Affairs of the Heart - Lanko
2 (4.9%)
Prelude to a Lesson - AskKB
1 (2.4%)
That Pain In Your Chest - ArcaneArtsVelho
2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: February 01, 2016, 11:54:41 AM

Author Topic: [DEC 2015] - Young Love - Voting Thread  (Read 26732 times)

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
Re: [DEC 2015] - Young Love - Voting Thread
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2016, 07:27:09 PM »

Wow. Who would've thought that a competition about Young Love would end in a threesome? ...Erm, I mean, who would've thought that myself, tebakutis and Jmack would end up in such a compromising position? Erm, I mean- Sorry, what's that? Tebakutis already made a bunch of innuendo jokes? Well, I guess the more the merrier.  :P

Seriously though, congrats to my fellow victors. I suppose we shall have to share the title of GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST!!! this month. Also, credit to Jmack for refusing to simply lie down and let me take the Writing Contest record. But it shall be mine sooner or later and then the entire forum shall bow before me! Mwahahaha!! ...Or, you know, I might boast about it a little. Probably just the latter.

Also, it's pretty funny that this is the second time I've won two contests in a row (even if this one was a draw). Will I finally be able to break that pattern in January and make it three in a row? I was pretty happy with my Jan entry, but there are a number of very good opposing stories as well. Oh well, I guess we'll have to see.

Also, are we planning on doing a 'Best Story of 2015' vote like last year? I'd be interested to see that.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2016, 07:31:24 PM »
Also, credit to Jmack for refusing to simply lie down and let me take the Writing Contest record.

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2016, 07:42:51 PM »
Also, credit to Jmack for refusing to simply lie down and let me take the Writing Contest record.

What's wrong with that? I was merely hoping I might catch Jmack with his pants down and give him a severe thrashing in the writing contest. Can't a man talk about giving his rival a hard one from behind without it being misconstrued in some way?
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2016, 07:48:01 PM »

What's wrong with that? I was merely hoping I might catch Jmack with his pants down and give him a severe thrashing in the writing contest. Can't a man talk about giving his rival a hard one from behind without it being misconstrued in some way?

He is just trying to say he wants to be included in it  ::)

All three of you, together, with plenty of bunnies (or should I say squirrels) in the room.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline night_wrtr

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2016, 07:58:28 PM »

You all are killing me right now.

Spoiler for Hiden:

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2016, 08:43:28 PM »
Congratulations to the winners of our 1st three way tie. To everyone who has said my entry was creepy, whether you voted for my story or not, I'm saying thank you, because that's what I was going for. Although I do apologise for giving people nightmares. The topic was really hard to hit and I think some stories struggled with that, although I wound up doing young love, I approached the story more as first love.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2016, 09:33:17 PM »
To everyone who has said my entry was creepy, whether you voted for my story or not, I'm saying thank you, because that's what I was going for. Although I do apologise for giving people nightmares.
You definitely hit the mark then, well done ;D

Also, are we planning on doing a 'Best Story of 2015' vote like last year? I'd be interested to see that.
See xia's new thread under the Monthly Contest big section :D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 09:57:38 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2016, 10:43:36 PM »
Wow. Busy day for me, finally getting to read all this. So congrats, Tebakutis and RA! I guess we're just taking turns on top... of the contest, you dirt brains.  ;)

I voted to Tebakutis and m3mnoch this month. This the first time I ever held back in the full votes, and reflected how much I liked these two stories rather than any weakness in the others.

Thanks to folks who liked my squirrels! I had another story idea that was much more about young love, but the squirrels were too much fun to pass up. And I'm spending a lot of time with Penelope, Alexander, and the squirrels these days. It's my one goal this year to complete a draft of their book.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 01, 2016, 11:09:29 PM »
That's great having a three way tie, huge congrats to Rukaio, Jmack and tebakutis, all great stories and I will give my reasons for  not voting as they were so hard to walk past. My reasons may not seem logical, but choosing a story is often just personal reaction.

@Jmack, Love the squirrels and the great library, and very glad we will see much more one day,but got caught up in that part of story. The shy young love was delightful, but a little too subtle here so was lost as the theme.

@Rukaio_Alter I have often voted for you in past because I love your sense of humour, and adore stories that make me LOL, but this time your success worked in reverse. I thought, RA's almost sure to get lots of votes  so I'll look at others to give a vote for theme I liked, not just the fun.

@tebakutis Great story and good love theme content, but entirely a  personal reason -  too much space techie content for me.

My votes went to @Nora, @TOMunro, and @ArcaneArtsVelho (and not cos you got to Auror AAV, you weren't there when I voted). Sorry got you mixed up with That Thief - meant your happy Forum Birthday celebration;D
I liked all your stories very much, thank you, and I'll tell you why later in the crit thread.

@Elfy - great story but definitely too creepy for me as well, so you succeeded in your aim. ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:25:23 PM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2016, 08:27:10 AM »
Nora, I saw this image on today's sci-fi article on the main site and thought of your Young Love story :)

At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams