May 30, 2020, 08:02:43 PM

Author Topic: Part 4: Chapter 12 to the End (week 4)  (Read 1845 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Part 4: Chapter 12 to the End (week 4)
« on: November 19, 2015, 04:51:44 PM »
It's a short book, says @Raptori! I wonder how many folks will actually take all of December to read the thing. Or, more likely, wait until just after Christmas to start, then binge-read the puppy.

It's all good. Join in any way you want to.  :)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
Re: Part 4: Chapter 12 to the End (week 4)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 02:02:30 AM »
From this part onwards the reflections gave place to action. I thought that would be needed, but it kinda didn't felt right for this book.

The coronation and the ending were a bit surreal too. I mean, it's a nice happy ending, but if reality was the theme, the islanders should have been conquered by the English. Or maybe is a Pratchett critique, like what could happen if instead of colonization England attempted cooperation.

Still, maximum note for the book. The themes and the thinking provided by the book are that strong.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 12:09:14 PM »
I think I struggled a bit with what I think of as "authorly-clever-coincidences" or "coinkydinks".

The most glaring is finding the ax in the tree just when it's needed. A lovely example of Chekhov's gun (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chekhov%27s_gun, but for me, one more example of a mixed message in the book.

> Religion is made up by people to given them a sense of meaning and structure
> There are ancestors who can speak to people, and you can go to the dead lands to steal souls from a god
> Stuff happens conveniently for the heroes

Don't get me wrong: loved the book. And maybe at a certian point, we just don't take the plot too seriously.

Which goes to your point, @Lanko. I do think Pratchett is positing a world where nice people can make nice things happen. The whole final chapter/epilogue is a paeon to it.

Wouldn't that be refreshing?

Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 11:00:59 AM »
Finished it. And just before I need to return it.  :)   Also, I did use all of the month to read it. Well, almost all of the month (three weeks maybe).  ;)

Hmm, yes: A very convenient axe in a very convenient tree. To me, it would have been all right if Mau had seen the tree in the reef earlier and pondered that it looked familiar. Then, in the duel, he could have remembered it from the Boys' Island and gone, as a last-ditch effort, to check if the axe happened to still be there. But to introduce something in the first chapter and then use it in the second to last??? I don't think that's how Chekhov meant it.  ::)

The coronation and the ending were a bit surreal too. I mean, it's a nice happy ending, but if reality was the theme, the islanders should have been conquered by the English.
Yeah, reality is not really a theme when you think about everything that happened in the book.  :)

I do think Pratchett is positing a world where nice people can make nice things happen.
^This. Wasn't there a point where that kind of thinking was "underlined" when Mau thought about Daphne's father along the lines of (paraphrasing, I mean really pharaphrasing), "Such a nice girl must have a nice farther". Or something like that.

And I think that, as this is very much a young adult book, the niceness and happiness of the ending is understandable.

There were convenient bits, slightly confusing bits (most of which got explained later), and even some unnecessary bits, but there was also a lot of good, funny, and sad bits. I think the latter ones outweigh the former ones.

It wasn't a great book, but it was... nice.  :)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 11:12:21 AM by ArcaneArtsVelho »
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.