The Brass Machine - dinogenetics
0 (0%)
Ă–calan - MattWillis
2 (13.3%)
The Witch's Son - Nora
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: March 01, 2018, 09:54:28 AM

Author Topic: [Jan 2018] - Rebirth/Renewal - Voting Thread  (Read 3231 times)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
Re: [Jan 2018] - Rebirth/Renewal - Voting Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 01:34:15 PM »
No one's forcing anything - we don't even enforce the deadline to submit, so it was a courtesy suggestion, not a proposed gestapo raid. We still have a week before the end of the month, so I thought it might be hectic managing dozens of messages as people change their minds, so I asked. Excuuuuuuuuse me!
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 01:45:19 PM »
Oh, you totally overestimate how many people vote!!! ;D

Thanks for your concern, but we already had 5 votes, normally we have around 11-12 people voting, so it's a very manageable number via PM
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2018, 09:18:41 PM »
We need a GOTV campaign. Maybe stickers.... Haha I gotta confess I'm a little overwhelmed atm so I might not be able to vote this time

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2018, 09:35:27 PM »
We need a GOTV campaign. Maybe stickers.... Haha I gotta confess I'm a little overwhelmed atm so I might not be able to vote this time

It's ok Bradley. Just vote for me and you'll have done your duty.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2018, 12:22:26 AM »
Voted! (Via PM)  8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2018, 03:51:27 AM »
Oh, you totally overestimate how many people vote!!! ;D

Thanks for your concern, but we already had 5 votes, normally we have around 11-12 people voting, so it's a very manageable number via PM
My inbox is cruising around 200 emails a day; 2 or 3 skype calls and about a zillion skype chats; my personal email is bombarded by my real estate agent and mortgage lender and estimates from 2 different handymen vying for my money, and I have a mover who apparently doesn't like to move things. So from my point of view, tracking 12-15 people x 3 votes + vote changes = way more crap than I'd want to deal with.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2018, 10:10:47 AM »
Maybe that's why you're not the one dealing with the votes then!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2018, 10:34:26 AM »
Umm. Can we knock it off?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2018, 02:15:49 PM »
My inbox is cruising around 200 emails a day; 2 or 3 skype calls and about a zillion skype chats; my personal email is bombarded by my real estate agent and mortgage lender and estimates from 2 different handymen vying for my money, and I have a mover who apparently doesn't like to move things. So from my point of view, tracking 12-15 people x 3 votes + vote changes = way more crap than I'd want to deal with.

That's your personal email though, surely :p. I presume ScarletBea's getting them through the forum mail, which, admittedly probably also spams her personal email, but should be more than manageable by just checking this one.

Unless of course all those emails of yours are coming through your FantasyFaction account, which apart from being awesome to think of the look on people's faces when they're using this avenue of communication, would also explain why the forum keeps crashing!
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2018, 02:23:39 PM »
hehehehe

Don't you guys worry about me!
After all, I organised the 20+ writers into the Writing Groups, getting most people together with their preferred members, and the groups did work out well for a few months (the rest was not my fault ;)), so I can handle a few votes ;D

(and as for me, I've now read half the stories)
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2018, 02:24:43 PM »
I am not a multi-tasker - I am a sniper. And though I can shoot fast, I do not like having so much going on at once.
The Gem Cutter

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2018, 09:23:11 PM »
My votes are in.
The Gem Cutter

Offline dinogenetics

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2018, 09:25:17 PM »
Ditto - task complete!

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2018, 06:32:36 PM »
10 people have voted now, me included :D

A few stories close for first place, a lot more close for the rest - you can influence it, VOTE!

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2018, 12:18:03 PM »
Read and sent my votes. In the spirit of my new year's resolution of 2017... (that I'm only just upholding a year later and still almost failed!), here's a positive comment for each of the participants (hidden for those who don't want to be influenced until they've voted!):

Gemcutter
Spoiler for Hiden:
I really liked the setting of this story. I was probably a bit hindered by not having read the original that this followed on from, but you really sold up this clockwork castle to give me a vivid image of this beautiful mechanical monument ticking along.

Alex Hormann
Spoiler for Hiden:
Poems are always difficult, but I was impressed by some of the rhyming words here, and reading beneath the surface, I got this interesting metaphorical image of the foundational dark necessities of a cannibalistic creature so that it, or those around it, can ultimately grow to become a butterfly.

idledragon27
Spoiler for Hiden:
As an avid coffee drinker, I loved the simple concept of contrasting coffee as a galactic narcotic that this story was built around. It kept me intrigued throughout, and the underlying message of testing somebody in a natural environment over controlled interviews where they preplan a facade I also thought was kind of neat.

JMack
Spoiler for Hiden:
It's been... God, a year or more now since I read the entries in this contest, but damn man, your writing ability has improved so much from what I remember. You always had the humour and the passion, but damn, that third paragraph describing the cat was just beautiful. On the point of cats, I imagine Raptori would be most proud of you should he read this.

Norman Gray
Spoiler for Hiden:
I found the concept of a currency made up of cogs from an an ancient defeated race that's in the throes of collecting them back to resurrect their former greatness really intriguing. I may have gone more the route of the cogs being all part of a singular doomsday device rather than the denizens, but the fact that I'm even thinking about that shows the desire to want to know more that you instilled in me, so great job there.

tebakutis
Spoiler for Hiden:
I found the scene of a general who's committed a warcrime conversing with a survivor really enthralling.
Vale had some deep characterisation that sucked me in, so deep that I don't think a 1500 word short story does him full justice. But faced with the limitations, you did an admirable job, so much so as to entice me to wish I knew more.

Carter
Spoiler for Hiden:
This was a nice simple little fantasy peace, and I loved the idea of presenting a necromancer in a more vulnerable light, where they suffer pangs of guilt for the craft they do. It's a refreshing change from the standard overlord ruling with an army of mindless servants.

ryanmcgowan
Spoiler for Hiden:
I dunno why it is, but I really loved the imagination of a technological heaven. There was some really good world building here, and the creature building of the angels was also particularly well done. Like quite a few stories here, it feels like the 1500 word limit didn't do it justice, but it's enviable that in such a low word count you can create such an effect to want to know more.

dinogenetics
Spoiler for Hiden:
For me, titles are usually secondary, but in this case, for a story called 'The Brass Machine' I can't give enough credit for how incredibly awesome the Brass machine was. I think you hit the perfect level of detail whereby I was able to let my imagination whirl into all sorts of imagery of what this machine looked like and did. Huge credit on your part, because I'm one who prefers deeper character narrative to object descriptions.

MattWillis
Spoiler for Hiden:
Props has to be given here to the underlying message of the affect war has on the civilians caught up in it, when so often people pass off attacks as 'killing the bad guys'. I really liked the message here and respect the genuineness of its delivery on your part.

Nora
Spoiler for Hiden:
Like Jmack, the improvement to your writing compared to the last time I read these is unreal. Part of me fears that comes off condescending, but seriously, the flow and quality of words in those opening paragraphs was so good it had me captured throughout. You've got a beautiful prose narrative, and that's something you should be proud of and I'm most envious of.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 12:20:05 PM by D_Bates »
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018