November 13, 2019, 05:42:05 AM

Author Topic: [DEC 2015] - Young Love - Discussion Thread  (Read 34290 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: [DEC 2015] - Young Love - Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2015, 01:12:01 PM »
In understand each of those words, but put them together and I'm like:

:-[
You could write about how @Saurus and you met and then change the names and add some peril and a fantastic element.  ;D
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2015, 01:13:12 PM »
A story that reflects people in love: they don't have to meet and fall in love during your story!
I understand each of those words, but put them together and I'm like:

hmmm
Think of Mistborn book 3: Vin and 'now-I-completely-forgot-name-of-husband-in-white-suit' are in love, working together. We see their love in action, so to say, but the whole story of how they met and got together happened in books 1 and 2.
So you mean that the love can be pretty much completely irrelevant?
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2015, 01:14:36 PM »
A story that reflects people in love: they don't have to meet and fall in love during your story!

hmmm
Think of Mistborn book 3: Vin and 'now-I-completely-forgot-name-of-husband-in-white-suit' are in love, working together. We see their love in action, so to say, but the whole story of how they met and got together happened in books 1 and 2.

Which doesn't mean it's viable as a standalone love story – I'm saying this because I found that book horrible.  :D

@Raptori : look, if you were writing about the moment of betrayal, in a love story, you could have a character raving about how that was his first love (or only possible love? Imagine species which can only mate with one partner, like some birds, mixed with a more free person who shatters their views and expectations?) you could definitely write about such events while the main "falling in love and being all over each other" is past, off stage and only refered to.
Likewise with a declaration going wild. A character on its way to propose could fill us in with the charming details and events that made it fall in love with the second character, ect.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2015, 01:15:54 PM »

hmmm
So you mean that the love can be pretty much completely irrelevant?

Read my entry. Besides the need for brain bleach it's somehow about love...a bit distorted.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2015, 01:20:44 PM »
Which doesn't mean it's viable as a standalone love story – I'm saying this because I found that book horrible.  :D

@Raptori : look, if you were writing about the moment of betrayal, in a love story, you could have a character raving about how that was his first love (or only possible love? Imagine species which can only mate with one partner, like some birds, mixed with a more free person who shatters their views and expectations?) you could definitely write about such events while the main "falling in love and being all over each other" is past, off stage and only refered to.
Likewise with a declaration going wild. A character on its way to propose could fill us in with the charming details and events that made it fall in love with the second character, ect.
Still a bit ! Guess it's just really not my theme.

Read my entry. Besides the need for brain bleach it's somehow about love...a bit distorted.
I try not to read any entries until we're done writing our own, always makes it more difficult to come up with ideas when I do that...  :P
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 01:22:19 PM by Raptori »
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2015, 01:23:06 PM »
Well actually, out of the 11 contest I have participated in, I have been last only 5 times.  8)
 ;D
Ahh, but how many times have you submitted your story in the last day or two?  :P
I refrain from answering your question as it is not pertinent to the discussion.  ::)
 ;D
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2015, 01:26:36 PM »
Well actually, out of the 11 contest I have participated in, I have been last only 5 times.  8)
 ;D
Ahh, but how many times have you submitted your story in the last day or two?  :P
I refrain from answering your question as it is not pertinent to the discussion.  ::)
 ;D

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2015, 01:43:28 PM »
Ideas for "scenes" that don't require an entire build up :

• Dialogue a la Pride and Prejudice, where a proposal goes sour. Why, and what has the person done to deserve such rebuke?
  • Something happens to one of the members of a couple of some type of alien/creature, and they go berserk because first lovers bond for life.
  • A group of person of X gender go wild with more and more gruesome or extravagant presents to try and swoon the heart of a maiden, as first loves are sacred. Why not see unicorn heart on a plate?
  • A teacher who teaches how to love, be a good lover and let oneself fall in love - the Art of Love - falls for his student as student "Surpasses Master". I quite like that.  :D
  • Two neighbours fall for each other as they see through their windows the other live its life. Except that they both live in different parts of the world/dimensions, and they're seeing each other through a hole in time-space/dimension fabric that's hanging in the middle of the air, unrepaired by government! Maybe they could send each other notes on airplanes?
  • Man time travels to get rid of competitors and the first lovers of HIS first love. Goes back to the present and realises that his partner doesn't like him anymore, because it's these past experiences that made her what she was.

Ect. ect!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2015, 03:16:55 PM »
This is going to be a tough one for me. Pretty much every novel I've written includes a romance subplot, but it's just that ... a subplot. I'm having absolutely no luck coming up with a story where love is the main focus, so I'll probably just end up doing what I always do.

Writing a short story with a love subplot. :)

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2015, 03:33:21 PM »
catching up on this thread since last night (like, 10 hours ago) has me all:

1) ha!  that's awesome!
2) looks for like button.
3) curses!  this is dumb!
4) moves on to the next post.
5) go back to #1

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2015, 06:32:39 PM »
And I'm just sat here thinking about what an Orc's penis might look like.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2015, 06:46:14 PM »

@m3mnoch: NO ART IN RESPONSE TO THIS POST!

just saying  :o

Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2015, 07:56:08 PM »

alrighty.  you asked for it.

Spoiler for Hiden:

made you look!

<punches you twice in the shoulder>

Offline night_wrtr

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2015, 08:34:11 PM »

alrighty.  you asked for it.

Spoiler for Hiden:

made you look!

<punches you twice in the shoulder>

Ugh.

I'm not sure why I looked. It could have been a picture of anything. Probably not an orc's member, but still. The possibility was there and I clicked it anyway.

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2015, 08:40:23 PM »
Ugh.

I'm not sure why I looked. It could have been a picture of anything. Probably not an orc's member, but still. The possibility was there and I clicked it anyway.

one of the benefits of having my "omg -- i would totally believe he put that in there!" reputation.

you NEVER know what you're going to get!

it might even be "on topic".  ha!