November 12, 2019, 10:10:45 PM

Author Topic: [Aug 2019] - BtR: Weather - Discussion Thread  (Read 2029 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
[Aug 2019] - BtR: Weather - Discussion Thread
« on: July 31, 2019, 11:54:14 AM »
Break the Rules: Weather

Rainmeter theme by adni18

Break the Rules is a new series of themes we'll do every now and then where you are supposed to do something you normally shouldn't do when writing a story. We hope this provides a new perspective and fun. In our first edition of BtR you have to start your story with a description of the weather. We want to encourage you to just start describing the weather and look where that takes you storywise.

Rules:

1. This must be prose or poetry.
2. You have to start your story with at least a hundred words describing the weather. If you write a poem, the first eight lines need to be about the weather.
3. Prose must be 500-1500 words long.
4. Poetry must be 100-750 words long.
5. One story per person or writing team (not per account).
6. You will be disqualified if you exceed the limits, full stop. That's why they're called limits.
7. Your entry can't be published somewhere else before.
8. This is a writing contest, not a "I have written something like this ten years ago" contest. So if you happen to have a story that fits one of the themes, I'd like it to have a mayor overhaul/edit. Work for it. ;)
9. Please add your story's word count and, if you have, your twitter handle.
10. Please put your story in [ spoiler ] tags to make the thread easier to handle. :) You can find them above the smileys under the B.
Bonus rule: We consider voting in a contest you're taking part in a given. Others take time and effort to read the stories - you should do the same. A small community like ours lives from reciprocity and this contest needs stories as much as votes. 

If you want so submit your story anonymously you can do so by sending it in a personal message to @xiagan.

Entry will close August 31st/September 1st, 2019 and voting will begin somewhere around the same time too.

All members are eligible to join. If you are not a member you can join here. Sign up is free and all are welcome! :)

The winner will have their piece displayed on the main Fantasy Faction website sometime in the next months.
Submitting a story counts as published. The author retains all rights to their work.

Please post your entry here.

Note: This thread is only for questions or discussing this month's writing contest. Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:08:43 PM by ScarletBea »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline isos81

• Bridgeburner
    • View Profile
Re: [Aug 2019] - BtR: Weather - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 02:05:27 PM »
you are supposed to do something you normally shouldn't do when writing a story

I do not understand what this means.

In our first edition of BtR you have to start your story with a description of the weather. We want to encourage you to just start describing the weather and look where that takes you storywise.[/size]

So it's basically a story where I start describing weather and continue on as I see fit until I hit 1500 words limit?
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 06:10:35 PM »
you are supposed to do something you normally shouldn't do when writing a story
I do not understand what this means.
It means that we're asking you to break the "rules" (or a general set of guidance of what you should and shouldn't do when writing) - in this case, start a story talking about the weather (which is usually a boring subject, right?)

In our first edition of BtR you have to start your story with a description of the weather. We want to encourage you to just start describing the weather and look where that takes you storywise.[/size]
So it's basically a story where I start describing weather and continue on as I see fit until I hit 1500 words limit?
Yep!
It should be SFF, though ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 06:33:47 PM »
start a story talking about the weather (which is usually a boring subject, right?)

For your non Brits maybe
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 06:41:42 PM »
start a story talking about the weather (which is usually a boring subject, right?)

For your non Brits maybe
Actually, I *love* talking about the weather, and my dad always starts our phone calls talking about the weather, so for me this is absolutely normal ;D

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Jake Baelish

• Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 06:20:24 AM »
This is a really awesome theme, and ideas are already emerging. Last month's was also awesome, to be fair, I just wasn't in 'writing mode' last month  :-\

Should be able to make it this time, and look forward to reading the employment entries we got  :)
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 04:32:45 PM »
Haha, awesome theme.

"It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents, except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets.

It was the perfect time to be writing something, as Barley Redwood had nothing else to do. Such weather also inspired the darkest thoughts, and soon he was in the perfect mood for an horror story.

He wrote about a goat who, through unknown means, gained intelligence and magical powers. This goat (now walking on two legs) acknowledged how he was used by humans and swore vengeance. So at dark and stormy nights, he would come to the village, choose a random house, and kidnap a human. He would enter the house, and when the victim, wakening if sleepy, or turning around if distracted, would hear the alien, demonic bleat before they lost consciousness.

Then they would awake at the animal farm, where they would be slowly skinned and their blood milked until nothing remained but an empty husk. And that was one the most merciful fates in that farm, for there were more animals turned demonic, some with far more rage than the goat.

Barley smiled, happy with what he came up with. He went to his kitchen to grab a cup of coffee, threw in some goat milk, and was returning to his room, when he almost fell on his back after seeing a strange silhouette on his window. What could that be?

Laughing it off, he nervously climbed the stairs, then stopped as the lights turned on and off. Then he was sure a shadow was being cast over him. He felt the presence. Sweating, he slowly turned, and before he lost consciousness, he could only hear...

"Meh-eh-eh!"
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2019, 04:40:15 PM »
^ ;D
Come on, now a longer story to be submitted 8)

Offline isos81

• Bridgeburner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2019, 04:45:28 PM »
I'm planning to write something (if I can) about a kid who can control weather without knowing :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2019, 05:01:57 PM »
^ ;D
Come on, now a longer story to be submitted 8)

I'll get back to it on the 30th  ::)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 05:17:33 PM »
I'm planning to write something (if I can) about a kid who can control weather without knowing :)

Cool another goat story 😉

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline isos81

• Bridgeburner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2019, 05:23:32 PM »

Cool another goat story 😉

I do not know what a goat story is :-[ Is it cliche?

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile

Offline Norman Gray

• Tribute
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 07:18:05 PM »
Talking about the weather is most certainly a faux-pas in casual conversation; working as a driver for nearly seven years, I eventually learned to absolutely hate when someone inìtiated a conversation about the weather; I have no problem remaining silent when there's nothing much to say, but some people just feel the need to talk about anything at all. I would even go so far as to not even respond to them, if I was in a particularly bad mood and the weather talk was especially egregious, like say if a minor drizzle was falling and someone asked me, "Can you believe this rain we're having?"

And I'd think to myself, "the rain that's falling from the sky? Yes, I believe it."

All that said, I don't feel like it's 'breaking the rules' in fiction to talk about weather, especially if setting the scene requires it. . .

Come to think of it, the first story I ever posted here starts by describing the weather, because it was a necessary part of the story and the character's journey. Maybe I'll make another story about that same character and his weather woes. . .