January 18, 2021, 07:47:13 PM

Author Topic: Who is Reading Along? :)  (Read 16872 times)

Offline Mr Soul

Re: Who is Reading Along? :)
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 03:05:15 PM »
I certainly planned to read along. But I've picked up the book a half dozen times in the last few days and have read less than thirty pages.

Just can not get any traction.  I'll give it another try.

Offline ChristinaJL

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 05:39:43 PM »
If I had to take a stab at it, Tome is closer to Abercrombie in terms of grittiness and humour (it really isn't like either of the Lynch at all). The best judge would be to read the interview with SS, really. In terms of distinctive personality, sense of humor, attitude, etc...

I like Abercrombie, so I might give it a go.  I like to try different authors, but wasn't keen on 2 of the previous book club reads - Rothfuss and Mieville - so was just being a bit wary this time round.   ::)

Offline iwillreadbooks

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 04:41:17 PM »
I've both read and re-read Tome already, but I'll definitely take part in the conversation. And do my best not to spoil anything.

Spoiler for Hiden:
EVERYONE DIES.

Fanboy!

I'll try and participate as well. Already read it, but Autumn2May said I can still play with you guys
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 04:44:14 PM by iwillreadbooks »
I Will Read Books (and review them) http://iwillreadbooks.com

Offline iwillreadbooks

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 04:48:48 PM »
I can't decide on whether to join in this month or not.  I've looked a couple of times at the reviews on Goodreads/Amazon and I'm not convinced I'll like this one.  How does it compare to say Abercrombie (who I like) but Lynch's second book, which I wasn't so keen on?

Def closer to Abercrombie. It feels like he was going for a similar gritty, more realistic view of melee. It's scary, skill won't necessarily be enough, nothing glorious about being a hero. He does not reach up to Abercrombie's level though.

Good characters though. They saved the book for me.
I Will Read Books (and review them) http://iwillreadbooks.com

Offline ChristinaJL

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 06:51:05 PM »
Right, have decided that I'm in.  Got to finish ADWD and my cycling book first, so I might be starting a bit late.   ;D

Offline Vilutheril

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 03:45:19 PM »
I only just joined the forums but it's not too late for me to join in as well is it? I've already got a copy and I've never done any kind of group read or book club before so it might be fun to discuss a book with others. :)
You can follow me on my website, on goodreads or on twitter!

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 04:05:07 PM »
not at all ^ We start tomorrow
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Vilutheril

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2011, 04:32:04 PM »
Awesome. Thanks! :)
You can follow me on my website, on goodreads or on twitter!

Offline Jeni

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »
I downloaded Kindle to my PC today and bought the e-book version so that I could join in. If I enjoy it I won't be able to drag it out over four weeks though, so I might not start it till the end of the week.   :D

Offline Overlord

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2011, 10:13:44 AM »
And Today... It begins ;) But you can join in at any point =)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Noona

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2011, 08:36:05 PM »
I got my copy today but might not be reading until I've had time to finish off the Hobb trilogy!

Offline Overlord

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 09:54:44 AM »
I got my copy today but might not be reading until I've had time to finish off the Hobb trilogy!

LOL - It is damned addictive... Just due to finish book 2 today and probably press straight on to book 3. So grateful to the guys like Hound and Co that pushed it for last month's book club read =)

Offline Noona

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »

LOL - It is damned addictive... Just due to finish book 2 today and probably press straight on to book 3. So grateful to the guys like Hound and Co that pushed it for last month's book club read =)

I agree, really enjoyed assassin's apprentice, but i've been at work (in a bookshop :p) for 9 of the last 10 days and haven't had time! I'm off today and thursday so hopefully that'll be most of rd oyal assassin.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 11:01:53 AM »

I agree, really enjoyed assassin's apprentice, but i've been at work (in a bookshop :p) for 9 of the last 10 days and haven't had time! I'm off today and thursday so hopefully that'll be most of rd oyal assassin.

Really, really good. I like how Hobb re-emphasises everything and kind of 'catches you up' without it feeling like she is repeating things to you like you are an idiot.

Offline Nighteyes

• Juicy dwarf/orc erotica to go.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »
You guys still have such a wonderful voyage, though I guarantee that at least one of you will be bawling your eyes out, and calling her an evil biatch by the end of Assassin's Quest.
The Real Powers That Be