The Brass Machine - dinogenetics
0 (0%)
Öcalan - MattWillis
2 (13.3%)
The Witch's Son - Nora
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: March 01, 2018, 09:54:28 AM

Author Topic: [Jan 2018] - Rebirth/Renewal - Voting Thread  (Read 12991 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
[Jan 2018] - Rebirth/Renewal - Voting Thread
« on: February 03, 2018, 09:54:28 AM »
There's a problem currently with all polls, and voting is broken :(
Please send your votes via Personal Message to me and I will consolidate them all manually.
If you've already voted, I can see those, so don't worry about voting again.

It's time to vote on the January Writing Contest: Rebirth/Renewal!

We got 12 entries this month - a great start to the year, thanks to all who participated.

Please read through all of the entries in the submission thread and place your votes for your three favourite entries in this thread. You won't be able to see the vote breakdown until the vote closes, so spread the word for others to come and vote! We do ask that if you entered, to vote for someone else.

The key for the numbers of votes is this: 1-5 entries: 1 vote, 5-10 entries: 2 votes, 11-15 entries: 3 votes, 16-19: 4 votes, 20-25: 5 votes, 26+: 6 votes

Remember that the winning entry will be posted on the main Fantasy-Faction site in a few months.

Good luck to all our entrants and thank you for taking the time to read the stories and vote! :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 08:06:17 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: [Jan 2018] - Rebirth/Renewal - Voting Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 08:21:54 PM »
Halfway through the stories... And not a single one that really appeals to me, due to none of them matching the theme as I see it. Very odd. Lots of good stories, but out of context, in my eyes. I guess people tried to be original, and away from some basic phoenix phenomena, but might have sometimes gone too far or not obvious enough for my taste.
Lost of great, well written stories so far though, which makes me feel all the more distraught. I think I'll have to revise what I expected from the theme.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ryanmcgowan

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 04:16:33 AM »
Voted! Be interesting to see how many votes go to the same stories I chose  :)

I know @Jmack setup a feedback page for last months competition, like we used to have.  Any chance of this becoming a more regular occurrence again?
It's the silence that scares me. It’s the blank page on which I can write my own fears.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 09:27:03 AM »
I know @Jmack setup a feedback page for last months competition, like we used to have.  Any chance of this becoming a more regular occurrence again?
Sure, but it'll only go up at the end of the voting period, as not to influence people :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 03:05:50 PM »
Halfway through the stories... And not a single one that really appeals to me, due to none of them matching the theme as I see it. Very odd. Lots of good stories, but out of context, in my eyes. I guess people tried to be original, and away from some basic phoenix phenomena, but might have sometimes gone too far or not obvious enough for my taste.
Lost of great, well written stories so far though, which makes me feel all the more distraught. I think I'll have to revise what I expected from the theme.

Hmm, that's interesting. I think the theme does open up a broader terminology than just a simple phoenix though. Were it just supposed to be stories about phoenixes then surely it would be called Phoenix month!

If it helps, the way I interpreted the theme is the idea of something dying/failing and then either starting over of having something injected/happen that allows it to prosper again as it once was. For me, the ambiguity comes with whether the refreshed version of whatever the subject matter is turns out to be the same or different. In the phoenix's case, the thing that grows out of its death turns out to be exactly the same thing, only to grow towards the same ending--as in, it dies again--and the process repeats. But you could also interpret rebirth in the reincarnation way, whereby the death or change absolves the baggage of the previous existence, opening up new frontiers of experiences in whatever entity the new form takes.

All that said, if you wrote a sweet story about a phoenix I don't think you can go wrong! Dying and coming back to life is kind of the staple feature of what a phoenix does. Well, okay, that and the living inferno, but I'd assume the theme would help to nudge towards a plot that kills it at some point.
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 03:35:53 PM »
Unfortunately, sometimes my story just does its own thing, even if that makes a bit or way off the theme. This month that was certainly the case.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 04:08:21 PM »

Hmm, that's interesting. I think the theme does open up a broader terminology than just a simple phoenix though. Were it just supposed to be stories about phoenixes then surely it would be called Phoenix month!

Sorry that is not what I meant at all. Your description is what I expected, but not necessarily what I read so far. Many stories are pretty open ended, with the theme being implied, or to happen, or not the central point of the story.
Which is fine. Precisely, I suspected few would like to do a pure "perpetual rebirth" Phoenix style story. We had to get original. It's just that I feel that some of the stories are a bit too light handed with the concept. It could be "second chance" or "change" etc. It's like the theme is treated more broadly than when it's a physical object.
When we did "water", there was actual water in every story. Now here not every story features an obvious renewal or rebirth, or it's marginal, etc.
Not saying that it's bad! It doesn't make a story bad to be on the edge of the topic! It's just the proportion of stories that don't tackle the subject more bluntly that surprises me.
I mean, in mine I cover a man whose only magic is to be able to
Spoiler for Hiden:
kill and reshape, remold things and people as he brings them back.
[rebirth related stuff ya know]
So I think it's blunt as it comes. Necromancy is another art that could be quite blunt in this theme. I just expected more along those line, is all.
I guess people are just surprising this month, but quality stays high.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline D_Bates

• Story Critiquaire Extraordinaire and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Bridgeburner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 04:36:24 PM »
Ah, I get your point. You mean there aren't metaphorical 'deaths' happening in the subjects that is shaping their reincarnation as a fresh individual with a new sense of being?

That's certainly fair to say in my story, though I was focusing more on Renewal than Rebirth, which is arguably the easier half to come up with a plot for.

Or oops, I missed the bit on the bottom about necromancy. Okay, that's a way of looking at it that I didn't see, where you've made the lead an outsider with the ability to bring about rebirth/renewal rather than the subject themselves. Maybe the phoenix picture affected me, but that's a fair and interesting angle to tackle the theme on, so kudos to you.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 04:40:34 PM by D_Bates »
David Bates
Works in progress:
Ciara: A Faun's Tale - 90,000; The K.B.G. - 100,000; Maria and the Jarls of Jotun - 90,000; The Shame that lurks in Stableton - current project; Ezra'il - Plotted. TBC July 2018

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 05:08:36 PM »
I didn't use necromancy myself, but that was one way to go. Someone else did though. I don't remember if I've read your story yet, I read stuff all over the place until I'm sure I've read everyone and pick my favs.
Renewal is arguably harder to do, so kudos for picking this one!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 03:14:50 AM »

I think I actually managed to match the theme this month (which I tend to find a nearly impossible task given that my inner muse is an undisciplined anarchist) with my discussion-thread-story-about-Lanko, but I finished too late to be included!

Offline MattWillis

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 12:54:29 PM »
I just went ultra political/preachy and allegorical. I'm sorry if I dented the forum through being so heavy handed  ;)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 11:37:39 PM »
I just went ultra political/preachy and allegorical. I'm sorry if I dented the forum through being so heavy handed  ;)

I didn't think you were too heavy handed.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 01:06:15 AM »
Whereas I, I imagine, probably went too light-handed by choosing a renewal of the setting, rather than a character.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline MattWillis

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 01:22:55 AM »
Whereas I, I imagine, probably went too light-handed by choosing a renewal of the setting, rather than a character.

FWIW I didn’t think so - definite sense of pathos. I imagine we should steer clear of too much comment before the judging so I won’t say any more for now, but I felt there was definite chiarascuro.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2018, 04:01:33 AM »
I don’t believe we should discuss aspects of the posted stories before voting closes. Intentional or not it can have an effect on how the stories are viewed. To explain/comment a bout the style/ motivation or interpretation here once the story is submitted  immediately adds or detracts from what the story itself is meant to convey. I want to enjoy and judge a story purely on its own merits as it stands.

All those comments are legitimate and completely acceptable once voting closes and are useful feedback.

Discussion on how to approach a theme or speculation on how you may try beforehand in the discussion thread is a different thing.
ETA
That came across very demanding and formal, I apologise, but was meant to keep it fair for all the writers.

What do others here think?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 06:35:08 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic