and werewolves, just for that statement. :P
The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be lighted - Plutarch

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2015, 10:31:33 PM »

If you now stare in disgust at your screen because you think that you have to write a teen girl romance, you're wrong.

...You guys have no, NO idea how tempted I am to write about teenage girls who are in love, featuring vampires and werewolves, just for that statement. :P
I say go for it, why not? Who says that wouldn't be a great story? Esp if you change it up, play with the tropes a bit perhaps. Could be really good.

Offline AshKB

• Godling
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2015, 11:10:06 PM »

I say go for it, why not? Who says that wouldn't be a great story? Esp if you change it up, play with the tropes a bit perhaps. Could be really good.

I think I will, honestly. My first thought on seeing the prompt was another character in that 'verse, but on reflection, teenage girl vampire/werewolf I think. Once I can work out a scene or a plot.

Although, I am somewhat thinking if people are so off-put by the idea of writing teenage girls, that should be a monthly contest all of its own... ;-)

I not only use all the brains I have, but all that I can borrow - Woodrow Wilson

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2015, 12:16:28 AM »

I think I will, honestly. My first thought on seeing the prompt was another character in that 'verse, but on reflection, teenage girl vampire/werewolf I think. Once I can work out a scene or a plot.

Although, I am somewhat thinking if people are so off-put by the idea of writing teenage girls, that should be a monthly contest all of its own... ;-)

Been there, done that, don't need a reminder. I would totally skip a month of teenage girl.

No. Actually.
I'd write about a teenage girl slave. Maybe trapped in a alien space-harem. Off stage tentacle sex references. Just to show my discontent  >:(  ;D
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ultamentkiller

• Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2015, 02:13:21 AM »
I would have to skip that prompt. Being a teenager myself, I still haven't figured that one out, and probably never will. The laughter would force me to hide in the mountains.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2015, 02:58:53 AM »
I just got a flash of an idea. Now I have to let it perc for a bit, see if it assembles itself a bit. 
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2015, 08:26:44 AM »
I would have to skip that prompt. Being a teenager myself, I still haven't figured that one out, and probably never will. The laughter would force me to hide in the mountains.
awwww
Don't think you have to turn into a vampire or a werewolf to get a girl... 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2015, 08:27:35 AM »

Please check the monthly writing contest from this year's April. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline AshKB

• Godling
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2015, 09:57:58 AM »

Aw, why skipping? Teenage girls have gotten up to all kinds of things (Joan of Arc springs to mind, Cleopatra was only 18 when she was made ruler of Egypt, and had to survive years of that deadly court beforehand) just like teenage boys.

Besiiiides, I have no ability to make prompts, so, you're all safe from having to do anything. Was just a slightly tongue-in-cheek suggestion.

Please check the monthly writing contest from this year's April. ;)

See, I thought the original prompt was interesting :P Instead of taking the normal pot-shots at a popular genre, getting people to try and think up original twists on the premise.

And I never did mention anything about a love-triangle... Annoying things they are. Polyamory all the way.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 11:18:24 AM by AshKB »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2015, 01:33:35 PM »
So here's what I love and hate.

Love: Every story prompt triggers an avalanche of possible story ideas in my head.
Hate and Love: Unfortunately, some of them are good (at least in my head), and I end up with yet another possible World to write about.

This time... (don't read if you want my story to be fresh after I post it)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Alexander is an orphan who lives in the Endless Library of Finer Learning. He spends most of his time with the squirrels who are forced to find, deliver and re-shelve books all day long; but he also knows the owls who are there to keep the mice and rats out and serve as enforcers on any squirrel who removes his magic ID tag.

Penelope is the daughter of a magician from Ophir. He brings her to the Library; and while he is doing his research, he sends her off to obtain the volumes he needs. One of these books is in the Un-indexed Section. Penny gets lost trying to find it, until Alex comes to her aid. Together, they venture into the wild and dangerous U-Section, coming out with the book. Penny gives Alex a sweetheart kiss; though he doesn't quite know what to make of it.

Penelope and her father leave to return to Ophir, and Alex already begins to miss her. The wise squirrel Damus tells Alex that Penny will return, because she is the one who will free the squirrels from their bondage to the Stacks and let them return to the Trees.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2015, 01:38:19 PM »
Oh please Jmack, do this one, do this one!!!

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »
Oh please Jmack, do this one, do this one!!!

This

Offline night_wrtr

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2015, 01:49:33 PM »
Nice, Jmack. Do eeeet.

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2015, 02:02:20 PM »
you HAVE to -- think of the squirrels, man!

THE SQUIRRELS!!

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2015, 02:08:31 PM »
you HAVE to -- think of the squirrels, man!

THE SQUIRRELS!!
;D

I think if we held another vote for likes in the section I would vote differently ::)